Home

STAR WARS Galactic Battlegrounds Clone Campaigns Update Thread

Garry_M_Gaber

Greetings!

Things have been pretty busy leading up to the release of this expansion pack, officially named "Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds: Clone Campaigns". We are aggressively working to finish this puppy in time for a release day and date with Star Wars Episode II: The Attack of the Clones". We hit Alpha two weeks ago, and are headed toward Beta currently. We've addressed a lot of things from the original game, as well as creating quite a few new goodies for you to play with.

Some of the major things we've done:

There are two new civilizations in the game, based on Star Wars Episode II entities. One of them has a unique ability to produce controllable predators in the Animal Nursery, which lends itself to some creative gameplay. The other has the Jedi starfighter as its unique unit. The two new civs have several unique upgrades of their own as well.

We've added two units to each of the 6 existing civs as well as the two expansion civs. The Air Cruiser is a sort of AT-AT of the sky, a very long range artillery-type weapon that can knock out Anti-Air Turrets without getting a scratch. It is of course vulnerable to Mobile Anti-Air and to turrets if it is unlucky enough to get in range, but the balancers are reporting that this is a cool new unit. Another new unit for all the civs is the Power Droid. This is a walking Power Core that looks like the "Gonk" droid from Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope. It's a fun unit.

In the Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds: Clone Campaigns, you'll also find a beefed up set up upgrades for the Power Cores and Shield Generators, making them more substantial buildings to create. A new building, available to all sides is the Sensor Buoy, a sort of Sensor Post of the water, that provides eyes and ears on your enemy.

We've added team bonuses to the game. So if you are playing the Galactic Empire and ally with the Gungans, for instance, both sides will benefit from a specific civilization bonus.

The team has gone back and tweaked a lot of the unit and technology costs from the original game, even going so far as to create a new unit for the Rebel Alliance (an aircraft), and to tweak the "Walker Research" upgrade on the Galactic Empire side to allow AT-AT's to be able to fire at ground AND air units, just like the scene in Star Wars: Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back. We've enhanced the Gungans as well with self-regenerating buildings, and the Naboo have a couple changes under the hood also.

We've gone back and readdressed a significant number of effects from the original game, especially in the realm of explosions. They look a lot more "3D" and dynamic now. We have also readdressed sound effects associated with those explosions so that they sound different depending on the type of hit.

And all of these enhancements are available to players who wish to go back and play the original game again.

The two single player campaigns use Star Wars: Episode II as a jumping off point, and follow two Generals through a series of missions. One of the missions has them encountering Jabba and his minions, and gave us a great excuse to build a lot of the Jabba units for the scenario editor. One of the Generals is a Chiss woman, Sev'Rance Tann, and she is mean and nasty, but a great tactician, sort of like another Chiss you all may know... And the other General is Echuu Shen-Jon, a Jedi from Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds. We get to see him before the action in the original game, which sort of lends itself to the whole prequel idea.

Another bit of information - we have expanded the scenario editor with extra units, a few of which revolve around an expanded universe property - "Shadows of the Empire". I'll let you all speculate about what we might have chosen to add.

In all, the Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds: Clone Campaign is shaping up to be a lot of fun, adding a lot of replayability to the original game, and expanding the game further. We're all hoping you will enjoy it. More news as it comes...

Thanks for the continued support,

Garry M. Gaber

Director

Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SHADOWS UNITS!!!!!!!!!!!! JEDI STARFIGHTER!!!!!!!!!!!! AT-AT's SHOOT AIRCRAFT!!!!!!! Sorry for screaming, but I'm all excited!

Thanks a lot Mr. Gaber!!!! BTW, in all the stuff you're doing to shields, please give them back their trailer look!

And please add an orange cloud terrain.

Thanks a lot again, I look forward to this game as you cannot imagine!

-Compa_Mighty

YAY SHADOWS UNITS!!!!!!!! WOOOHOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! And the AT-AT is going to be so cool too!!!! Man I can't wait!

What will the msrp of it be so I can start saving up?? :D

I wonder what those 2 new units for each civ will be!!! :D eheheheheheheheheheheheh I could see the empire getting a TIE Crawler....I've just started playing the scenarios even tho i've had the game since christmas...I had to practice in standard so now I don't get wiped out as easily. hehehe but I'm good at the Empire.

Yes, I do like for the ability for AT-ATs to shoot air units but is it really going to make that big of a difference in a RM game. Most games played usually are all of 20-30 mins of actual gaming and not many good players use FU(fully upgraded) AT-ATs or AT-ATs at all by that matter. Many games consist of the basic, trush, fighter air rush, pummel drop, etc....but now, who really uses AT-ATs when your really really going head to head? IMO its more of a DM inprovement to where as gamers might not have to make as many AA units for air support. (No offense to any LA staff). Its a real good idea but its likely not to be used in RM games.

_HaZe

Guest DarthMaulUK

I won't be happy though if the game is released the same day as the movie. I planned to spend the entire weekend in the Cinema watching it.. I can't let the x-pack sit at home doing nothing! LOL

damn!

Oh well, no sleep for me! :-(

DMUK

That's a great thing to know, but I was more hoping to see some cool scenario units, like clone empire, dark luke and some of the sith lords in the comic....

I'm quite concern about the graphic of darth vader, are you going to address that problem.

Guest Robert

GB is one of the best Games ever!

I Hope that to for the XP,only i hope you wil make the units of civ more difrend!

Thats all i want and keep up de balance to! :p

by the way is the rupublic not the empire only earlyer?

Archived