Home

Patch Thread

Vagabond

OK, I post again. I admit drain is a bitch. It did need to be changed. It should drain slower, and should give more health per bit of force, but shouldn't allow you to go past 115 health (a minor good thing.) So this way the drain whores really can't fully drain a person unless they got the crap beaten out of them, and still wouldn't be able to drain a persons entire force bar. That could work.... Questions/ Comments?

Force Push and pull... I think are ok.... A few nights ago i met someone who would constantly pull you towards them... allowing them to attack you while you were on the ground. It rarely actually killed me, and usually left him force-less. So These are probably ok... I would like it if push Pushes weapons fire back AT the person... instead of just that general direction. Same with saber blocking... you should be able to direct it like they do in the movies... Too many times have I accidentally shot an ally because I was blocking and it was just going everywhere.

Absorb is fine. Even with the invisibility... makes it a worthwhile force to have... I vote not in favor of having it absorb push/pull and drain. It was fine like it was in that respect.... we don't need little light force gods running around.

To quote someone whom I disagree and agree with:

[QGA]Vertigo:

"Make backpedalling (sp?) go at about 75% of running speed (to catch up with the cowards who always keep running, and to make thesaber battles more interesting,as you cannot just go back and front dodging attacks anymore) "

Saber combat is fine the way it is... no need to use patch 1.03... unless you really absolutely need to block 100 people all attacking you at the same time.

I heard someone talking about a parry redirect attack... that would be kinda cool... they attack and you hit the attack key as its coming towards you and you turn it around and use its force on them. (Jedi Tai-Chi)... probably wouldn't work so well on light... but would do wonders against those heavy hitters.

Spaz Advanced

PS: I was playing on the [WD] Server... I met [WD]ToRMeNt... My GOD he kicked everyones asses... so... let it be a reminder that people who know what they are doing usually know what they are talking about.... Don't argue with him... he can probably kick your ass.

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never said there was anything wrong with the 1.02 saber system (except the DFA) :)

I only wanted to suggest that they'd change the speed of running backwards to about 75% of running forwards. This would eliminate a GREAT deal of the run-forward-slash-run-backward moves people used in v1.02

It's a minor thing tho... I think it was just fine beefore, but it might stop some people whining about the red stance users.

After retraining my saber skills back to a semblance of where they were, I actually like the new system. The added control is great, and DFA and the blue lunge were dealt with masterfully. Saber combat is slightly less enjoyable than it was, but it's -much- less annoying (removal of tipping, various other balances) that it more than makes up for it. Oh, and combos are awesome. WTG Raven!

HOWEVER:

Blocking: Isn't a ~330º block radius a bit much? "Do you think my blocking in this place has anything to do with my muscles? Or even which way I'm facing??? Free your mind, Neo."

Ass-fighting: The new deadly backstabs and increased block radius seem to have prompted many people to turn their backs, bend over, and come at you butt first. I suspect this will become a dfa analog: It kills people who don't know about it - makes short boring fights and boosts kill counts for those who do.

I agree completely with the slower backpedaling. I read somewhere about the patch trying to increase the amount of close-range saber combat. It has, for the most part, but this would only further that goal.

All in all, I love the patch. It has a few things that may need to be tweaked - it's still too early to tell. I have only one request of Raven:

PLEASE, for the love of god, don't do this again. Relearning everything once is enough.

Well... making the people fight closer to each other has definately worked with this patch. While this might be a good thing for a duel, for FFA this is utterly horrible. In almost every FFA server you'll find an empty level, with just one huge group of people hacking and slashing at each other in one concentrated ball in one of the open places of the level...

I don't see that as an improvement at all...

Since I host mostly full force sabre only TDM.... I can say the patch has ruined this type of play. Yes there are things they did good in the patch.... fixxing bugs, chat icon, adding levels (rather seen CTF levels though) and a few others. But now the sabre battles are boiled down into one big gang swingfest. Before you could take 2 players on and kill one and go to the next before the other guy would be back..... not now. It takes to long to do enough damage to someone before both teams join in...... boring.

Yes some of the sabre things needing tweeking... like the power at front of a swing and end..... and blue needed a boost. But they went to far and made sabre battles drag on.......

