Home

What the hell have you been doing

Alia

And why are you still here? Or, as in my case, back after eight or nine years? It's a legitimate question.

In those several years, I went to college, finished college, entered the workforce, got engaged, and every other sort of useful grownup stuff, all the while balancing it with a healthy dark side of online gaming, doodling, and ineffectual curses. I'm a big demon success story.

I have a very specific and rather blushworthy reason for a rekindled interest in Ye Olde Harbour and its rotten-fleshed denizens. Perhaps your confidences could inspire mine.

P.S. New undead swabbies, don't feel left out. Post a little about yourself and what compelled you to sign on with a ship of the living dead. Alia says. <3

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When last I was a regular poster at the Harbour, I had moved on with my folks to help take care of my stepdad, who had parkinson's disease. I later moved out when they got in-home care to come out and deal with his caretaking and I got my freedom back. He has since passed away...and now my mom is living with me at my place in town because she burned up all her savings on his treatment and now has to live on social security. :dozey: Win some...lose some.

In the meantime, I took up the art of building original spaceship models because I wanted to have my own Battlestar Galactica fleet. A few examples can be found in this thread: wormhole to XWA forum.

I've also been collecting weaponry, as discussed here at the Harbour in my 'Fine swords and knives...yar' thread.

The rest of my time? :max: I've been cooking for a living. You want fries with that?

It's great to see some of the oldies back, in fact I think you were one of the first people I spoke to on here Alia (back in your 'Captain Andy' days).

Wellll for me, my art business took off, and I was selling plenty of my paintings, enough to call it a full time job, supporting my family and doing quite well. I really didn't mean to stop visiting here but I just had less and less time. Days became weeks, became months, became years. We eventually had more kids, and with it less room for me to work on my art, so I ended up taking a bit of a break from my art, took an easy part time job and pretty much coasted through the last 3-4 years. I'm currently in the process of building myself a big garden studio/summerhouse to work from, so I can get back into my painting.

I kept trying to pop back every now and then, but probably visited only a handful of times between about 2005-2013, I got the urge whilst feeling nostalgic at the back end of last year, and thought it would be great if we could semi revive this place. It's great to see a bit of life in the old place and hope it stays a little bit lively. :)

Wellll for me, my art business took off, and I was selling plenty of my paintings, enough to call it a full time job, supporting my family and doing quite well. I really didn't mean to stop visiting here but I just had less and less time. Days became weeks, became months, became years. We eventually had more kids, and with it less room for me to work on my art, so I ended up taking a bit of a break from my art, took an easy part time job and pretty much coasted through the last 3-4 years. I'm currently in the process of building myself a big garden studio/summerhouse to work from, so I can get back into my painting.

I think I speak for everyone when I say we absolutely demand a thread with pictures on this topic. :max:

So, Alia...does McCoy know you have *ahem* urges, so to speak?

Dang murderbunny. Last time around, I don't think you mentioned a single concrete detail that would have pegged you as a human. And now you've developed several! I almost believe you're not god.

Sounds like some rough times but I hope you and mom are in spirits.

:max: I've been cooking for a living. You want fries with that?

Yes.

It's great to see some of the oldies back, in fact I think you were one of the first people I spoke to on here Alia (back in your 'Captain Andy' days).

Oh I remember. And I also want to see your art. And if you don't want to show us any of your art, make a new piece just for us.

*watches as Roy realizes he still doesn't really have time for silly forums and Alia's silly demands*

So, Alia...does McCoy know you have *ahem* urges, so to speak?

Shh. I'm trying to think of the perfect way to tell him.

I'll make it short ;)

The first time I delved into the online world of Monkey Island I was living in Saudi Arabia, still in school, still doing the things my parents wanted me to do. Graduated, applied to medicine in England, couldn't get in (choked on the one place that called me for interview) got sent to an army medical school in Bangladesh instead, survived, did a year of internship, went to England for a 'break' in November, did not go back, still want to be an animator.

Stuff at home's always been a bit complicated :p

Went through various fandoms but always found myself back at Monkey Island eventually :) Simply didn't have time or good enough internet to go online and stuff.

I think I speak for everyone when I say we absolutely demand a thread with pictures on this topic. :max:

Oh I remember. And I also want to see your art. And if you don't want to show us any of your art, make a new piece just for us.

*watches as Roy realizes he still doesn't really have time for silly forums and Alia's silly demands*

Haha, you cheeky monkeys. I'm not ready to show my work quite yet. My old work, I'm sorry to say was toshed out at high volumes, and I wasn't overly happy with it, but it sold like hot cakes so I shouldn't complain I guess. I'm currently trying to develop some new ideas....however this is all dependant on me building my studio/workshop(big shed), as working from the kitchen table is a major pain in the butt with 4 kids and 2 cats running around the place....I will update you on the studio/workshop(big shed) situation (maybe even this week). :)

Dang murderbunny. Last time around, I don't think you mentioned a single concrete detail that would have pegged you as a human. And now you've developed several! I almost believe you're not god.

Sounds like some rough times but I hope you and mom are in spirits.

Yes, I am a real human named Jim. ;) Parts of me are god-like, though...

Mom's great. Here, look:

Christmasmom_zps4e522f3c.jpg

Quit looking at the recycling piled up at the back door. :max:

Hi mom! :roll1:

Quit looking at the recycling piled up at the back door. :max:

No. I can gauge the levels of neatness, thirst, and handbags with only my eyes!!

