Home

Patch Thread

Vagabond

Im kinda upset... everyone's been askin to balance out force powers. I understand that the Dark Forces have some advantages but so does the light. I know for a fact that no amount of lighting will take out a Jedi with level 3 heal. Enough about that tho.

Enhancement:

- Tweek the Heavy Stance attacks

(Too many people have gotten lucky with that, just by lunging into a crowd)

- Make Drain, Lightning, and Grip shorter/more force consuming.

- Client Side skins would be cool.

- Dismemberment would be cool, but Im thinking model dmg (ex. limp arm, or holding stomach) would be interesting.

I guess that would be it... I just dont want to go into a free for all fray and get killed luckily by some heavy wielding guy with pms.

Overall thought: Great job on the game... hadn't slept since the release.

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Enhancemnt:

make it so that the heavy hit range thing doesn't extend beyond the saber

make it easier to block

add more blocking animations i.e. swinging at what is being thrown at you instead of moving the saber.

Bug: Whenever I get close to a force field, my player's animation always goes really choppy, as if my framerate were suffering. I know my framerate is fine because everything else in the level is running just as fluidly as before.

Enhancement: Is it possible to show how many deaths someone has in the MP score tab? That would be nice.

I have tried a Sidewinder 3D pro and a Sidewinder ForceFeedback 2, and in both cases, everything works great except when using the POV hat to look up/look down. The motion is jerky and I can't target anything precisely.

I'm running Windows XP

Celeron 1.1 GHZ

384 MB Ram

Thanks Raven for the new patch... Saber battles are SO much better in MP...

BUG:

unfortunately... when using EAX on my sound blaster Live Value, it locks up after playing for only a few minutes.

everything else is cool tho:atat:

The patch was mindblowing when I went into a no force duel server. Awsome how you guys added the new swings and tweeks to the attacks... ok. Now here's where things get really messed up.

*Enhancement/Fix*

- Now that kick has become alot more harder to perform, there is still a flaw in doing just that. The backside special is now the replacement of the "pull-kick" tactic. Now, instead of just taking 20dmg for a kick. Im getting "pull-backside special," and thats worse than the DFA. Since all you have to do is rush, pull, turn and swing. Instead of a 10 second duel... its now 3-5 seconds.

- Now that drain is shorter... um... how about doing something about the absorb duration? I've been trying to find out what good has come of that and ... well... I don't see any.

- Our spin moves are gone! Where did it go?! Its not really a necessity but alot of the players would like that back.

- People have already perfected the DFA... and its still so DFA. One hit kill is still in effect. So upon "pull-backside special", the kill mongers have got a new toy to play with.

Im done crying... Im sure there will be more posts than mine so IM not going to take up any more post space.

-Fade Out

I can't speak for the sabers part of the patch as I don't use sabers....

I can speak however for guns... They have absolutely been ruined by this patch.... To begin with there is not enough ammo on the levels... If anything you should have made each shot take less ammo ... instead now Each shot uses more ...making FULL FORCE GUNS USELESS ... if you were going to do this why didn't you just delete guns from the game?

As for the many Newbie wanna b "Luke skywalkers" complaining about being spammed with guns... there is a reason you made a SABER ONLY OPTION FJKDJFKDJGKSDJG I Guess u are stupid enough to listen to ppl stupid enough To not know how to configure or join a server with SABER ONLY .....

I cant even get 2 shots off with heavy reapeater on secondary fire now... or golan ...this is totally screwd

Enough with the personal attacks, AssKicker. Every post of yours that I've read so far has been calling somebody stupid, whether it be the "whiny saber jedi wannabe bitches" or Raven.

Yes, I agree that the patch over-did some things, but the game isn't completely ruined like some people are saying. This isn't the apocalypse. The patch has only been out for a day or two; let's give it some time to see how it balances so we can get a real idea as to what needs to be fixed and what doesn't.

And please, let's show some respect and stop with all the flaming and personal attacks? Criticism is one thing, but this goes past it. Play the new patch for a week before we all go nuts.

