Home

The Raven Comparrison

CaptainRAVE

Observe \/ September04-640.jpg

to

screen026.jpg

Ok, Unreal 2 "looks" good there but does it or does it not lok stupid...

I mean the guy is firing a rocket launcher to a guy about 2 metres away form him and the explsion looks very short period of timew liekish and erm... Unreal.

But if u see my point the graphics in u2 are damn good and JK2's are above average BUT jk2 looks more sensible...

Here's another example.........

CGImage03-640.jpg

to

screen025.jpg

The character seems to be just running in dodging slow moving bullets and gonig on a simple maniac killnig spree (nice but old hat)

Compared to jk2 it is more stealhy and ahs more thinking to do with it as did jk1... u had to plan ur jumps and develop tactics and routes around maps..

Once again it "looks" better but you can see jk2 has more solid gamepley.

I hope this comparrison helped you.

:)

[ November 26, 2001: Message edited by: Agen_Terminator ]

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by RaoK:

<STRONG>are these two better? the bottom one has the nice lightning effect, but everything else besides the saber is too plain. dunno maybe its me</STRONG>

Yes, these two are better (especially the first one, because it shows a sense of scale that resembles that of JK's maps, although it's not quite as 'dwarfing' yet).

It's not just you that has some issues with the dullness of JKO's world design, I've voiced my concerns before and although the quality seems to be improved I think there's still some way to go before JKO stops looking somewhat like an Elite Force mod.

Quake II looked better than JK

That might be true from a technical point of view, but IMO Q2 has got nothing on JK when it comes to variety and 'colour' of level design and a sense of (overwhelming) scale.

I don't think it would be too outrageous to call JK the better looking game allround.

sorry to say, but I'm not going to play star wars over unreal because "it is more real", I would play it by what is funner. To me, dodging rockets and seeing huge explosions and massive weapons is fun. not saying that JKII wont be fun, but _at_the_moment_ U2 looks like a sure thing, while JKII looks like a maybe.

Originally posted by X-Vector:

That might be true from a technical point of view...

I was talking from a technical POV. ;)

Of course JK's levels were far better designed. When I played the first level for the first time, it blew me away with it's sheer scale. QII didn't even come close, in terms of level design, secret areas, atmosphere...I could go on, but I won't bore you. :D

The problem now, though, is that the situation is reversed. JK2 is being made with a modified Q3:TA engine...but other engines now look superior, and will potentially handle greater sizes in terms of terrain, potentially allowing some mind-blowing level design. The key word there is potentially. So JK2 is basically in the same position as it's forerunner...it may not look as pretty, and it has strong competition.

But the real test will be in the gameplay, the level design, the strength of the story, the depth of the characters, the AI, the choices in gameplay, and the flexibility of the weapons. JK2's aces up the sleeve are, of course, Force powers, and the strong melee element that other titles will probably lack.

*draws a deep breath*

I guess this game just gets me fired up. :D

[ November 26, 2001: Message edited by: StormHammer ]

did u spend 10 minutes thinking up all those precise words?

Think back and jk2 is in the position jk was......but it remained very popular even though crappy graphics BUT was still superior!

Q2 could have had much more terrain but it screwed up it's chance. Let's hope that history is as kinmd to jk2 as it wqas to jk.

Still waiting for peps to shoot this guy

since when was jk popular? 1000 people on the zone is nothing, while counter-strike (with 1998 graphics) still has 100,000 people on daily. same with Everquest...even if you say SP was the main JK focus, I would still say it did not sell as much as Q2 or HL

if you didn't like JK you should go whore the ut forums up, cause thats one of the main reasons we're all here.

JK2's graphics aren't that far behind ut2's, which is incredible. UT has no glowing lightstick for me to skewer ninnies with who don't realize that JK was game of the year and won a shiz load of accolades.

if yer a graphics monkey, go play a different game. we're here because we really dug JK, and we want to play its successor with all the fervor we played the 1st one with.

btw, quake 4 is going to be a raven title developed using the doom3 engine. there is no quake 4 engine, and there won't be for another 3-4 years. if you're going to make unrealistic demands of our wonderful programmers from god [cough raven cough], at least get yer damn facts straight.

Lucky

Originally posted by Lucky:

<STRONG>if you didn't like JK you should go whore the ut forums up, cause thats one of the main reasons we're all here.