Next....Force powers. Can we say the Darkside took it in the but? YES.... First off drain did need to be tweeked....but what they did to grip made it totally useless. You move so slow now that someone that just bought the game using only the keyboard to move and aim can get out of it and send you on your but with a push. Heal did need to be tweeked also. But Absorb gets a boost? That power is too strong already, pull and push don't do damage and absorb still blocks it. If they are going to hide the use of absorb they should do the same for rage. So the dark jedi is left with lightning. And now you have Absorb GODs running around hacking and slashing. Its too bad a great game like this fell to this level.

Before we start with the problems, as usual, if it can be done, please tell me how.

Now, here are the points I'd like to see changed :

BUGS :

- Collision tests still don't work properly. Many hits just go through the players without causing any damage.

ENHANCEMENTS :

- Have the "electrical skin" effect when you get lightnened be closer to the model.

- Avoid the camera directly switching to the overview of a map but stay longer on the scene where you killed your oponent or were killed in DUEL mode.

I'd like to be able to see both score and the result of my final swip over my oponent's head.

- Add a slow motion option (0/1) for DUEL mode when someone gets killed (like in SP).

- Add a SV_SABERREALISTICCOMBAT 0/1 for any kind of mode that involves lightsabers fights.

- I guess this one is impossible to do but let's ask for it anyway : Be able to cut someone vertically, from the top of the head to the middle of the hips.

- Correct the Force Choke zigzag. This occurs at the first seconds when you Force Choke someone, the choked player starts to move from left to right and then back to left and so on. Could this wriggling be corrected, it looks a bit... unreal and misplaced.

That's all, thanks. :)

Yeah, thats so true about the hit detection, my blade passes thru my oponent all the time and its very frustrating...though i guess it maybe, and probably is due to lag.

Well, certainly not. This also happens when I play against bots.

And I agree. It is very, very, very frustating. SOmehow I expected more from the patch.

Will have to wait.

ENHANCEMENTS:

1. Able to pull away lightsaber and blaster

2. Able to use 2 lightsaber but can't use heavy stand, but maybe medium, mostly light tho

3. while using 2 lightsaber, can't use certain force powers like, push, pull, grip, drain, lightning, heal, just the ones that surround the model like portect, and can't use force throw

4. maybe add some hand to hand combat, like when you have no lightsaber, the person can throw like a punch or kick?(mostly you'd run when someone took your lightsaber)

5. Able to put away weapons, and just have bear arms, like no weapon/weapons present in the hand

6. NEED YODA SKIN!!!

Note: If not the 2 lightsaber idea, then at least be able to take away the other guy's lightsaber / blaster. In addition, when you lost your lightsaber, like in single player your lightsaber should glow, but you can call it back, or not...

BUG

1. FIX UP HEAVY STAND, CAN't DO SPECIAL ANYMORE SINCE THE PATCH

2. Not too quite sure about the invisible for the absorb, if do keep it, they should do that for protect aswell, ya know when it's turned on and you get hit, all your enemy will see just hitting a green shield around you.

3. I don't know if this bothers anyone, but they should fix that when you enter a game and you want to change your force powers beore joining they should change it right away, before entering the game, it's a pain when everything is set to master, then enter a jedi knight force mastery level, and when you change it you have to die to reconfig everything else. I don't know if this happens, but it happens to me...not to mention it doens't always work the first time, i have to do it 2 twice before i get the "next time you respawn, your configuration will be change" crap

Well, I normally don't bother posting on public boards but with this new patch I thought I'd throw my 2 cents worth in.

There is good and bad with this new patch. Let's start with force powers. Ok, for the most part I think that the patch was only half succesful. Drain was overly powerful before the patch but now I think it's a little TOO weak. I feel Drain should be a 1 for 1 trade. most of the other dark powers I think are ok...or seem to be fairly balanced in my opinion. On the light side of things Heal, pre-patch, was a bit too effective. You could heal a lot of dmg for not much force use. Now, it's the reverse, you heal about 25 hps or so for 1/2 your force power....again....a bit underpowered now. Again, perhaps a 1 for 1 trade would be good. Jump also seems to use quite a bit of force energy now. I do like that Absorb doesn't cause the blue aura whenever it's on and only when it's being hit by a force power. A nice touch.

