Home

Voice chat

TornSoul

Do you guys think voice chat in multiplayer would be a good addition to JK2?

I think it could be handy if there is a good team-based multiplayer mode. It's a lot easier than typing in things while trying to block a lightsaber.

Though it might take up a lot of bandwidth, which would make the lag worse.

Does anyone have any experience with voice chat in games? I think Delta Force Land Warrior has it, but I've never played that online.

I've used RW, and like Canoli said, as long as you know the people, and there's not a bunch of retards on the other end, it's generally good fun and a hell of a lot quicker than typing.

It'll be cool if it distorted your voice into a Darth Vader impersonation! :D

I hate voice chat, just a waste of bandwidth... Learn TO type damn it! :cool: heh also in the fact... do u wanna know whos on the other end? heh great for ure next door friend or the one across town but the internet hmmm... I ceartinly don't especicaly how some type in the chat rooms heh imagine hearin em haha.

I think vox would be a great addition to JKO, but I'd just as well use existing third party software, like Roger Wilco, Teamsound or Sidewinder Gamevoice.

Roger Wilco is kind of cool in that you can host a RW dedicated server. Gamers who login can create their own channels. Or supposing you don't have extra high bandwidth lying around, you can even allocate a channel on someone else's dedicated Roger Wilco server, if they've made it public.

Although Teamsound blows Roger Wilco away in terms of channel management (e.g., ability to talk to and listen to one or many specific voice channels at a keystroke(like 'offense', 'defense' or 'global')). But, it didn't seem too stable last I used it.

As long as the mute key continues to work, internet voice is a great idea.

[ September 07, 2001: Message edited by: Wilhuf ]

[ CS 1.3 release update] [ Friday, September 7, 2001 ]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

As you can tell, the anticipated "first week" of September has come and gone. Things change quickly with large releases like this, so I can only give my best estimate. Now it's looking like in the next 2 weeks (hopefully next week, but that could change). There are a lot of factors, such as Retail and Mod version issues lining up with Half-Life patches to support the new Valve technology. Regardless, we really think you guys are going to like the voice communication and proxy spectator mode -- both new features will add great depth to all Half-Life mods. We've tested the voice comm even on the slowest connections; everybody will be able to enjoy it. Keep an eye on cs.net -- things are about to get crazy.

[ cliffe ]

www.counter-strike.net

[ September 08, 2001: Message edited by: Bart-=[JCS]=- ]

what about those sound macros that they had in duke nukem 3d? have they been in any game since???

if they were filled with cool one-liners, commants, taunts, movie quotes etc then that would be quite quick and fun.

mind you.. i replaced my duke ones with simpson quotes... ;)

Voice taunts, like in UT would be nice, though I think there should still be the option to turn them off. ; )

Btw, I'm sure several games had them since Duke. I know for a fact that both Outlaws and Mysteries of the Sith had them (MotS let you add your own wav files as well as in-game, +text macros).

Heck, even Doom had text macros, but those and sounds would be nice (but again, the ability to turn them off to avoid annoyance would be something I'd ask for).

They were much more fun than the text taunts in Q3. Animation taunts are okay, too (though crotch/butt grabbing is probably unnecessary, aka Quake2).

As to voice chatting, I think Roger Wilco would do the job I suppose, hopefully it will support the new game.

Kurgan

[ September 10, 2001: Message edited by: Kurgan ]

The voice macro thing is the way to go. Outlaws used it very well. You could assign any 10 of a hundred or more taunts to the function keys and when you triggered them you heard it yourself as well. JK used a similar system but you couldn't hear yourself, (I never figured out why).

The ideal would be the ability to assign 10 (20 with shift) or so voice remarks to your keyboard with an extensive list of remarks to assign and be able to trigger them to play for your team or to everyone.

The remark choices would include all the taunts we love, but also have an extensive selection of commands like: follow me, cover me, incoming, he's at our base, and so on. Then you could communicate with your team mates without stopping to type, and you wouldn't miss a message because of it scrolling out of view to fast.

Archived