Home

Are Games Turning Kids Into Jocks?

TornSoul

I read this interresting news item on Slashdot.

Maybe it's time to think about becoming an expatriate. Those who still harbor illusions about the accuracy of what pols and the popular media tell us about "geeks," gaming and cyber-culture ought to read one of the most interesting series of studies yet on computer games and the young, published this weekend in the Times of London. The government-funded study by the British Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC), finds that computer games are giving a "young Britons a level of co-ordination and powers of concentration equivalent to those observed in top-level athletes." Beyond that, gamers are smarter, more likely to go to college, have more friends, read more, and get better-paying jobs than non-gamers.

"See mom! I told you gaming isn't bad!" :D

If only Senator Lieberman would pay attention to these studies, rather than fretting about dim-witted game rating systems (which many people ignore anyway).

Actually it would be pretty fun to play Q3 with Sen. Lieberman. I doubt he would 'get it.'

joe01.jpg

Joe Lieberman and his Plasma Rifle

joe02.jpg

Sen. Lieberman shows off his 'l33t fragging skillz'

Thanks Political Arena.

Guest Krayt Tion

Are games turning kids into jocks? naw.

Just gives some kids that got singled out by the jocks to turn around and be *******s to me and everyone else online when they get some kills. Good thing I don't suck at games, so I don't have to take their bull****.

Generalizing and Negative Stereotyping is fun, everyone try it!

Yes, the beauty of a highly editable game engine, Quake3. Imagine the quality user-made skins and models we can look forward to with Jedi Outcast. :rolleyes:

Imagine a Katherine Harris (the Florida Secretary of State) gettin' jiggy wid' a concussion rifle...

khsmall.jpg

[ July 26, 2001: Message edited by: Wilhuf ]

Archived