Home

IBM Announces "Pixie Dust" Hard Drives - amazing

CaptainRAVE

IBM has announced a new line of hard drives which will use the antiferromagnetically coupled (AFC) media technology, whimsically known as "pixie dust."

Pixie dust allows more data to be stored per square inch on a hard drive, meaning that by 2003, IBM should be producing hard drives with a 400GB capacity.

The first drives using the new technology will be available this month. Both laptop and desktop drives will be available, including a 120GB desktop which will retail for $349.

I wouldn't want to defrag a HDD that size. :eek:

Also, am I not right in saying the bigger the partition, the less efficient the data storage?

Hmmm...looks like there would have to be trade-offs for massive capacity.

Lastly...you'd need a second drive the same size to back your stuff up...or fill up a hundred DVD-RAMs... :eek:

I thought it was bad enough when my zip disk got corrupted... ;)

Really, I think that We should make more partitions if we don't want to waste 1MB for a 1 byte file :(

Was worries me too, is that I *already* almost run out of partitions available... I *HATE* THE 1 LETTER SYSTEM!!! It's STUPID!

Back in the Amiga days you can have any number of partition/disks available, each one with it's own name, and if you wanted to change an application from a disk to another you just "assigned" the name from one to the other...

I think that a change is due, but I don't know how are they (micro$hit) are going to do it.

Do you realize that we are using a system that 20 years ago was designed to never grow?

Well I suppose if you never burned anything to disc and installed EVERY piece of software you owned, and downloaded lots of videos and stuff, then eventually you could fill it I guess.

But 150 GB would seem to be the upper limit, even for me. Having a 40 gig forces me to burn stuff occasionally. ; )

I wouldn't trust the stability of IBM drives with that much data in one place anyway (*shudder.. bad experiences*)

Kurgan

originally said by obi wan

I have a bad feeling about this

and 3 episodes later

I have just heard about a million voice scream at 1 time

and yet to be said by obi wan -

probably because their whole drive went through the roof due to such a ridiculous amount of disk space

[ November 09, 2001: Message edited by: Agen_Terminator ]

Originally posted by CaptainRAVE:

I'll definatly be getting one of those hard drives :)....you could never fill a 400Gb HDD, it was last for ages :)

ROFL :D

I don't know if you're joking or serious, Rave...

...but 12 years ago a 286 PC with a 20Mb HDD arrived on my workdesk, and everyone in the office said...

'We'll never fill it! That hard disk is enormous!' And we were right...for about a year.

Now, like Kurgan, I have to back up a lot of stuff to free space on my 40Gb drive. At work I've got a 40Gb and a 20Gb...and they're filling up fast.

Believe me...you'll fill it...or the software/game developers will fill it for you.

Just look at the OS. I remember when DOS fit on a 360k 5.25 inch floppy disk.

Now a full install of Win2K etc takes up 1 Gb. :eek:

Can you imagine what MicroSoft would do with a drive that size? Steal 10 per cent for the recycle bin for a start...that's 40 Gb gone by default. And when you install Windows UltraBloatware (the next incarnation), you can probably say goodbye to another 10 per cent because of all the pretty graphics. :D

We'll never have enough disk space.

:p

Yeah, it's not that I download tons and tons of stuff, the 'problem' is that the new games and apps, etc just take up more space.

So it's not that people are getting greedier (I have DSL and I have no trouble keeping my 40 gig with open space). I just burn or delete what I don't use/want.

Like I said, yeah it would be great to have a bigger and bigger drive, but the bigger it is, the longer it takes to sort through stuff, format, the greater the danger that I'll lose a lot of stuff if it crashes, and it just encourages me to be lazier about managing my data.

Kurgan

[ November 10, 2001: Message edited by: Kurgan ]

Archived