Ok on to the sabers. The new animations are rather nice. Down playing the Red (strong) and upping the Blocking is nice. Red can still do a lot of dmg but is more risky to use...which is how it should be as Red leaves you more open for a counter attack. Yellow (medium) and Blue (weak) haven't changed too much though the elimination of the old Yellow spin kind of takes away a few saber combinations, the new Yellow spin (yes there is a new one) has a nice animation and is not too bad a replacement. Throwing being added as available to no force games gets mixed reviews. While it does add a new dimention to the n/f saber games there is a tendancy for people to just run around or keep backing away from an opponent so they can keep throwing. I feel this takes away from the aspect of a true saber fight. However if used sparingly it's a nice touch. On the downside though, saber combat seems...for lack of a better word...clumsy. It just doesn't look or feel as fluid as it did before. I don't know if that's due to the new animations or something to do with the code from the patch but it definatly isn't as smooth as before.

Guns. While I am not a gunner, I did go in and see what changes the patch had on them (and a lot of ppl had been telling me that they didn't like the changes) and overall i would have to agree. I like the guns in JO much better than the ones from JK but personally I don't think the guns really needed to be changed at all. They seemed to be well balanced before the patch but now I have to say some (heavy repeater in particular) is quite underpowered now.

The new levels are nice. Adds some to the game along with all the player made skins and levels. Btw....why no new skins with the patch? There are a lot of great player made ones out there now but I was suprised that none were added with the patch.

Overall, I think the patch is a bit dissapointing but could easily be fixed. I wouldn't give up on the game just yet but I do know that a lof of the competitve leagues that are out there are very close to dropping the game due to the patch. I hope Raven will realise this and make some changes....it would be a real shame to see this game get tossed aside because of one bad patch.

Element_Imp

BUG:

Since patching the game(and only since then), everytime I switch fighting stances or force powers, I throw my saber as well. I have my mouse 4 and 5 buttons setup to make the changes. My mouse is a Microsoft Intellimouse 3.0 USB.

Any suggestions...other than remapping the keys?

I've already mailed my formal complaints regarding the patch, so I won't repeat them again. However:

Suggestion:

It's great that we can choose our saber colors, now how about some new 'hilt' styles and the ability to choose from them like we can with the colors? This would be awesome, imo.

Bug: (I don't know if this has been reported yet, but I'm far too lazy to check)

Some passworded servers still don't show up as passworded... I have no idea why. :( I just noticed it happens occasionally when I try to enter a new server.

Enhancement: Perhaps add a new icon for "slow" servers. I'm not exactly sure what these servers change, but it makes rolling about half as slow and walking about 70% as slow. I can't stand these servers (as they tend to throw your timing off), though I can't say it's very high on the list of my list to fix things (the highest has been addressed already) it would be nice.

Or, if you have the time, you could add a search filter like in Tribes 2 (that was ingenious). I don't think you'll need to put in clock speed and such, but it would be nice to know whether bots are in a game or not along with knowing whether it's a "slow" server or not.

Oh, and I love the icons you added. It's so much easier to find NF duel servers now...

-Stele007

Well I for one was a hater of this new patch and still am in certain ways. But there were some good changes as well as some bad.

Dislikes:

1. Drain is still being used when they dont need any health (perhaps make Drain where they can only use it if they need health or make heal where u can heal more than 100 but have it drop slowly like it does at beginning of match)

2. I like the Absorb but a friend of mine is deaf and cant hear the absorb being active, maybe change this somehow. Im sure there are many other impaired players out there who feel the same.

3. Death from Above should not be blockable, or unaimable. I think you went a little over the edge in nerfing this, maybe make it so the blade isnt as "hot" for as long as it was in the retail version.

4. The Medium and Strong stance backslash has far too much range, and u can also give two hits with it if u rotate ur camera as u swing it. I use this move alot but find it cheesy. The fast style back jab at least has low range and needs to be aimed fairly well for it to connect.

