Home

Back from the brink...

StormHammer

This is for anyone who may have wondered why I haven't posted for a few days.

I was in hospital. I had a very severe asthma attack last Sunday morning, and was rushed into hospital. They let me out about 5 hours ago (how's that for dedication to these forums? ;-) ).

I wondered in mid-attack if this was the big one...but I'm still here, so I guess it wasn't. This time.

After living with asthma for 22 years, I'm pretty sick of it, but it won't go away. It just seems to get worse. For many years it was a silent killer, stalking it's victims, and being reported as heart failure (among others). Now it is recognised for what it is. However, at a time when more and more people are being diagnosed with it (in Britain at least), it is still misunderstood by those who have it, and still not widely recognised as one of the most serious ailments around.

Too many people mistake asthma for unfitness. I remember my father never accepted it while I was growing up...dismissing it as being all in the mind. I guess part of the reason for this post is to raise awareness about the condition.

Just in case you missed the point...ASTHMA KILLS. If you have it, don't ignore it. If you don't, recognise that people who do have it are at risk. Sudden risk. An attack can happen any time, anywhere, for any reason. Just make sure you're prepared for it...or it could be your last.

So I'm back from the brink (and from the hospital) for the fourth time in 10 years, and wondering when the next one's coming.

I can't help but think about Doug Meyers - that nice guy in the game industry who died from asthma at the age of 36. It plays on my mind because I'm just two years short of that. In a way, that's my milestone.

I can only hope I'm here long enough to give my two sons (eldest 4 years, youngest nearly 2 years) a good start in life.

I guess I'd better stop before I get totally mushy. :p

Oh, and it's good to be back. ;-)

[ October 18, 2001: Message edited by: StormHammer ]

I'm sorry to hear you've been having a bad time of it, I didn't realise your asthma was as acute as that. Still, good to have you back, and I'm glad to hear you're better now. :)

I can empathise with you a bit, being no stranger to sudden attacks of unexplained ailments myself. For years, I suffered from sudden, seemingly random bouts of agonising stomach pains which occurred once every 18 months or so. Eventually, about 2 1/2 years ago, my appendix burst (in the middle of an exam) and I was taken to hospital. It then took our esteemed National Health Service's finest nearly a week to diagnose what I had because my symptoms were not classic appendicitis symptoms.

So, I know what you've been through the last few days... hospitals really are horrible, depressing places to be... not the sort of place I'd want to go to recover from an illness! :D

Like Ed, I didn't realise your asthma was that bad. Sorry about that. Hope you get better soon.

Are you into herbal remedies? I was quite sceptical about those sort of things but they do work y'know. It wont obviously cure it all but it may help...

wardz

Guest Krayt Tion

I wish you the best of health in the future.

There is perhaps nothing scarier than sudden life-threatening attacks from your own body... I don't have anything recurring but there have been times, one in particular, where something happened to me suddenly and for all I felt and thought my life was over. For those of you who have never experienced anything like that, hope that you don't ever have to.

You have my sympathies... and welcome back.

Originally posted by wardz:

Are you into herbal remedies? I was quite sceptical about those sort of things but they do work y'know. It wont obviously cure it all but it may help...

I tried some herbal stuff in the past, but for some reason I stopped. Maybe I'll try it again, and get back into a more rigid regime of control.

Krayt: Sorry to hear about your own experience. Things like this certainly bring your life back into sharp focus, and make you realise just how precious life is.

Originally posted by OnlyOneCanoli:

One of my friends has a pretty bad "case", I guess you would call it, of asthma. Poor guy... I've seen first hand some of the things he goes through.

I hope your friend is getting all the support he needs, both medical and emotional.

Originally posted by matt-windu:

The closest thing I've had to a near-death experience was the time a tree fell on me. Afterwards, I went inside, grabbed a pepsi, and watched TV...oh yeah...my parents insisted on my going to the emergency room...go figure.

Because of the tree, or because of the Pepsi? ;)

Originally posted by Darth Simpson:

Glad to have you back Storm! Here's to hoping you won't have to go through this again!

Thanks, man. I'd like to share that sentiment, but I won't kid myself. Even if someone comes up with a cure for asthma, it will probably be for new cases, not old ones like mine. I suspect I will be visiting the hospital again in the future. At least the food has improved over the years...

Guest Vagabond

Damn, Storm, glad you made it. This place wouldn't be the same without you - a kindred literary spirit ;)

Krayt, could you please reauthorize me on your ICQ list when you get a chance? Thanks.

Originally posted by StormHammer:

<STRONG>

Because of the tree, or because of the Pepsi? </STRONG>

nah...... the TV.....

he was probably wathing survivor.... poisoned his mind...

or those 3 idiots on the couch from fox news....

Good to hear you're alright hammer.... I know the trials and tribulations of asthma.... its not a fun experience. While I havent experienced derious attacks like you have, I can imagine what it is like.

Get-well-and-stay-well-ness wishes..

[ October 19, 2001: Message edited by: GonkH8er ]

Guest Krayt Tion

Vagabond- will do, except don't expect to get it any time soon, I probably won't be on icq for another two months. I shouldn't really posting on the forums so much at this time. :\

Originally posted by StormHammer:

<STRONG>Things like this certainly bring your life back into sharp focus, and make you realise just how precious life is.

</STRONG>

If your doctor tells you, that is, mine just said, "oh, you know you nearly died two years ago..." so I said, "well, cheers, thanks for telling me..."

:rolleyes:

ed, I agree that they often don't tell you enough about what's wrong with you, or the consequences of taking certain treatments.

Attitudes are mostly changing though. I remember when my eldest son was born, over 4 years ago, they warned me that both my wife and son might not make it, due to complications of pre-eclampsia. It was pretty serious, and they laid it on the line - prepared me for the worst. Luckily everything turned out fine.

It looks like we've both come close to the long sleep, but at least we're still here, so I guess we'd better make the most of the lives we have while we can.

Originally posted by Vagabond:

Damn, Storm, glad you made it. This place wouldn't be the same without you - a kindred literary spirit

Thanks, Vag. We'll have to collaborate on something some time. ;)

Gonk...LOL :D

Sorry to hear you also suffer from asthma. :( Take very good care of yourself, Gonk, and make sure everyone around you knows how - and when - to help you. I misjudged it this time - but my wife didn't.

You're a young guy, and you might grow out of it - some people do. I sure hope so...but if you don't, don't underestimate it, and do your damnedest to keep it under control. Ten years ago (when I was 24), I thought I had it licked. I was fit, and able to walk 20 miles without getting breathless. Hell, when we moved house, I shifted most of the furniture on my own - up and down stairs - without much problem. Now I've reached the point where it's hard for me to walk a mile without really feeling it. It sux, and I can only hope that things will improve again.

No, scratch that, I'm going to make sure they improve again. :)

Archived