How about a real parry and redirect system? Instead of doing lame things like ruining the DFA, or i'm sure eventually ruining all moves similar to it (back stab ect ect). Think along the lines of DOA or SoulCalibur.......parry and redirect ( alot more jedi like).

In other words you have a button and have to move a certain way plus the button and if done right you'll parry and redirect (use opponents motion against them). This way moves like DFA and BS can remain the way they were and newbs can have a way of better dealing with them (better than whining and getting the whole system ruined). Also make this a host option, that way the whining newbs can play the way this new patch determines while the rest of us can have a truly enhanced and bitchin tactical experiance. These are simple suggestions that have the potential to please everyone and allow for players of all types to be able to enjoy the game...which=more cash for guys.

Everything in the patch that effects gameplay is ass except....... actually, here's a list of pros and cons instead.

Pros

- The increased saber locking chances (omg this rules so much)

- The fixed Light Stance lunge and the Heavy Stance DFA attack (THANK YOU!! :D)

- The new levels (they're sooooo nice, thx guys)

- Force Absorb can't be seen when active till someone uses force on the user (this is PERFECT)

- Chopping off hands in saber locks (excellent)

- Disolving bodies when shot or slashed up (looks better then a body sinking into the floor :D)

- The chat boxes (that were badly needed)

- Any fixes that aren't really noticeable but help the game

Cons

- Saber speed increased with light and med stances (AGH, they used to be l33t for fighting with, now they're just random swinging stances for noobs to get lucky with)

- The choppy character animation (probably a result of the increased speed I'd imagine). Also it looks like the character jerks around a bit with some of the heavy swings, but it just might be me)

- How the saber stances were changed in SP too. (why oh why oh why? it was PERFECT before, now it's got like a ...... weird JK1 style feeling to it all).

-------

That's about all I can think of really. So yeah...... good job minus the cons I listed lol :p.

Strange ...

I find the new light/medium saber style far less random.

Try swinging your saber with the original - straight off the cd - in MP and it always goes in a different place.

Now do the same with the patched version.

It always goes the same place depending on where you tell it to go.

The control of the saber in the new patch - imo - is much tighter - in fact it's anything but random.

I haven't read everything before this... but WHOEVER (no blame on anyone particular) Patched this game should be shot and prison raped.

Pros:

-Absorb is kinda cool.

Cons:

-Grip is crap now. I have a very hard time killing someone if it drains my force power to do 1 point of damage. I'm as serious as a heartattack. If someone defends against grip they take 1 point of damage.

-Drain sucks up too much force now. Doesn't seem to do much either.

-Heal: I was never a light side fan... ever. But I've heard complaints from light siders who said that heal is next to useless now.

-Sabers: I don't use them much, but from what I've heard some good things were done, and a number of moves were screwed up.

-Jumping: This was just a flat out mistake. There was nothing that needed balancing... but they screwed it up anyway. double clicking takes time and is inaccurate... makes it very hard to wall jump or jump kick people. WHY? This basically makes people using absorb GOD now. How else are you going to attack them?

-General: I used to not lag... unless the whole server sucked... now I lag like 56k users. And I am FREQUENTLY, as in more than once per 10 minutes, getting interrupted connection warnings.

I cannot understand who's crack-addicted mind could have dreamed of making a game worse on such a major level. And YES I HAVE been playing the game. I've been testing, and playing and talking to other people in the games. There is a general consensus of "What the hell were they thinking?"

-Truly,

Spaz

The way I see it.........

1)Gun-players hate the patch.

-I hardly play w/ guns and mainly frag on saber-only servers so I can give no input to this issue.

2)DFA and KICK spammers hate the patch.

-They can no longer mindlessly spam these moves as easily as they could before the patch. I think Raven made a good call as far as making these specific changes;)

3)Pure Saber-Only players for the most part welcome the patch.

-Like myself, the added tweaks and changes to the saber fighting are very welcome in my book.Saber control is not as wild and 'luck-based' as before. Also, the tweak where minimum damage is achieved at the beginning and the end of the attack is vvery cool. Pure max damage is achieved at the peak of the saber swing. In the middle like it should be. This tweak fixes the issue where we were all getting killed by an opponents saber barely touching us. Good call Raven!:D

4)Whiners hate the patch.

