Home

If u can answer this puzzle, you are the smartest person in the world!!!!!!!

TieDefender75

ok here it goes.

at the top of a paper you put three houses.

at the bottom you put three triangles.

each triangle has to get to each house.

reach the house by writing lines to the house.

lines cannot pass each other.

you cannot continue from a square.

once you connect one line you must go back to the triangele and create another line going to another house.

i have tried this puzzle for a year!....yes a year(your seeing right)and have not found the answer.

post here if u have questions on the rules or if u have the answer, and plese post a picture of the paper.

"each triangle has to get to each house."

Meaning every triangle has to go to every house, kinda vaguely like this-

[] [] []
  \ ! /
   \!/
   /!\
  / ! \
 A  A  A

or, like this-

[] [] []
!  !  !
!  !  !
A  A  A

(the 'A's are triangles)

???????????????????

I know the above do not stick to the rules, but i need to clarify this point :)

I might just have the answer........but don't get your hopes up ;)

Well...I might have it.

Can lines pass through triangles?

If so, this is the answer:

++++ []

^^^ []

++++ []

I cant create lines in this picture. the middle square can be reached by starting out on different places on the triangles and then through the other triangles towards the middle square.

The position of triangles and squares can be reached....by folding the paper.

Do I have it right?

+= paper

I know this puzzle... i solved it... but it is not funny.... the answer is: THERE IS NO WAY IT IS POSSIBLE....

ill explain this: the lines represent :

1. Water

2. Electric

3. Gas

now the three lines must go to all the 3 houses... the problem is: in what way you will put the line.... they will never go without crossing. you can connect them all but 1..... if you do it right you will have the electric left......

As you know electric can go OVER ground so that is the one that goes OVER the other ones.

So there is the answer. and believe me... it is the only one.

Originally posted by Wraith 9

I know this puzzle... i solved it... but it is not funny.... the answer is: THERE IS NO WAY IT IS POSSIBLE....

You are correct. I am dubious of anyone who claims to have solved it on paper. This is in my Discrete Mathematics Textbook and there will always be one triangle that cannot trace an unbroken path to one square. The last triangle can touch 2, but not all 3.

It CAN be solved in 3 dimensions, but not 2 dimensionally on paper.

My solution came up as impossible as well. If you get to "the point of no return" shown here

fig1.gif

then there is no way to complete the puzzle. If you try to connect the green triangle, as shown here

fig2.gif

the red triangle cannot connect. If you attempt to connect the red triangle, as shown here

fig3.gif

the green triangle cannot connect. If you eliminate all but the squares and triangles that don't connect, you essentially have this problem. Connect triangle 1 to square 1 and triangle 2 to square 2 staying INSIDE the green square, as shown below.

fig4.gif

It is impossible. I've wasted 1 1/2 hours on this, so next time, don't post brain teasers unless they're solvable please. ;)

Archived