Home

Windows XP: Only One Day Old, And Already Patches and Bug Fixes Galore

CaptainRAVE

It's better, but it still doesn't hold a candle to any open source OS.

After leaving XP on for a day, noticable slowdown. After leaving Mandrake 8.1 on for 2 days, as fast as if I just booted it.

Note: I don't leave it on for longer because I play games on XP, and yet I can't live without linux. :)

Chinese crackers disable Windows XP's anti-piracy system..........

Crackers have developed illegal installation files that bypass the registration process for Microsoft's new operating system. Cracked copies of Windows XP, with the protection mechanism stripped out, can be downloaded from Warez sites abroad.

That's true.. I've read about the cracked versions too. And much as I might disagree with microsoft and not have that high an opinion of their marketing empire.. let me restate that this site does NOT condone software piracy or illegal activities.

Thank you.

I do think that it would be kind of sad that people would rather break the law than follow microsoft's new policies. Maybe this should give them a hint that they are not that popular (and wasn't the whole point to combat piracy to begin with)?

Then again, if people are so hot to use their products, maybe they should consider that a form of flattery (albeit still illegal)?

Kurgan

Well, my friend *cough* got XP and I took a look at it. I was mocking him the whole way to his house for putting in on his PC.

In a way I am right... having Win2k, there is absolutely no reason to spend $100 on pretty colors. But I would definitely consider if I had 98 still.

Anyway, I played around with it for about an hour. I'll say flat out, the UI theme they put into it sucks. They have some new, shiny colors that literally hurt my eyes. The start menu was all screwed up with two columns to begin with... it was just way too cluttered for my liking.

So with his permission, I just switched to the "Classic" Windows look. So much for the new, fancy UI.

But the OS itself surprised me. He hadn't updated anything yet, and there were 7 or 8 things he already needed. The new Windows Update thing is really great... really, really slick. On my Win2k box, the damn thing crashes half the time I try to update it. But this was pretty damn cool.

Of course, it has IE 6 on it. I surfed the net, and of course, IE got locked up eventually. However, to my surprise, when I hit ctrl-alt-delete to get the hell out of the program and closed it, it didn't lock up the computer. Whoa.

As for gaming, it was Win2k. He says he gets the same frame rates in CS and it works fine.

That's really all I can remember. If you have some more questions, I'll try to answer them.

Canoli's bottom line: If you have 98 or lower, go ahead and upgrade. But if you are on Win2k, I really don't see any reason for it. Windows XP hasn't really proven itself (although I think it eventually will), so it is probably best to wait. There really isn't anything groundbreaking on it from what I could see. Go buy Civ III instead. =)

Just my 2 Republic Credits.

its a lot more stable than 2000 in my opinion...lets face it xp might be another marketing ploy it get more money but as an OS its still pretty good plus it has sorted out that annoying support issue that 2000 had...and someone mentioned open source...how many people actually know how to code in hardware on open source? and how many hardware companies even give drivers for open source?...not to mention games...so you see the problem...open source is great for coding and if actually know what you are doin but most people dont...so therefore windows xp is the best out of the pack...even if it does have that annoying interface...

Archived