Home

freezing.

zombi3

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok... Just confirmed - played for like an hour without crashes - DX sound accel. at max, all in-game options (GL ext., high qual. sound, volumetric shadows, etc.) turned on!

Seriously, before changing my AGP settings I'd be lucky to hit "load" before the game crashed. Now... it's all good!! Woot! Looks like I might actually be able to finish the game now!

I used to have major AGP problems in the past in several games, and found disabling Side Band Addressing (SBA) and Fast Writes (FW) with NVMax or similar Nvidia or Radeon tweaking utility, and things worked great. SBA and FW don't affect performance much anyway. You may look into it, especially disabling SBA. If you own a Geforce card it's recommended to disable it anyway for stability reasons. Check the Geforce FAQ (http://www.geforcefaq.com/faq.cgi) for more info.

Like Zytos I was using the AdAware Program.

So I did what he suggested and completly removed AdAware, deinstalled JK2 and removed all remaing 'Jedi' registry entries.

Reinstalled the game and raised the resolution from 640x480 (texture details medium, all others set to minimium due to my System) to 800 x 600 (now all details off)

And.... the frezzes are gone

I'am not sure if AdAware caused the Problem but as long as I can play JK2 I'll definitly not try to find that out ;)

BTW: My System is similar to the one Mikroba posted earlier -

Toshiba Satellite Pro 4200

PIII 500

192 MB Ram

Savage IX 8MB

Win XP

and like his machine, mine can handle the game even in 800x600 (at least, the indoor levels *lol*)

Originally posted by gravioli

I used to have major AGP problems in the past in several games, and found disabling Side Band Addressing (SBA) and Fast Writes (FW) with NVMax or similar Nvidia or Radeon tweaking utility, and things worked great. SBA and FW don't affect performance much anyway. You may look into it, especially disabling SBA. If you own a Geforce card it's recommended to disable it anyway for stability reasons. Check the Geforce FAQ (http://www.geforcefaq.com/faq.cgi) for more info.

I still have FW and SBA on and they're not causing any problems for me. Just had another hour long game without any crashes whatsoever. But now I'm stuck at Nar Shaada, *lol*.

Windows XP Pro, P4 2.0A, ABIT TH7-RAID II, 512MB RDRAM, Soundblaster Audigy, Visiontek Geforce4 Ti4600.

The drivers are the latest from the appropriate vendors sites.

Installed the Audigy soundcard as I thought it might have been the on-board sound that was causing the problem.

Can sometimes play for about 45 mins, but it always crashes at some point with the freeze / looping sound.

Will try the AGP x 1 BIOS setting (tried 2 x last night).

Has there been any official comment at all from Lucasarts?

Simon.

Well...It seems like reducing the AGP transfer rate solved most of the problems out there regardless of the motherboard type. Out of curiosity, who are still having problems after lowering the AGP transfer speed? If not many, than this was definately the major problem that RAVEN has to fix or the mobo manufactures have to fix. Anyway, glad to see people playing. This means more meat on the servers :D

If the problem for many people is that AGP 4X causes freezes, then I doubt that Raven will be able to do anything about it. It would be more related to VIA's implementation of the AGP Bus. The word is that Intel has by far the best implementation of the AGP bus (they created it) and that other chipmaker's implementations just aren't as good. And if any problems are going to appear, they're going to happen when running at AGP 4X!!

I can't say that Nvidia is totally blame-free on the AGP 4x issue, but I think it's more likely to be the chipset's fault.

Seems that JK2 and maybe RTCW too, are stressing our systems more than any game has done before. I wonder if anyone out there with Intel-chipset boards is having any problems with AGP speed - I think it would be much less likely.

Glad to hear that some of you have got the game playable now! I just started sabering the first few Dark Jedis in SP and there's nothing like beating a Dark Jedi on Master Level! :fett:

I too have had problems with freezing, sometimes I'll not be able to move at all, sometimes I'll have kyle running in one direction constantly with no way to control him...

I'll try some of the things suggested here before I finally go insane and throw my computer down the stairs. Thanks all :p

Heat seems to be one of the problems with JKII

Lowering your AGP down to x2(or even x1) seems to help justify that it is a heat problem.

Somehow JKII seems to tax Video cards really hard, which causes them to overheat.