</STRONG>

who said I didn't like jk/jk2? I wouldn't be here if I didn't, I'm just trying to get a point across that, "Jedi Knight II may not be the most perfect game ever created" only time will tell

Originally posted by RaoK:

<STRONG>

who said I didn't like jk/jk2? I wouldn't be here if I didn't, I'm just trying to get a point across that, "Jedi Knight II may not be the most perfect game ever created" only time will tell</STRONG>

and unreal 2 might be the same...lets not forget when unreal 1 came out it was meant to be the game that put the quake series in the grave...visually impressive...gameplay wise - one of the worst and the most boring FPS's i've ever played in my life...the only thing that saved that engine was its improvement and subseqently UT...no one plays unreal 1 but they still do play quake 2, alot...with HL...its main saving grace is the fact that it is a good game...even thought visually it suffers abit...and it most likely will be the same for JKO...and ill say this - raven have so far made impressive, fun and pretty good games to date...SoF, elite force...and they have made good use of the tech available...if they waited for the doom 3 engine it would take more time just to see what the engine was capable of...the Q3 engine is by and large the best engine out there right now...and it will last as long as the Q2 and even the Q1 engine...so wait until the game comes out before u start your critique...but be prepared to eat your hat

if you didn't like JK you should go whore the ut forums up, cause thats one of the main reasons we're all here.

JK2's graphics aren't that far behind ut2's, which is incredible. UT has no glowing lightstick for me to skewer ninnies with who don't realize that JK was game of the year and won a shiz load of accolades.

if yer a graphics monkey, go play a different game. we're here because we really dug JK, and we want to play its successor with all the fervor we played the 1st one with.

btw, quake 4 is going to be a raven title developed using the doom3 engine. there is no quake 4 engine, and there won't be for another 3-4 years. if you're going to make unrealistic demands of our wonderful programmers from god [cough raven cough], at least get yer damn facts straight.

Damn right... can't agree more.

Unreal 1 failed quite miserably but UT covered it's tracks... They couldn't make it a good fps story/sutff but thye decided to use it to make it a bot game which was the wisest choice they ever made and that's the only reason thye are making this because the fan-base for UT will help it flow.

If it's the same people do it again with the same things then it might be eye-candy but not candy! (quote the candy if ya want)

since when was jk popular? 1000 people on the zone is nothing, while counter-strike (with 1998 graphics) still has 100,000 people on daily. same with Everquest...even if you say SP was the main JK focus, I would still say it did not sell as much as Q2 or HL

You see the reason.. go visit another thread where they are talknig abotu why the ozne damaged jk and to correct jk DID sell more than q2. Mayeb not asm uch as half life thoguh it did sell more than most game...

Kapeesh?

They were gutted :D

and unreal 2 might be the same...lets not forget when unreal 1 came out it was meant to be the game that put the quake series in the grave...visually impressive...gameplay wise - one of the worst and the most boring FPS's i've ever played in my life...the only thing that saved that engine was its improvement and subseqently UT...no one plays unreal 1 but they still do play quake 2, alot...with HL...its main saving grace is the fact that it is a good game...even thought visually it suffers abit...and it most likely will be the same for JKO...and ill say this - raven have so far made impressive, fun and pretty good games to date...SoF, elite force...and they have made good use of the tech available...if they waited for the doom 3 engine it would take more time just to see what the engine was capable of...the Q3 engine is by and large the best engine out there right now...and it will last as long as the Q2 and even the Q1 engine...so wait until the game comes out before u start your critique...but be prepared to eat your hat

:rolleyes:

At the moment the q3 engine is the best out there... i don't see what ur problem is.

(laugh histerically while pointing a gun at mister monkey head )

*bang i got him first... sorry :D:D

[ November 27, 2001: Message edited by: Agen_Terminator ]

I haven't been to this forum since July, and all of a sudden I come back and within 5 posts I'm hated again...

is it just me? or does anyone else sense the irony?

btw I used to be Kwup, if anyone remembers me

[ November 27, 2001: Message edited by: RaoK ]

I haven't been to this forum since July, and all of a sudden I come back and within 5 posts I'm hated again...

is it just me? or does anyone else sense the irony?

btw I used to be Kwup, if anyone remembers me

Blame the monkey...

Wait a minute... didn't i shoot kwup a lnog time go.....?

I can remember shooting something with a monkey at the bottom.

StormHammer i wasn't insulting him... i was "abusing his right".. i mean i mean no insult....

BTW

Congrats on becoming our new MOD.

Archived