Home

Animated Galaxy Map Texture

Sith Holocron

This was bound to happen eventually, I suppose . . .

When you've been in the Ebon Hawk, have you ever noticed that the texture of the Galaxy Map was a bit underwhelming? The size of that texture is 128x128. That tends to make it a low resolution affair.

I've upped the resolution to 512x512 and animated as well. There are now 9 frames of that sucker cycling around.

GalaxyMapScreenshot.jpg

You'll note from the picture above that I've used the Dantooine version but you'll not be able to make out that sort of detail when you see it in game. You will see it move however.

As Darth InSidious likes to say when releasing mods (and when quoting Hitchhiker's Guide to Galaxy): Share and enjoy!

Download here.

If folks are curious about the differences as seen in game, I'm happy to oblige.

shbefore.png

shaftern.png

Some notes about the texture itself:

1. The texture uses a resized version of the vanilla Galaxy Map - where you actually choose the planet you're visiting next - from The Sith Lords. Though this mod works in KOTOR, just be aware the planets seen are the TSL planet choices as seen in my "after" picture. As I used the vanilla version, the planets do not line up as seen in the TSL Galaxy Map Fix by bead-v.

2. As previously noted, they are the vanilla planet choices. That means it's not showing modded planets such as M4-78 or Coruscant. When both of those of mods are both available to the public and are both compatible with each other and the the latest version of TSLRCM, I will offer an updated version to everyone for TSL. Additionally, when Rhen Var is released, I'll update the map for that mod as well.

3. As for the KOTOR planet choices, I will be willing to update the map texture for it. However, I'm looking to see a planet released to the public before I do so: Sleheyron. (I don't wish to be creating Galaxy Map textures for the rest of time so I hope you'll understand why I might wish to wait for those major contributions to be included.)

• 4 weeks later...

hey SH ... first AMAZING job with the map, 512x512 and animated??? simply awesome :golfclap:

now, I need u to ... yes, I do need you to ... do something for me. Take a look at my personal galaxy map:

Show spoiler

That screencap didn't go well as u see with PrtScrn Key ... I was in a hurry, but you can see the "new" planets position clearly.

I'd like to have Cathalan and Coruscant reflected in MY galaxy map. I know most people can't use both planets sametime ... I did work pretty hard to manually made them compatible with all my stuff ... but here and there a bunch of folks might have both of these worlds up and running.

wouldn't u release alternative LEH_scre03.tga/txi with these 2 added?? u not leaving me/us behind, are you? :lol:

Coruscant will be in my next iteration - as well as M4-78 - on the TSL map. In addition, the TSL version will now have the planets lining up correctly because I used Bead-V's Galaxy Map Fix.

No word on a KOTOR Map Fix?

iteration? a map for Coruscant, other for M4-78, and so on?? not together? :raise:

for KotOR I/we need RedHawke's Ord Mandell's planet added, u do know where that one is right? ;)

I've just downloaded/checked Bead-v's galaxy map fix. U know, I do prefer the spreaded planets map but well ... having an alternative canonical map is great to switch to IMHO, so yes, if u don't have time for both versions, at least we'll have the canonical one :brow:

A short rant to follow . . .

I was considering putting Cathalan in the mod - briefly. Here's why I won't...

That mod was banned for reusing other artists materials like music from Queen and Hans Zimmer. The thread gets locked and then he acts like he's done nothing wrong and devolves into a schmuck. He gets perma-banned, The plagiarist posts stuff offiste about his being proud of being banned. Well, I'm proud of the the moderators stood up against his unlawful and unethical use of artists music - without any permissions obtained, mind you - and banished the mod. I am not fond of plagiarists (look for links about DarthBalor/Pikmin sometime) and I won't condone liars either.

Cathalan won't appear in my mod. Ever. /rant

Now that I have that out of my system, I'm going to wait on a new KOTOR version of the map for now. I'll get around to it eventually. Hey folks, besides Ord Mantell what other planet mods were there for K1?

That mod was banned for reusing other artists materials like music from Queen and Hans Zimmer. The thread gets locked and then he acts like he's done nothing wrong and devolves into a schmuck. He gets perma-banned, The plagiarist posts stuff offiste about his being proud of being banned. Well, I'm proud of the the moderators stood up against his unlawful and unethical use of artists music - without any permissions obtained, mind you - and banished the mod. I am not fond of plagiarists (look for links about DarthBalor/Pikmin sometime) and I won't condone liars either.

Now that I have that out of my system, I'm going to wait on a new KOTOR version of the map for now. I'll get around to it eventually. Hey folks, besides Ord Mantell what other planet mods were there for K1?

Didn't remember he was banned and never knew why ... :raise:

so, what's gonna be then? Coruscant with M4? just Coruscant? not Rhen Var already right? we DO NEED that planet finished ... :nod:

Coruscant will be in my next iteration - as well as M4-78 - on the TSL map. In addition, the TSL version will now have the planets lining up correctly because I used Bead-V's Galaxy Map Fix.

The word "version" was listed as singular. Therefore the map will have both M4-78 and Coruscant.

Didn't realize that arrogant prick was still around... spreading the agent orange.

EDIT:

To actually add to what Sith Holocron said, this mod does not deserve any extra treatment. It does not deserve any compatibility patches and it doesn't deserve to be talked about (I regret doing it lipservice now). He's still out there hosting it so people can download the mod (Hans Zimmer and Queen still included).

But the main thing is that the guy is just an inconsiderate jackass. It's his mod, so he can do no wrong apparently. Despite 100% of the characters in the mod having an otherworldy and contrasting orange glow, apparently this is somehow still supposed to look good....

Archived