Home

Additive blend with lightsabres

Flirbnic

Actually, this is probably what caused the downfall of the Jedi! Any time there was a fight outside, the Jedi couldn't tell each other's saber colors and ended up killing each other. That's why there are only 2 sith- so they can recognize each other by sight and just kill anyone else who has a saber. So their grand plan to eliminate all the jedi must have been to lure them outside and start a huge brawl, causing all these poor jedi with washed-out saber colors to die horribly.

Thank god that by Kyle's time the saber color can be seen against bright backgrounds!

Sensible response i must say. So they have stencil shadows which makes everything go on top of each other. why does it do this???????

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, what this person has not told you...is that additive blend modes also tend to get really washed out and white looking in various situations. The lighter the background, the less likely you'll see any blue glow. In fact, with additive, if you viewed the saber over a completely white background...you'd see _absolutely_ nothing. That may be technically correct, but will people start crying about that situation also?

Wdscrn257.jpg

If the incorrect blend mode was used in this image, it would look ugly. And how often will you find large areas of pure white, anyways?

The only thing I stated was that additive over white will be white, which is exactly what your picture post shows. As you'll note you can only sort of see two of the three sabers in the pic. This may be fine in a movie, but it might suck in a game. True, there may be no white areas in the game, but since we haven't played through every level and found every secret area, we can't know at this point if there are reasons why it _isn't_ being done this way in the game.

Also, every image you have shown us is an example of post-production effects. These kinds of things probably _can_ be done in games, but games do have to resort to real-time methods ( they don't have the luxury of having super fast computers with custom graphics algorithms crunching away frame by frame to make it all look pretty ) and some things have to be faked or closely approximated. All we have seen are screenshots ( stills ) which gives us ample opportunity to scrutinize and find flaws. Movies of the saber in action may reveal that it doesn't really look bad at all.

Finally, these could even be stale screenshots....meaning that it has already been addressed.

True, there may be no white areas in the game, but since we haven't played through every level and found every secret area, we can't know at this point if there are reasons why it _isn't_ being done this way in the game.

I fail to see any logic in making the lightsabre ugly so that it can be slightly more visible in just a few little areas in the game. And an incorrectly blended lightsabre shown in front of a solid white background only makes the ugliness stand out more.

Finally, these could even be stale screenshots....meaning that it has already been addressed.

As you'll note, there are exactly zero instances of screenshots with dates on them. It is entirely possible that we are harping on a non-issue.

Originally posted by Rancor

As you'll note, there are exactly zero instances of screenshots with dates on them. It is entirely possible that we are harping on a non-issue.

Great point. Wasn't Obi-Wan the one who said, "Your eyes can deceive you. Don't trust them" ?

It's actually funny how things aren't always what they seem :jawa

I agree with flirbnick. Well, the lightsabers are very good, but in some screenshots, you can really see the bad effect

Like these to:

http://www.lucasarts.com/products/outcast/images/screens/26.jpg

http://www.lucasarts.com/products/outcast/images/screens/27.jpg

Especially in the first one, you can see it clearly. The saber casts a glow on the floor, and the glow around the blade is darker than this glow. This isn't a big problem, but I can see what flirbnick means.

However, take a look at this screenshot:

http://www.lucasarts.com/products/outcast/images/screens/29.jpg

The glow around the blade looks much brighter here. The background is a little bit darker, but still, it could look like some changes have been made here.

I saw that too Darth Lunatic; I thought of this thread as well once i saw it! THat must be what ChangKhan was talking about with the stencil shadowing messing things up. Also, i have hard time seeing what is wrong with those screens skyrunner because to me the third one looks almost identical to the other two. All i can notice is that in the third one, the white ness seems to be brighter and a little bit larger; am i missing something? Ill re read Filirbnic's site and see if i can decipher this again...

He seems to do that often, those

:D ...

He leaves occasionally are so annoying, though I never comment.

Anyway I can't wait to see the lightsaber swinging through>a stormie, seeing the arm fly off with the glow of the saber against his white armour or invisbile against his white armour if u like

Archived