Home

Another alternative installer/launcher

Gownaar

• 2 months later...

Residual is reportedly pretty much stable and bug free and is one's best bet for playing the game through the end. Apparently, this stuff I've made is not too bad, but problems are not excluded, and if problems occur halfway through the game, it's a major bummer - switching to Residual means losing your game progress, as it has its own savegame format. So I recommend using Residual to begin with. Although most of its features are redundant in this context, GrimInstaller can still serve fine as an installer and can be especially useful to German discs owners.

• 4 weeks later...

Gownaar..

I'm lost. The original installer isn't even working.

"The grim fandango setup program isn't working. You can install grim fandango by running SETUP.EXE directly from the Grim Fandango CD-ROM Disc A"

I do have the disc in when I try to install it though.

The quick and easy grim installer links aren't working; they always fail to load on the page.

I downloaded residual.

What all do I need besides the patch to even attempt to play the game?

I think I'll try yours next. I'm so bad with computers..

Why lose time to register and post you're going to try it, instead of just trying it and then posting if you still have problems? Anyway, if you tried it, you should have the game installed and patched; then you just need to point Residual to the install dir, which is straightforward and self-explanatory once you run Residual.

For future reference, using an installer is ok, but not a necessity with Residual. See http://www.residualvm.org/faq/#3_1 for manual setup instructions.

Edit: An officially stable release of ResidualVM is out since 2012/12/21. Regardless of whether the game is patched or not, the new Residual version refuses to launch the game unless the patch installer (gfupd101.exe) is placed in the install dir.

• 2 weeks later...

Seeing as Residual has gone all stable, there is really not much need for GrimInstaller in these postapocalyptic times. Since it's a shame to let a sexy installer go to waste and since there will always be people who prefer automated solutions, I've culled it down to GrimCopy utility. GrimCopy is a 'pseudoinstaller' that simply copies the files required by Residual plus downloads the patch.

Archived