Home

Loom?

JollyRoger

Originally posted by remio

LEC has never (to my knowledge) announced that copying any of their games are legal, so it looks like the Underdogs got that one wrong.

I completely concure. Clearly, this site is violating copyright law. I've been reading up on the legal issues of "Abandonware" and the truth is...it's a gray area. There are arguments for and against this type of distribution. Contrary to the claims that this site is legal, I think it's dubious.

Personally, I think you should get a nice box-set of Lucas Adventure games that includes LOOM... they are cheap enough.

Originally posted by raVen_image

The moderators at escapemi have a link for a free LOOM download:

I removed the link here too, seeing that it was removed from the post it was quoted from. :) - Remi

I am not convincinced of its legality, myself ...but, there it is.

I think if there's any doubt about the legality, we ought to get rid of that link. Anyone in agreement? I might be coming off a bit paranoid, but LEC legal are a pretty observant bunch, and I'm afraid LF.com might get some backlash if that link stays up there too long. I don't want to have the future of these forums jeopardized by something this trivial, and I don't think that a moderator should have posted that link at all.

I'm not sure exactly who did it; I don't think that's really important, because it is a simple mistake with a simple solution. I'm also not mad at whoever is responsible, but I think that all the moderators need to know the seriousness of something as seemingly simple (hmmm, alliteration) as a pirated game . I doubt anyone wants to take chances with LEC legal, as seen from their latest actions taken to defend the company's intellectual property.

i kinda feel like i should appologize for asking were i could get the game, but i just want to say i didnt really mean where i could get it for free on the net.

(but by saying this i dont mean to blame raven for anything)

I was thinking about getting one of the gift set thingys from lucasarts, and i dont know why i didnt. but i think i will get one now.

But if you are in Hungary, and you are 13 3/4 years old, and you get around 300 forints as pocket money (1 dollar), you can't afford computer games, that are around 12000 HUF (40 american dollars).

Monkey Islandis an except for me, and in Hungary the rates of Legal / Illegal copies are around 1/9.

Try getting a real job. You're 13, get a child labor job or something. I mean, if you can afford a computer, getting something in TWENTY NOT FORTY American Dollars isn't THAT bad...

Note: I'm not sure if the disk-version of Loom will work on newer computers. Mine is from the end of '99, and I'm afraid that I will buy Loom, and the sound won't work. I'm going to be honest... I tried the 'abandonware' one (none of those games are abandonware btw) and everything worked but no sound. Has anyone tried it with the Disk version and has it worked, the sound that is? Especially if you have a newer computer. That would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, the sound works. And even if it doesn't, you can play it through your internal speaker.

I recommend buying Loom from ebay in its original box. Its more expensive, but it really is worth it. You get an audio drama explaining the story, and a book of spells. (well, you get that in the re-release, the spell book I mean, but its a crap copy.) I have the classic adventures version though, cos my boxed Loom is on 5.25 disks.

Originally posted by Schmatz

Is it right next to George Dubya Bush, Al Gore, Bob Dole, or yet another squirrel?

Well, the actual species has remained anonymous but i'd guess it was some sort of marsupial cos it has a cute nose

...which i keep on my desk as a paper weight

Archived