Home

Something I'm worried about

Mafia_Jabba

The way I see it though, having Luke Skywalker involved(possibly playing with him in Co-op since they said Kyle entrusted his saber to him, and they said Kyle has a saber and a blaster from the beginning of the game meaning he retrieves it before the game starts), it will definatley get me going since I grew up with Skywalker as my hero. I honestly thought JK1 should've starred Luke. So I'm really happy to see Raven is turning to the roots of the Star Wars saga by adding Luke(hopefully). To people like me, the story will instantly be immersive.

Guest ZeroXcape

Hehe, I wouldn't worry about it. Raven can do Star Trek w/o messing it up. Plus, LucasArts best feature is their story telling ability. I'm sure they'll be laying out the story.

But it does raise a good question. What really is LEC's role in Jedi Outcast? Are they producing content such as models, textures and sounds? Story? Advice? Restrictions? Or are they just a publisher?

Probably safe to say they will do all of these things. Anyone have any info on this?

Good question.

If it's anything like the Metroid Prime arrangement for the GameCube, Retro studios is responsible for the content. Nintendo has final say in everything as far as OK'ing content and making suggestions ( or demands! ) as to what needs to be changed. It would make sense that the Raven and LEC arrangement is similiar? I'd imagine having both companies developing and sharing content would be a nightmare to coordinate.

[ August 10, 2001: Message edited by: Rancor ]

Originally posted by Mafia_Jabba:

<STRONG>Will Raven's lack of Star Wars experience mess up their story telling capabilities in the star wars universe...Will the story be as dynamic and emotionally powerfull as what we've seen in the past.</STRONG>

Well they didnt have any Star Trek experience and ended up making the best Star Trek game to date.....with a very gripping storyline.....so im not worried, and you shouldnt be either.

The "best Trek game to date" most certainly isn't saying much. They created a vanilla shooter and stuffed it in Voyager trappings; it's tough to screw Voyager up any more than it did itself. The game was also extremely short, and the "gripping storyline" was dead mediocre.

Entertaining in its way of course. A good, solid title, but not the great thing it's made out to be around here... IMO.

I'm not overly worried or even pessimistic about JK2, but it's never a good idea to get too hyped up about a game; you're just setting yourself up for a fall if something does go wrong. And, often, pushing your own expectations higher than any developer (Even Raven, who are obviously riding high lately) can cater to, so that the end product is often a little disappointing.

It's just been my experience that when waiting for a title: hope is great, confidence is okay, blind faith is ultimately destructive. **shrug** :)

well, the ST universe is already so goofed, that its impossible to goof it anymore... IMO compairing the SW universe to the ST universe, the small inconsistances in SW are not much compaired to the inconsistancies in ST. of course, im not an avid fan of ST, but i think i know enough about it to make a good judgement... i think just about anything you slapped into the EF box would have looked good...

Originally posted by Denise:

<STRONG>The "best Trek game to date" most certainly isn't saying much. They created a vanilla shooter and stuffed it in Voyager trappings; it's tough to screw Voyager up any more than it did itself. The game was also extremely short, and the "gripping storyline" was dead mediocre.</STRONG>

But it was a better story than you'd be likely to find on a regular episode of Star Trek, so not a bad effort. Personally, I found the story to be very good, entertaining and gripping. Not exactly Lord of the Rings and it wouldn't rank as an all-time classic ;) but it was fun, and that's what matters most. The only bit I didn't like was the final boss. His cries of "tremble before me puny human" and "I shall destroy you" added to the fact the poor bloke's name was Voldorth or something made the whole thing decidedly B-movie-ish. But minor niggles aside, I was generally impressed by EF's storyline.

Originally posted by Wilhuf:

<STRONG>What really is LEC's role in Jedi Outcast? Are they producing content such as models, textures and sounds? Story? Advice? Restrictions? Or are they just a publisher?</STRONG>

Aside from what was mentioned in the <A HREF="http://www.lucasarts.com/static/pr/outcast.htm">press release</A> ("LucasArts will assist in the game's development with Raven, with expertise contributed by members of Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II team") I don't think anything is known of LEC's involvement in JKO. Now, all repeat after me: "I know nooothink..." ;)

Guest ZeroXcape
Originally posted by Wilhuf:

<STRONG>But it does raise a good question. What really is LEC's role in Jedi Outcast? Are they producing content such as models, textures and sounds? Story? Advice? Restrictions? Or are they just a publisher?

Probably safe to say they will do all of these things. Anyone have any info on this?</STRONG>

I'll try to find the specifics, great Q!

Originally posted by Mafia_Jabba:

<STRONG>Will Raven's lack of Star Wars experience mess up their story telling capabilities in the star wars universe...Will the story be as dynamic and emotionally powerfull as what we've seen in the past.</STRONG>

Well, to be totally honest, there have not been that many dynamic, emotionally powerful stories set in the Star Wars universe. Having read quite a few of the EU novels, there were not that many that really gripped me and kept me feverishly turning the pages. In fact, I'd even go so far as to say some of the stories are bordering on Star Trek territory, which for my money is not a good thing.

Of this series of games, of course, only Jedi Knight really stands out with it's story, which introduced some original elements (concerning the Jedi), that fitted very well in the mythology of Star Wars. Kyle's quest for knowledge, the temptation of revenge, the conflict within were all executed well throughout the game (excusing some of the acting, of course).

But that journey is past. Where next for Kyle? What more has he to discover about himself, the Force, and the universe in which he lives? Sequels are always harder, because you must begin another journey, and try to explore uncharted territory without boring your audience to death.

It seems that Jedi Outcast will already not have the tension of Jedi Knight, in that there is no moral gameplay. In JK, the path of Light and of Darkness was always in the back of your mind, because your actions could tip the balance.

So if anything the SP story is going to have to be better than Jedi Knight to compensate for some lack of features. In order to evoke the same atmosphere of emotion, I think they will have to maintain a focus on some aspect of Kyle's life that is painful or at least important to him, and that needs to be resolved.

As for recapturing the dynamism of Jedi Knight, I don't think the gameplay is going to be a problem. I think the problem will arise in the in-engine cut scenes. It is going to be extremely difficult to get an engine-generated character to express the necessary range of emotion, and the nuances of character necessary to drive the story forward.

As I have said before, I think they really need to view these cut scenes in the same way as directing a movie. Camera angles, close-ups, and almost constant motion will be necessary to convey a real sense of action.

Seeing a living person at rest, and seeing an in-engine character at rest are two entirely different things. Computer-generated characters, no matter their form, still cannot fully convey the range of human emotion that a real actor can.

I also hope that the in-engine cut scenes do not only follow Kyle. It is important to see what the bad guys are up to - which was done in Jedi Knight, if you recall. It is difficult to tell a story thoroughly from only one perspective - in fact, I can't think of a single story or movie off-hand where you follow only the central character.

So Raven's task will be extremely difficult, although not impossible.

I wish them luck. ;)

Archived