Home

New JK2 X-wing screenshot

GonkH8er

screen014.jpg

the xwing looks quite good.

textures are begininning to shape up well... (i love these ground textures theyre making!)

r2 droids to kill :)

and THE best thing...... is obviously you can walk around with your saber not ignited, which then furthers even more a theory i posted in another thread...... that you can use the saber handle by itself as a weapon.

now THAT would be 'tee yuu double eff' TUFF

beatings! :) your time has come buckeye!

----update----

just an update on the 'beatings' thing. i just noticed that he's holding the handle at the top, and so this would be awkward for using as a weapon, unless he were to bring it down like a dagger, or stab outwards. i spose a sort of 'brush of the face' in a forceful manner could cause some damage too.

oh well...... as long as i get to stand in a dark room with an online friend, just facing eachother with saber by our sides, then suddenly ignite them, and charge. sveeeet....

[ August 09, 2001: Message edited by: GonkH8er ]

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by GonkH8er:

<STRONG>

oh well...... as long as i get to stand in a dark room with an online friend, just facing eachother with saber by our sides, then suddenly ignite them, and charge. sveeeet....

</STRONG>

Haha! Damn straight!

This is a little off-topic but is that lightsaber getting less and less detailed.

I mean with every new pic i see where you can see the lightsaber, well it seems to me it just gets less and less detailed.

I mean just make a comparison with that pic where Kyle faces the "camera", so to speak, with his saber in a sort of 'ready' position and then compare it with the latest pic(s) and you'll see what i mean.

Re: the lightsaber. I seem to recall Tribes2 did something like this. Early T2 screenshots featured some very detailed textures, but by the time the game was ready (and the textures generalized for performance reasons), some of them ended up not looking nearly as nice as on the original screenshots. Saber looks the same to me, really. Kind of hard to tell at this resolution.

This is the Rebel Base at Yavin 4 right? Perhaps where Kyle meets Luke for an introductory briefing?

[ August 09, 2001: Message edited by: Wilhuf ]

Guest Krayt Tion

Mmmmm, sleek cylinder, smooth and gr...

:eek:

I mean, I appreciate details like this. Now we can really see it thumb to life when it is turned on, like gonk said...

The posturing is pretty good too... the position of his hand on the saber assumes that the 'on button' is near the top of the saber. After all, when you have your saber out in rest position, you want to be able to just flick a finger or thumb at any sign of danger and start the blade as quickly as possible. Thus the hand must be in a position where a finger or thumb can reach the button: the extra second it takes to move you hand in position to do so could be a second too late.

The texture detail on the X-Wing is incredible, and the floor and wall textures don't look too shabby either(!).

I agree, though, the saber detail doesn't look as great as it appears in some of the other screenshots (and, to refer to a point raised in another thread, it also does look a bit too long). One explanation might be that we are now seeing the back of the saber and that the power cells are out of sight. I have to agree, too, that the way Kyle is holding the saber looks a bit odd.

Minor niggles aside, however, another very impressive screenshot. Ooh, I can feel my mouth beginning to water. :)

[ August 09, 2001: Message edited by: ed_silvergun ]

Guest Krayt Tion

I should have pointed out that it shouldn't matter if there is a saber button at the top, there shouldn't be one so high up.

Balance. Easier to manipulate objects when they are balanced in your hand. In this case Kyle should have a more centered grip on the saber. Doesn't have to be dead center but it should still be moved down some.

Originally posted by Sarcastic Saint:

<STRONG>This is a little off-topic but is that lightsaber getting less and less detailed.

I mean with every new pic i see where you can see the lightsaber, well it seems to me it just gets less and less detailed.

I mean just make a comparison with that pic where Kyle faces the "camera", so to speak, with his saber in a sort of 'ready' position and then compare it with the latest pic(s) and you'll see what i mean.</STRONG>

Quake 3 has a Level of Detail system that Raven is probably using to make lower-detailed versions of the same model, so the lightsaber you see at a distance will most likely be a textured box, while up close it'll be more detailed...

Its probably like that because otherwise it would get annoying. Your in a small tunnel or room with your lightsaber out and it just cuts along the wall all the time. This way you could have it ready, but not on :). VERY IMPRESSIVE IDEA....just shows what surprises Raven have in store for us.

Originally posted by Seryl Cann:

<STRONG>I've looked at the new screenshot a bit closer and noticed there isn't any shadow under the X-Wing. Maybe they are still working on the shadows...</STRONG>

It depends... Again, from what I know of Quake 3, if the X-Wing can move or be destroyed, it may not get shadows. If they make it into a solid piece of architecture, it will eventually get shadows.

I want to know what is wrong with the HUD. I think it is good (even though it is likely to change), clear and precise. The numbers tell you in a second what you have in reserve. I hated the HUD in JK, so unfriendly, you couldnt tell exactly how much force you had left, and who needs a big HUD taking up space. I prefer weapon displays that "hide" after you have chosen a weapon and only come back up when you go to select a new weapon.

Archived