I actually solved the problem without reducing my AGP to x2. Several compainies make fans that are designed to be plugged into PCI slots. I bought one and plugged it in directly next to my Video Card. Now I have no freezing.(note I also had a device IRQ conflict that needed to be fixed, but when that was fixed I went from freezing every 5-10 minutes, to freezing after 1-2 hours. After I got the extra fan. Everything seems to run great.

I am having single player lockups as well.

Intel PIII 933

512MB SDRAM

WinXP Pro

VisionTek GeForce 3 (23.11 Detonator)

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Gamer

My sound doesn't loop though. I get a screech for 1 1/2 seconds and then nothing - complete silence.

The wierd thing is that I was only seeing these crashes once every couple days when I first started playing. Now I'm on the Doomgiver, and I can play about 1 minute before I get a hard lock and am forced to reboot. So by the end of the game I figure it'll crash right after I load a game.

My crashes seem to be related to sound. A crash usually follows right after the opening of a door, or a big firefight - places where sounds occur.

I've tried many suggestions. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the 23.11 Detonator XP drivers. I uninstalled and reinstalled the game. I've set my desktop color depth to 16-bit. I've played around with different com_hunkmegs settings (currently set to 192). I checked to make sure I was running current Audigy drivers (I was). None of this seems to have any bearing on the crashes.

I'll try that VIA 4 in 1 thing that someone mentioned, but it doesn't seem to me to be related to the graphics card or AGP slot at all. It seems like the game has bugs in the way it handles sounds or something.

scottws, got any extra sound cards lying around to temporarily swap with the Audigy? Or even onboard sound? Not the easiest thing but if you're confident about it being sound related, it might at least narrow down your troubleshooting.

Nilus1, you're right that heat should always be the first suspect with lockups, either a overly warm cpu or gpu. But having used VIA for the last 5 years, I have heard alot about VIA's suspect AGP implementation. And how they've continually tried to address this through their 4-in-1 drivers.

So, by all means, determine if your cpu or video card is getting too warm. It might help to get a small house fan blowing right into your open case to see if heat is truly your culprit. But, seeing that lowering the AGP speed is helping people, I immediately think, "oh it's VIA up to their old magic, again!".

Originally posted by MadAtGod

Oh, ToiletDuck...this should fix your save loop/crash problem you are stuck in. Bring down the console, you can do it from the options screen even I think. Type in devmapall. After that type in map then a space then the name of the map you are on, or the next map if you want, that way you can restart the level or skip it.

Then you can go have fun and crash at one of the many other scenic locales 5 minutes later! Joy! Here is a list of all the maps:

LOL

At least we can try to be as light hearted as possible about this problem.

Originally posted by MadAtGod

Plus it's Star Wars, big George wouldn't let anything taint his universe. He takes his baby seriously, he just hired another homeless guy to help his kids finish the script for Episode 3, and I heard the crayon on Vanilla Ice's contract is already dry! Wooot!

History would state otherwise. There have been many crappy Star Wars games. George isn't as concerned with the quality as he is with the dollars.

Originally posted by Chiles4

scottws, got any extra sound cards lying around to temporarily swap with the Audigy? Or even onboard sound? Not the easiest thing but if you're confident about it being sound related, it might at least narrow down your troubleshooting.

I do have onboard sound also. I might try that. I shouldn't have to rip apart my computer just to play one game though.

I envy all of those who were able to just turn down their AGP transfer rate from 4x to 2x. I tried lowering mine from 4x, then to 2x, and even down to 1x and it did not help at all. My computer tends to crash when I watch the movies. I've managed to play the game quite a bit but I have no idea what the story line is like. I even went so far to re-install my VIA 4-in-1 Drivers and getting RivaTuner to try to tweak my card (unfortunatly, everything is grayed out). Hopefully the problem will be solved for everyone soon.

Hmmm. Well after reading the entire thread now, I'm still at a loss.

I've tried almost every solution (except nvmax - my AGP bus is already set at 2x). I'm guessing that it indeed is an overheating problem for me. That would explain why the crashes seemed more frequent the more I tried to play the game. I'd get a PCI fan, but all my PCI slots are full. I'll just have to play the game in short bursts until I get my new mobo, processor, and [non-HP] system case (with lots of fans).

