Home

Windows XP: Only One Day Old, And Already Patches and Bug Fixes Galore

CaptainRAVE

Microsoft's new operating system Windows XP has only been available to the public for one day, but already 20 MB of updates are available for download.

Many of these downloads offer security patches or fixes for various bugs. A few are entirely new features.

Although frequent updates may be a good way for people with quick internet connections to keep XP current, users with dial-up modem lines may struggle with long download times. Also, the auto-update feature could quickly become annoying.

I have one word for this.......typical :)

There is a 1.9MB Critical Update...That's rhe important one... All the other is just stuff like USP error fixes...Windows Movie Maker, and MSN Messenger updates...

stuff you don't really need...

(BTW-There is a WPM Driver D'load for Sound Blaster Live cards, if you have one...) ;)

:D

Are any of us really surprised? :rolleyes:

One thing is for sure...even if I had to upgrade to Win XP in the future...I'm not going to do it until most of the bugs have been ironed out by the biggest beta-testing machine out there...the end consumer.

Shame on you Microsoft, for releasing yet another bug-ridden piece of bloatware. :p

Have any of you even run XP???

I've had it running for 40 days/nights, with multiple processes running, and have had not one glitch, hiccup, or crash...

XP is a gamers dream...I've found many games that work on XP, many more that work well on XP, and only a few older DOS games that wouldn't run at all...

I suggest you all try it before you bash it...It's the best OS Bill and Co. have come out with yet...

:D

Look, say there's a million lines of code in an operating system (in fact, there's quite a lot more). Say that the programming is 99% accurate, ie. there's only 1% of the lines of code which have errors in them. That's still 10,000 bugs.

That puts in perpective for you how difficult it is to create a bug-free operating system, before you all rush to criticise.

Win XP Cracked Hours After Release......A lot of the advertising campaign and the controversy, real or manufactured, over Windows XP focused on the OS's anti-theft features.

It has become painfully obvious however, that illegal installation files that bypass registration for WinXP were available within hours of it being for sale.

While everyone assumed that some method would be devised in order to avoid the registration process, no one could have imagined the speed with which these "bypass" files found their way onto the internet, through Far Eastern sites at first, and then on to Warez sites.

Yesterday Malaysian Street Markets offered the latest Windows OS for a mere 1.3 USD. An interesting photograph that proves the speed of the black market in the Far East can be seen in the TaiPei Times. (You can find the link in the download section).

Another interesting feature of the activation files is that they were compiled using publicly available monitoring tools. The simplicity and basic nature of the files, strongly suggest that someone in Redmond greatly underestimated the intelligence of the Cracker community.

Guest Krayt Tion

Well, from the look of things, XP will be my next main Gaming OS... eventually. SP1 is fast approaching, but it won't be till at least after they release SP2 for XP that I will attempt to seriously use the OS. I won't be one of the paying Beta Testers dank ya. ;)

If I have the money (ha) I might pick up XP Pro and give it a partition, but only to mess with it.

I can tell you right now I won't be using XP to play JO. My computer isn't top of the line any more and it doesn't make sense drain more resources and bring in more bloat. There are undeniable advantages of using XP when compared to 98SE, but I will only need fast framerates and stable performance right now- which a well-maintained 98SE does good enough.

I'm looking forward to tweaking the hell outta XP and gaming on it with new hardware but that won't be for some time still.

Originally posted by BluRR:

Why do all of you guys bash MS? What did they ever do to you? Pretty much all of their products that I've used have been satisfactory at the least...

why do we bash it? becasue its ****! it sucks. they are always crashing. my kernel decides to go on holiday when ever it wants. microsoft sucks!!

Archived