Home

The Art of Rap (Or why peopl don't like rap)

Rebel Loyaltist

I here to clear up some common misconceptions rap people seem to have at this forum. Anyway here it goes.

Now people seem to think rap as nothing but loud, crazy, vulgar and non understandable music. I would like to differ on this. Rap isn't as crazy as it seems. I would label crazy as punk rock and the metal music category. Such things as rave parties and mosh pits tend to be very wild and out of control with people being crushed by hundred of people and sometimes being killed. Rave parties or almost the same but with no police supervision and loads of people off on estacy. Also some the the punk artist do some crazy ass thing such as urinating in the crowd, puking in the crowd and a lot of other things. They also sing about some weird stuff too.

Next people seem to think the rap all vulgar. People also have this wrong. Have you have seen something you like with your friend (that is if you have friends ;)) and just had to comment on it? What you say? Would you say that was bad butt? Of course not, you'd "Man that was bad ass right there" People using swearing to get points across. Also people might say rappers say obscene thing for example: I shoved my d*** up that ho's p**** and got the orgy flowin, pretty soon she gonna be own her knees blowin" That get also gets one's point across. Because saying "Wow we had sex" is kinda drab. Also I would die if someone didn't swear or say anything obscene in their life.

People aslo complain about the fact of how you can't understand rap music. I can say the samething about rap and metal but I'll avoid this for the moment. When you were a kid did your friends every come up to you and say "betcha can't say that 5 times fast!" Then you'd end up messing up and being made fun of. Anyway rap is the same way. People say the can't understand it because it's different than the norm. People instantly say they can't understand it without actually listen to it for a sec. One a similar note people say that what actually being said doesn't make sense. Listen carefully and you'll pick up what they mean but what they say. A good site for lyric is http://www.ohhla.com. Check it out some time.

On a lesser note some people my say that rapping is a "black" thing. This is not so. While the majority might be black more and more people are taking instrest in rap such as Slim Shady (White) Fat Joe (Latino) and Vanilla Ice :lol:. Anyway rap isn't just a "black" thing

Hope I cleared up some misconceptions about rap. discuss on :)

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Rebel Loyaltist

People using swearing to get points across. Also people might say rappers say obscene thing for example: I shoved my d*** up that ho's p**** and got the orgy flowin, pretty soon she gonna be own her knees blowin" That get also gets one's point across. Because saying "Wow we had sex" is kinda drab. Also I would die if someone didn't swear or say anything obscene in their life.

Must everything be about sex and about how the rap artist and his sexual prowess and conquests?

There's a vast difference between music, and <i><b>music</i></b>.

Music, is notes and words put togeather in a fashion to lift spirits, move you around, cheer you up, ect. Happy go feely music. most of the 20'-30's big band was like this, mostly because of the impending and ensuing depression, but it's neat.

<i><b>Music</i></b> on the other hand is another beast all togeather. IT is profound. when you listen to it, you are moved in a way that is not like music, but emotionally taken on a trip. This type is more classical, true.

However, rap apparently falls into NIETHER of these catagories. WHY on EARTH listen to music about killing, stealing, death, dying, rape, sexual feats and fallicies, and race differences, and slurs?! I don't, but if YOU want to, that's your deal.

It's not that we don't understand it, well, a bit, it's not that it doesn't sound neat. some of it does. it's the message.

and it's not pretty.

Such things as rave parties and mosh pits tend to be very wild and out of control with people being crushed by hundred of people and sometimes being killed. Rave parties or almost the same but with no police supervision and loads of people off on estacy.

YOU HAVE A POINT I ASSUME? Are you arguing the advantages of a rave? Oddly, a rave and a type of music have little to do with each other. This is like saying COMMUNISM IS BETTER BECAUSE THE FOOD AT DENNY'S SUCKS.

They also sing about some weird stuff too.

*hugs Rammstein CD*

Next people seem to think the rap all vulgar.

And here I thought that "Jive grammar" was dead...

I shoved my d*** up that ho's p**** and got the orgy flowin, pretty soon she gonna be own her knees blowin

In in all the conversations I've ever had "I had sex" got the point across.

I can say the samething about rap and metal but I'll avoid this for the moment.

"Metal?" Are we in 1986? Call it Industrial please. And I understand that. AND sometimes I listen to it in GERMAN!

Vanilla Ice

I'd try to distance myself from Vanilla Ice under any circumstance.

I hate the fact that rap is protrayed as music. All it is in ryme and meter with a beat machine in the back-groud. it is a poor mans excuse for music. Talent is severly lacking in any form of rap.

Why do you think they changed the name of the style from Rap to Hip-hop. it is becaue Rap had such a bad reputation, so they tried chaging it to increase sales.

There is good rap, and there is bad rap, sadly a majority of rap is rude vulgar and offensive, and the only reason why any rap group is succeful is becaue of the amount of money they spend on equipment, and if they are ableto promote themselves enuf to make themselves poular.

I actaulyl enjoyedearly forms of rap, vanilla Ice, MC Hammer, and some of the early coolio songs.

but the stuff that is being sold today is absouluty horrid

I allways tell people that the "C" in rap is silent

Originally posted by K_Kinnison

Talent is severly lacking in any form of rap.

Try rhyming to a beat..its alot harder than it seems.

Why do you think they changed the name of the style from Rap to Hip-hop. it is becaue Rap had such a bad reputation, so they tried chaging it to increase sales.

Rap isn't Hip Hop...they are two totally different genres. (like Rock and alternative...they sound alike, but they are not)

...and the only reason why any rap group is succeful is becaue of the amount of money they spend on equipment, and if they are ableto promote themselves enuf to make themselves poular.

Thats how any artist is successful

It may be true that some rap is simply terrible and that some groups are popular by the equipment that hides their "talent" but I find it rather unfair to catergorize all rap as that. In my view, rap is just another form of poetry, just every other type of music. It's something that lets the artist express what he or she wants to say that he or she couldn't say by speaking.

All music is like that. Well, I shouldn't say all music, scince there are the bands that just go around playing a single riff so they can get chicks. Nevertheless, music is so popular because it gives a slighty more..."tangible" asspect to poetry.

Some rap artists that sing about vulgar stuff like sex and drugs may be expressing this part of poetry. Although I couldn't understand what exactly the artist is trying to say, but it's not for me. Poetry has always been for the person, not the people.

Originally posted by Cmdr. Cracken

There's a vast difference between music, and <i><b>music</i></b>.

WHY on EARTH listen to music about killing, stealing, death, dying, rape, sexual feats and fallicies, and race differences, and slurs?!

I totally agree with you. I hate that about rap. Thats why I mostly listen to christian and classical music (like the stuff I play in band or on my free time).

Archived