Haha, you cheeky monkeys. I'm not ready to show my work quite yet.

We've been together for like 10 years, and what's this, shyness?! I guess there was a long break in there though, to be fair. I shall eagerly await studio updates.

I'll make it short ;)

The first time I delved into the online world of Monkey Island I was living in Saudi Arabia, still in school, still doing the things my parents wanted me to do. Graduated, applied to medicine in England, couldn't get in (choked on the one place that called me for interview) got sent to an army medical school in Bangladesh instead, survived, did a year of internship, went to England for a 'break' in November, did not go back, still want to be an animator.

Stuff at home's always been a bit complicated :p

Who needs to be home though? Borders mean nothing to this one!

Went through various fandoms but always found myself back at Monkey Island eventually :) Simply didn't have time or good enough internet to go online and stuff.

Might I be so bold as to inquire about your other areas of obsession? A fellow polyfan's curiosity. <3

Might I be so bold as to inquire about your other areas of obsession? A fellow polyfan's curiosity. <3

But of course! :D Amongst the games it's Tomb Raider (before the multiple reboots) and Psychonauts (FOR FREEDOM!! :giggle1:) Sadly I haven't played many other adventure games, which for some reason is a bit more difficult to find in Saudi Arabia and Bangladesh though now that I'm here I can totally catch up ru ha ha, starting with a Vampyre Story!

And I'm a glutton for animations that others deem unworthy, so I'm into Megamind and Rise of the Guardians too :D :D

I'm only mentioning fandoms which I have loved enough to attempt to write fanfictions on, though I think How to Train Your Dragon deserves a special mention too! :)

Ooh I also like a couple of animes, namely Black Butler and Darker than Black! :)

Monkey Island is most definitely the longest running fanship for me though.

Et tu? :D

• 2 weeks later...

OK, well then, I went to college, finished my BS and went straight back for an MS all in Computer Science, got a job, moved across the country and got a new job, moved back and got another job, got married, and somehow wound up back here. It's like I'm in groundhog day, no matter what I do I'm back here

OK, well then, I went to college, finished my BS and went straight back for an MS all in Computer Science, got a job, moved across the country and got a new job, moved back and got another job, got married, and somehow wound up back here. It's like I'm in groundhog day, no matter what I do I'm back here

Embrace it Skinkie, this is HOME! :D

I blame Roy. For everything.

I am simply helping you to recognise your long standing love affair with this place McCoy :thmbup1:

But of course! :D Amongst the games it's Tomb Raider (before the multiple reboots) and Psychonauts (FOR FREEDOM!! :giggle1:) Sadly I haven't played many other adventure games, which for some reason is a bit more difficult to find in Saudi Arabia and Bangladesh though now that I'm here I can totally catch up ru ha ha, starting with a Vampyre Story!

And I'm a glutton for animations that others deem unworthy, so I'm into Megamind and Rise of the Guardians too :D :D

I'm only mentioning fandoms which I have loved enough to attempt to write fanfictions on, though I think How to Train Your Dragon deserves a special mention too! :)

Ooh I also like a couple of animes, namely Black Butler and Darker than Black! :)

Monkey Island is most definitely the longest running fanship for me though.

Et tu? :D

I haven't even heard of Rise of the Guardians, and my fiance usually puts all the new animated movies in front of me. Weird! I'll have to tell him about it.

Hmmmmm. I like many, many books/shows/movies/games moderately, so let's recap the ones that actually destroyed my life with their cold, dead love. Since I don't write fanfiction.

LucasArts adventure games were my earliest and most damaging obsession, as they basically skewed my young brain with the idea that picking things up everywhere and using them with everything else was not only acceptable but necessary. They also led me here. Lifechanging obviously.

I reached pretty good depths of obsession with a few manga/anime series during high school. I can recall dazing multiple times a day in contemplation of Kenshin's selflessness and idiotic strength, and I was inspired to help more with the dishes because Kenshin always did the dishes. What. I don't even know. I also found Cowboy Bebop and NGE and Fruits Basket, for some reason, inspiring. Not really up on my anime anymore though.

Anyway, many years passed without any new instances of mindbending craziness about a game or series, and I thought it was because I was an adult and responsible now.

No.

I just hadn't watched Buffy when it was on TV, and now I'm on season 5 in my second watchthrough in two months, reading the comics, perusing fan Livejournals, thinking about the @*!($&*# characters 38927 times a day and bringing them up in unrelated conversations at a rate of twice per minute. I fricken listened to the score and trash 90s indie soundtrack in the car on my commute for three weeks straight!

*coughs*

Anyway.

I can feel everyone's kind concern and I thank you for it. I am slowly getting better.

This all sounds good. Do you like where you moved back to?

Buffy, huh? *breaks into song* Life's a show, and we all play our part, and when the music starts, we open up our hearts... *continues*

That is a healthy dosage of fandoms I see there :giggle1: It's incredible how much they affect our everyday lives, huh? I also had a tendency to collect junk because you never knew when it could come in handy in an adventure game sort of way! :giggle1: Also, going to school every day with my ever-braided ponytail made me feel like Tomb Raider :rofl:

Huh, I find it odd that an animation fanatic wouldn't have heard of Rise of the Guardians too! I mean I know it didn't do too well in the box office but it's still Dreamworks :xp:

Archived