-These types of people will whine about any changes or tweaks regarding patches and the game itself. They just need to whine. Plain and Simple!:rolleyes:

...................just my .02 S!TH-Sense:p ;)

The only thing I have to say to that is: You obviously don't play much.

I could imitate Adam Sandler and tell you to "SHUT UP YOU STUPID WHORE!"... but that would be n00b like, wouldn't it?

-Spaz Advanced.

My new complaint thread after reading a lot of others complaints:

They (producers of the patch) managed to kill a game. ABSOLUTELY DESTROY IT. Some quotes:

pds.firestorm "All i have to say is stay away from the new patch, stay with the old version

For once those comercials are right "the patch will help you quit" "

[WD]ToRMeNt "This patch is the worst possible thing that could have happened to JK2. TDM and CTF are completely ruined. Saber fights take longer and although graphicly pleasing, they're even more boring.

The guns were lame before but now they're almost not worth picking up because you'd spend most of your time looking for ammo.

The forces were a joke before, but now they're more unbalanced and 2 of the best powers arn't worth spending points on.

It's like Raven is trying to remove the skill factor from JK2 so we're all reduced to idiots pretending to be luke skywalking running around with saber.

WD will NOT upgrade our server. "

Yeah, I will post more when I have time... Now it is time to reinstall jedi Knight to rid myself of this plague.

-Spaz Advanced

I am confused on what raven did with the new patch

There was a lot of complaint about DFA and weapon spamming with the alt fire on the guns, some griping about the force powers but not much, yet when they made the patch they completely re-did the ENTIRE light saber system. My main complaint about it is the ease on witch you block, for ****s and giggles today I would just stand there and not attack, and I only died twice in a 20 minute game :rolleyes:, anybody can do this to test it for yourself, stand in a corner and let EVERYTHING GO, don’t touch your mouse don’t touch your keyboard and you will not get hit at all until someone gets frustrated and does DFA or the backstab....... the thing I loved the most about JK2 was the way you flowed into your moves, now you kind of jerk like the massive pause between the spin moves while in medium, and you do also kind of jerk in the spin moves in light also but it moves faster so its not as noticeable, I am not saying the combos are harder to pull off, it just doesn’t feel right do to the jerkiness of the animations and the lag between the moves, if raven wanted to fix DFA that was fine, but why trash everything else???? and I really don’t see why they needed to trash ALL the guns that bad, and besides isn’t that why the server has all these great options like saber only to make saberist happy??

Sigh.... please repatch the patch

and S!TH!NAT0R, you are prbly the most childish rude non intelligent arguing poster I have seen in almost any forum, you should head over to the Tac Ops forums, you would be right at home :rolleyes:

Enhancement:

Just an idea i had about Force Drain.

i think that instead of draining the oponents force it should drain their vitality, but then you couldn't steal so much to make each others vitality uneven.

So for example, if you had 50 points in vitality and the oponent had 100, you could only drain them to 75 points because thats where you'd be too.

Thats how 'drain' works in reality too, so that just makes more sense i think, and it'd be more balanced because how it is now, someone can drain someone, steal all their force energy and then grip them and throw them over an edge and the victim can't do anything about it because they have no force energy to push them away to get out.

Oh also, how about making the force particle effects optional? i always thought those were kind of lame...

:( The patch isn't too bad... but now instead of being thrown into a gorge, Im continuously pushed in. The new sabre dueling modification is nice. "Not as random..." as someone said, even tho thats not true. I used to love side spin as a counter attack to a lunger... but now its like... "RUN AWAY! CHASE!!! HOPE YOU DON'T GET HIT IN THE MIDDLE OF A COUNTER SWING! ...

Drain I guess should be modified to even out vitality, would make it more interesting. Still heal whores out there and that gets annoying really quick. Grip, hmmmmmm... what can i say about that? Im a heal whore... I used to love grip, getting pushed away and then resuming combat. NOw its like I can only depend on heal to last in a game for more than 30 seconds. Nothing was really wrong with the way force was set before the patch. I was good about drain... used it only to heal. Gripped without completely force draining my adversary. Now it's luck if I can even grip catch the crazy fly swatting chicken.

