Home

Multiplayer

TornSoul

When I heard Ravensoft was going to do JK2, the first thing I thought about was ST:V Elite Force. It is a good game. Good single player, balanced weapons, a bit short (but I think it was Ravensoft themselves that said JK2's SP would be longer than EF's). The only thing that really disapointed me about EF was the multiplayer, which was basicly Q3 with ST skins and weapons.

We don't know much yet about JK2's multiplayer. I really hope it will be better and more interresting than EF's. A good SP is important, but it's the multiplayer that can keep a game interresting for a long time, like it did in Jedi Knight 1.

Given the confirmation there will be Force powers and Star Wars based weapons, I think it will be at least as good as the original Jedi Knight.

Actually I enjoy Elite Force multiplayer, especially now that the 1.2 patch added in new gametypes such as Assimilation, Elimination, Disintegration, and Specialities for class based play.

As long as Raven/LEC deliver some good editing tools, such as Radiant, the user community could develop their own multiplayer gametypes and extend the life of Jedi Outcast for years.

Originally posted by Wilhuf:

<STRONG>Actually I enjoy Elite Force multiplayer, especially now that the 1.2 patch added in new gametypes such as Assimilation, Elimination, Disintegration, and Specialities for class based play.</STRONG>

Just to be clear, the 1.2 only added new skins, fixed some bugs, etc...Those new game modes were only in the expansion pack.

As for JK2, I think the only official multiplayer modes right now are Deathmatch and Capture the flag. Hopefully, the devs will add some more.

I'd like to see class-based MP modes, kinda like in MOTS, but with more classes. It could be kinda like Team Fortress, only "Jedi-style." :)

As for JK2, I think the only official multiplayer modes right now are Deathmatch and Capture the flag. Hopefully, the devs will add some more.

Actually, alot of us are still waiting on a Capture the Flag confirmation. As far as I know, based on the previews, only the following have been confirmed:

¤ Standard Deathmatch

¤ Lightsaber Only Deathmatch

¤ Co-op Mode

This information can be found in pc.ign.com's preview from E3.

Although we didn't get to see multiplayer in action today, the team is hoping to support up to eight people in three multiplayer modes: standard deathmatch, lightsaber only deathmatch, and co-op mode.

• 5 months later...

Unfortunatly LucasArts FAQ says no COOP (See Below). I think this is stupid. deathmatch turns into a big mess of run shoot run. A friend of mine and I will actually buy a game just because it has coop in it. How hard can it be to allow a few people to play through the single player missions/maps. If memory serves, we were able to do that way back in Doom.

FAQ

3.03 Will there be a co-operative (co-op) mode?

There will not be co-op play where multiple players can play through the single-player missions simultaneously. Team deathmatch multiplayer is planned, however.

Like OCH said, game engines are a great deal more sophisticated these days, with developers using scripts throughout.

It is a great deal more difficult these days to include a good Co-Op in the SP part of the game...and you have to judge if enough people will want to play the game that way. After all, would it be worth the effort of including a co-op mode if you think that not many people will actually play it?

I remember reading about the RUNE co-op mod, and the number of changes they had to make in order to make it even feasible to play. It took them several months.

Perhaps co-op could be included in JK2, but it would probably mean delaying the release of the game, throwing the necessary resources at it, and hoping that a large percentage of people will play it.

Talk about thread revival. :D

If Memory serves, Rune's MOD was done by a third party, not the Game Developers.

I find it hard to believe that not many people would want to play coop. I doubt I have played more than a couple of hours of DM, etc. since before Quake3 came out. That is also why team based MODs have come out, people what to play with others, not against.

Here's my thoughts:

It's rather obvious they will have DM, CTF, Team Deathmatch, and hopefully an Assault mode. For co-op, well that's pretty tough. What would be better is to just have class based team play, like in RtCW (and others) where you have to work as a team. Users can always make their own co-op levels.

I'm more looking forward to 1 on 1 lightsaber duels in multiplayer. I hope JK2 is longer than Elite Force in single player, but I wonder if the level's will be really big? I remember reading Mike Gummelt's plan where he said that Elite Force had a lot of levels were split since the file sizes were huge with the Quake 3 engine. So I doubt we'll see the really big levels like in JK1

Originally posted by ogre:

If Memory serves, Rune's MOD was done by a third party, not the Game Developers.

Hmmm...yeah, I already said it was a Mod. I'm fully aware it was a Mod team that did the RUNE Co-op Mod...although the developers were consulted, and gave some assistance. ;)

As for not wanting Co-op...well, a lot of people do, but given the constraints of time and budget, it might not be feasible at this time. That was my fundamental point. ;)

perhapes if they sell enough copies of JO they might make an Add-on pack (new story line etc.)that can be play with a friend like the PS2 half-life think. And maybe sometimes your friend isn't around (or...u dont have friends)so maybe you could switch characters like the PS2 half-life thing.

While a proffessionally done expansion(s) could really add life to the game, I am hoping deep down that the JK2 team puts as much stuff as they can cram into the first installment (out of the box).

It just makes it easier for most people, since often folks don't realize there is more content (like with the MotS community) and you end up with fewer games.

Some sort of backwards-compatability with expansion packs (for example like with Rune and RuneHOV) would be nice too, when the expansions start rolling out (I'm hoping JK2 is successful so this is a reality!).

Lots of potential there.. I'd personally like to see a "Dark Side" type of scenario for a SP expansion. ; )

Kurgan

• 1 month later...

I am happy to see that some of moderator answer in hard difficult topic - Coop mode.

But i am not really satisfied with answer "not too many pplz want to play coop".

I am starting to believe that there is some kind of conspiracy "programmers agains gamers". Many many ppl on many forums complaints about not including coop mode. Thats in my opinion proof that there is need for such mode. Developers say "there is difficult it take time etc". Ok if u want release game as fast as possible u can release patch some time later. Please do not ignore us gamers because on this and on many other forums i clearly see that many of us WONT buy game just because it havent coop mode. And about "difficulty" with creating such mode i just wantto say that if modders managed to add coop to many games ,developers could do this with ease for sure.

SO we are ignored again.

Archived