It seems that Raven won't be able to come up with anything considering the vast differences in solutions, though it does seem odd that this problem only started occurring in JKII for most people, including myself. If it is indeed an overheating problem, I wonder why I never experienced anything like this in MOH:AA or RtCW. I used to play RtCW for four hours straight all the time, sometimes more than once a day and NEVER had a single lockup.

Who knows. I guess I hope Raven can fix it.

I just got done playing without my case on to see if it was just overheating. Whoa is me when I found out that wasn't the case. All that accomplished was to really screw up my computer after the hard reboot (did not detect my HD :freakout: ) Luckily everything was ok. I did manage to corrupt my saved games but that's no big deal (just means I get to play some more, hopefully without the loops/crash) The thing that gets me is the game is still running when my sound loop starts and then when I go to quit/save the game freezes and I have to reboot. If the sound goes out during a movie, everything just freezes instantly and so I have to cold reboot. I even tried to underclock my videocard using RivaTuner but to no avail (by the way...anyone know the factory clock speeds of the GeForce 2 GTS/Pro64 MB DDR?). I guess that's all I really have to say for now. Hopefully we get some answers soon.

:duel:

Represents our fight against the sound loops & freezes :)

Add me to the list of sudden freezes.

Athlon 1.3

256 RAM

Win 2k

Geforce2 MX 400 64mb

SB Live!

Expensive CPU fan

Expensive case heat-extractor below the GF2

I've tried all sorts of configs, but nothing worked. I keep on crashing after a few minutes of gameplay. I didn't freeze in the first levels, I started to freeze in the Yavin Temple, and now i can't play for more than 5 mins without crashing.

I guess it's just a bug of the game that makes certain setups crash, i doubt whether it's an overheating problem, cause my CPU temperature is 40 when i play the game, which means the temperature is OK.

Also, it happens only in the SP game, i can play MP for hours and never froze.

CONCLUSION: don't mess with the configurations, it's just a bloody bug that needs a patch to fix it. So, be patient, and let's hope the patch comes out very soon, cause I (and i'm sure many of you) are really ****ed up with this problem. :( :( :( :( :(

I feel for ya! I was having freezes about every 5 minutes (but I don't think it was until after Yavin, like someone else mentioned) - and now I'm freeze free.

I don't think it's a heat problem. At least, it wasn't for me. I was having freezing problems with my Gf3 running at normal settings. I haven't changed my AGP transfer rate. As I mentioned earlier, I grabbed new XP drivers from Creative. I've had no freezes since, But instead of being a good technician and doing one change at a time, I was getting frustrated and did a number of things. So I can't be 100% the new drivers fixed it. I now run the game fine, and have overclocked my GF3 and still no freezes. So I don't think I can blame it heat. I haven't added any fans or other cooling devices.

You could also try uninstalling JK2, defrag your HD, and do a fresh install (you could copy in your savegames after). That's what I did along with the new Creative drivers.

Originally posted by Simon B

Windows XP Pro, P4 2.0A, ABIT TH7-RAID II, 512MB RDRAM, Soundblaster Audigy, Visiontek Geforce4 Ti4600.

The drivers are the latest from the appropriate vendors sites.

Installed the Audigy soundcard as I thought it might have been the on-board sound that was causing the problem.

Can sometimes play for about 45 mins, but it always crashes at some point with the freeze / looping sound.

Will try the AGP x 1 BIOS setting (tried 2 x last night).

Has there been any official comment at all from Lucasarts?

Simon.

2 x AGP is as low as my BIOS will go, and that hasn't fixed it.

Also tried installing under Win98SE, and the problem still occurs.

Upon further experimentation I've found that it was *not* the AGP setting that made my system more stable.. Rather, it was slowing down my OC'd CPU that made the difference. Actually, with my old-ass Asus K7M, I'm not even sure whether I can even run in anything higher than 1x AGP :p

I take that back, the JK2 engine is what's screwed up! The froze so many times for me this morning, single and multiplayer. Raven, where are you!?!?!!!! Don't tell me you've moved on to SOF2 and are gonna dump JK2 the same exact way you dumped Hexen2world!!!!!!!!! :mad: I guess Raven still has their ****ty QA team they used for Heretic II.

Archived