Home

A Good Motherboard?

LilDrumLad

Does anybody have any good recommendations for a good motherboard? I'm talking specific model. I want to get an ASUS, and I'll be going with an AMD chip (not sure which one yet, probly the Athlon 1.4gHz). If anybody has used one that they can recommend I'd really appreciate it!

I also highly recommend the EPoX 8KHA+. What you need to do first is figure out what you want out of your computer. You're probably aiming for games, correct? Next, figure out how much you have to spend. That'll basically choose your board for your right there. Finally, just remember: the better mobo you get now, the more you'll be able to upgrade in the future.

Good choice with AMD; I honestly don't know why anyone would even consider Intel these days.

I can personally vouch for the Epox 8KHA+. I bought it after my Asus motherboard screwed up for the last time. I was fed up with that thing (A7A266, if you were wondering--avoid this board at all costs!). Anyway, you can't go wrong with the Epox, plus it's only $100 or so.

But if you really want to go with Asus (I probably won't ever buy from them again unless there's a really good reason to do so), I'd say the A7V266. Probably a good board.

Eh, while those boards are nice, so far out of the KT266A boards I've worked with, the SOYO K7VA Dragon Plus.

It's greatest asset is stability and feature set.

That and it's snazzy design.

I've tended to steer clear of SOYO designs in the past, but the solidity of their Dragon series has given me second thoughts.

Canoli,

From what I understand, the A7A266 was a huge blooper. Mine worked off and on for a long time...more frequently off. It gave me some troubleshooting skills, up until the point where I just couldn't fix it :(

Now I've got an MSI K7T Turbo.

Works very well.

Archived