Home

Project Big Box love: Recreating the boxes of Lucasarts games with the whole package: floppy disks, manual and wheel

bennywhitebread

• 7 months later...

Is this thread still live?  I'm looking to print a back half of the box to go with my genuine front half (although I'd really want the variant with Spiffy)?  I haven't found a high-res version of the IBM 16 Color US box...

Edited by Ubertrout

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2024 at 6:21 PM, Ubertrout said:

Is this thread still live?  I'm looking to print a back half of the box to go with my genuine front half (although I'd really want the variant with Spiffy)?  I haven't found a high-res version of the IBM 16 Color US box...

What game ?

On 5/20/2023 at 10:49 PM, Semsajah said:

It is self-adhesive photo paper A3 print at home on inkjet

The box I make also it’s 2mm cardboard the box get very hard and sturdy. It can’t be folded so I cut and glue it. 
then print and cut the paper, glue it on, fold it and finish 😃

It just needs to be exact size so the box and wrap match

yVlVixS.jpg
tPQGKKC.jpg
rWa2M1u.jpg
qlpqDkX.jpg
VAswV5b.jpg

I am late to the party on this one, but this is awesome beyond words. Chapeau bas!

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

also a late arrival to this project but you did an amazing job! I've been searching for templates and hi-res graphics to re-create some of my old games I used to own to make a showcase of them. just for me since I think that in those days there was a real work and love put into making those boxes.

I hope to be able to make some on my own but I would probably used the cardstock method and create the box and glue a hi-res print instead of sending it to be printed outsourced (not many options who can actually do it here and my sister and I are pretty good crafts and arts people)

• 6 months later...

Wow, the quality is incredible! Are you still making them? I'm French and I've always wanted to get Monkey Island 1 & 2 in big box editions, but it's almost impossible, let alone in this quality. You did some really good job on those.

• 3 weeks later...

'The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts'

I've seen plenty of box replacements for SNES or PSX on Etsy and Ebay. As of yet, there isn't much for pc retro era. If you own a proper scanner (1200 dpi, rescan all images 4 times with 90 degrees diff to get rid of dot matrix), clean it up in Affinity Photo and Lightroom. Boom! Would it be nice to share it with others... right? Well... that's where the grey area comes in. That's not exactly legal even with a NON PROFIT FAIR USE intensions. And, that's not all. It's also the community - people still want to make money. Doom Shareware box almost as new? £600 pounds please. I personally don't care if I have original poster sold 40 years ago from Alien 1979 in my room or if it was reprinted for a £10 on a nice glossy or matt paper by a seller on ebay. From loads of feedback people still are 'naaahh' about having a replacement.

For now, I'm preparing a Shareware Project to recreate some of the smaller boxes of the 90s. 300grm silk board, gloss laminate. Just need to prepare all the outlines for the creases and cuts. Have to read more about legality of sharing such material.

The main issues I'm facing - lack of source materials. Not many people care about it / have scanner / or /  want to share their treasures. MobyGames has resolutions around 1200x1200 which is only good for reference or Topaz AI upscale. Some of these old logos are pain in the arse to recreate. Thank god for whatTheFont as it recognises the fonts from images, so you can recreate writing in vector.

It it were up to me, I would like for any fan to be able to reprint those boxes in any local printer shop...  and put on their shelf... makes one feel nice - 'been there done that'... was good to be playing those titles back in the day.

image.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

creasing.jpg

• Like 1