Home

Games Done Quick

I watched some of his practice runs and there were a few things I learned and a few things I was amazed at. I do like his "swag" move of having Guybrush enter a scene like the cove strafing backwards because of huffing on a balloon. But they've also figured out how to keep Guybrush moving while fiddling within the inventory.

I also liked seeing breaking the snake-eating animation so that Guybrush isn't eaten but stuck on screen in an angry talking animation.

I wanted to make a news post about this whole thing beforehand, but his start time kept being pushed back because of donation events that added time to earlier streams. 😕

I saw the Maniac Mansion run live. I got a bit worried when I saw the speedrunner get frustrated, but they didnt let frustration stop them and finished out the run. Its just good showmanship.

And of course, Frozenspade is always a good watch at a GDQ. He's just really good at both performing a speedrun and giving live commentary, and this is no exception. Its a bit of a shame we couldn't hear the live audience during the song, but it doesn't matter that much.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2023 at 1:55 AM, Huz said:

Hah, the song is over 10% of the time spent on the run! Nothing they can do about that, of course, but it's pretty funny. I suppose they just have to enjoy it.

They specifically had a fundraising incentive to let that song play out, so I assume they did enjoy. And if not, the audience sure did!

Speedrunners don't get to hear songs and jokes in the games they run anymore, since they skip over those if at all possible, so the runner probably liked getting to hear it for once too.

On 6/7/2023 at 1:55 AM, Huz said:

Hah, the song is over 10% of the time spent on the run! Nothing they can do about that, of course, but it's pretty funny. I suppose they just have to enjoy it.

It's an any% speed run, and you can't really say that you've finished (or even played) Curse without listening, singing along and dancing to A Pirate I Was Meant To Be.

(Sorry non-English version players such as myself 🥲)

• Like 1

I want to track down the video of the current CMI speed runner champion. Watching FrozenSpades crush this game repeatedly at about 19 minutes makes me truly wonder how someone could beat his time in not mere seconds faster but by several minutes.

1 hour ago, Scummbuddy said:

I want to track down the video of the current CMI speed runner champion. Watching FrozenSpades crush this game repeatedly at about 19 minutes makes me truly wonder how someone could beat his time in not mere seconds faster but by several minutes.

https://www.speedrun.com/comi?h=Any_Mega-Monkey&x=zd3mey2n

spade is apparently 2nd, and someone else ist first with a bit over 15 minutes.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Huz said:

Aah, so you don't have to sit through the song. But wait! How are these guys skipping it completely?!

I get how you can bypass the song by pressing ESC, but how do you bypass the human urge to experience it?

Must be some kind of TAS tool or a hacked version of the game... very ඞ

• Haha 1

I believe they're tricking scummvm into thinking they're playing the Italian version of the game by adding that one in first, then replacing certain files with the english one and that makes it skip the song.

Edited by OzzieMonkey
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...