Those who think sabre combat is longer? LOL!!! Come to the Gamespy: JO lobby and play some of those who learned even deadlier cheap shots. Fun to see, Ghey to be done to.

Anyways, I just want to know when the next patch "may" be out. This one is just too hard to get a grasp on. "NEW gaming style and all."

-Fadeout

"Combat is the bickering of two grown children in the attempt to take over another's possession, be it pride, honor, or glory."

-Tsun Tsu: The Art of War

Okay, having given 1.03 a little more time, it's a grower. Make no mistakes, it' s definately a "Yoda" patch, by which I mean you'll have to unlearn what you have learned. I'm not a gunner, but the new ammo limits do sound unnessecarily harsh, so 1.04 is a nessecary evil, but saber fighting is definately a lot more balanced, encouraging players to switch stance a lot more, rather than remain with one stance.

If you're having troubles adjusting, I suggest that you immerse yourself in saber combat alone, by finding an NF server or setting up a botmatch, and getting used to the new strikes. Then add back in the forces once you're back to a reasonable standard of saber fitness.

And be ready for the humbling learning curve. You may have been the master, but now your powers are weak. Until you have mastered the new patch, you are the n00B.

This is a copy of what I posted in another thread (ad I'll put it into a few more threads too, I'd really like to know what comments I'd get on this)

Here goes...

I'd like to see everything returned to what it was...

Then...

Have the DFA receive the same tweak as in the v1.03 patch (non-turnable)

Make backpedalling (sp?) go at about 75% of running speed (to catch up with the cowards who always keep running, and to make thesaber battles more interesting,as you cannot just go back and front dodging attacks anymore)

Increase the damage OR the speed of blue... (40 damage or 25% speed increase would be just right, I guess, to make it more usefull)

Make heal use a bit more force than first, but not as much as in v1.03... (25hp for 3 blocks seems good on level 3)

Let absorb be invisible, have no (or almost none, like half a block) activation cost, but eat about half a block per sec of force to have it maintained.

Drain should have 200% efficiency, in other words, draining someone's full force meter should use up only half your force meter. Catch is, it should take 7-10 secs of continued draining to fully drain someone. One full force meter drained = 75hp seems about right to me. If the drain is absorbed, it should give no health to the drainer, and give force to the absorber in a rate of about 1/2 of what the drainer spent.

Push and Pull should work on someone who turned on absorb, but only with 50% effect. Knocking people over with Pull/Push when they're absorbing should be impossible.

Push and pull should also require a bit less force power.

Pull should have a longer area of effect, so you can pull someone's gun out of his hands from a larger distance (+50% range sounds good)

Push should, when aimed on a projectile, use less force and be a lot quicker to use (to be able to keep up with the shots of the gunner), BUT, the aim on the projectile should be more precise, so you'll need some skill in doing this.

The tweaks to push/pull should balance things out against gunners, AFAIK, so the guns can be like they were in the beginning.

Mind Trick, Dark Rage, Seeing, Speed, etc... was all perfectly fine, no changes needed there.

Remember that al these changes are what I think should be done to the PRE-patch gameplay, in other words, undo any changes the patch did, then apply these changes. IMO it should make for balanced, competitive gameplay.

Now, to adress the issue of people wanting to have a more movie-like, we could include an extra RPG/Movie option, to switch to the new style, with lots of blocks.

Competitive style (or normal style) with the same blocking ratio as first should be default. I think that we could please most of the saberists with this option.

(BTW, some people say there's less randomness in the patch due to the fact that now, when you slash while standing still, you have always the same slash. I agree that it should have been like that in the first version, along with the tweaked DFA.)

Also, please note that I'm not a DFA spammer/gun whore/heal slu/whatever... I'm one of those guys who likes fair play, doesn't whine about "cheap moves" but tries to find a counter... if they can pull it off, it's MY fault... so please don't flame me or something, I'm only trying to give some constructive critisism here.

So... comments anyone ?

Archived