1. The maps

2. The Icons in the server lists (maybe have a version able to be shown as well, w/o having to go into the "about server" list)

3. Not dying when u change ur force powers/skin/name, but im finding that server Admins if they are @ holes reset the server where they still have powers but u do not. :(

Mixed feelings:

1. The kick although now needs more timing and skill to pull off is kinda button smashing at times.

2. Saber locks are all about button smashing as well still, maybe being able to add more force powers to intervene with it will make it more "cinematic" as you people in Raven seem to like b/c of this blocking scheme.

3. The saber throw is a little overpowered and i find that drainers, that back peddle away all the time constantly throwing their sabers is just plain annoying.

i think all my suggestions apply only to multiplayer:

1.03 Bugs:

When starting a new map (i think it might be before it actually starts or something though) the camera goes kind of crazy and my character flies into the the nearest wall and just kind of stays there for a few momements...its kind of hard to explain

Can't break glass with a saber throw anymore :(

Tweq:

i think it would be much better if when you pull someones weapon away that it wouldn't automaticly switch to another, instead it should leave the player as they should be, disarmed...or fists, if you decide to add them in officaly (as it was in Jedi Knight). As it is now, its really kind of confusing, because when someone takes my weapon i'm left there wondering what happened to it for a few seconds, it took me a couple times to realise what was actually happening, (also because the pull is so fast i don't really notice, maybe slow it down a bit?). Or if i take it from someone else it sometimes feels like i didn't actually take anything because there's automaicly a weapon in their hand, its kind of hard to tell from a distance. Also, i think its really silly to not be able to take away someones brayar pistol...though i guess if the player was mainly just skilled with guns then it would be unbalanced because someone could just take away their weapon of choice and thus their skill. Classes would make this right, i'm looking forward to it in a future patch :)

Also, i don't like how i spawn with my lightsaber armed (On)...nobody else seems to like that either.. especially in duels because as soon as we start we always disarm it anyway, it just seems so unclassy as it is. i think it would be best to make it an optional thing though, so we can start out with our weapon of choice.. as well as the mode of the weapon (being combat ready or non-combat ready)

Force Pull is more effective than Force Push, if you constantly pull someone two or three times they'll get pulled; this doesn't apply to Force Push, though i think it should.

Enhancement:

Saber blocking should be a manual action, in a system this sophisticated its just completly nessesary, i also think that it would solve all (or at least most of) of the complaints about the saber combat in 1.03

i'd LOVE to have a non-combat ready mode for each weapon. We have it for the sabers, which is great i'd love that...it'd be nice if we had that for guns too, especially for fists though if we get them.

I'd like to see if all neutral forces would require the same amount of force energy (like 20 units). Speed is taking far too much energy for my taste, or the force should regenerate while using neutrals. I mean the force usage in JK1 was more enjoyable.

A duel mode for guns with items like shields, health and bacta would be great (it's quakish, i know) and of course some duel maps for gunners.

Anyway it would be a great thing if the weapon placement (like replace a gun with another) and ammo consumption would be adjustable by the server, that would solve some problems.

sorry for my bad english ;)

One of my friends and I were talking about some neat ideas for a new patch. I have sub-divided my ideas between necessary and cool.

Necessary:

-I admit drain is a bitch. It did need to be changed. It should drain slower, and should give more health per bit of force, but shouldn't allow you to go past 115 health (a minor good thing.) So this way the drain whores really can't fully drain a person unless they got the crap beaten out of them, and still wouldn't be able to drain a persons entire force bar. That could work....

-Un nerf all of the stuff... it was fine before (except drain... I am a drain whore as well... and its just damn cheap.)

-Advanced option for sorting games.

+Game V. 1.02, 1.03, etc.

+Force mastery

+Force disable (off and other)

+Weapon disable (sabers only and other)

+Password

-

-More server options or Cvars for stuff correlating to the patch.

<End Necessary>

Cool:

-Use a quick burst of jump to soften a landing (like right before you hit the ground) because rolling doesn't always work.

-Pull someone's lightsaber away... but they can pull it right back if they hit attack. Also...

-Pick up someone's lightsaber (after pulling it away or defeating someone (how the lightsaber just clatters to the ground etc)) and be able to use both lightsabers at the same time, but grip, drain, lightning, push, pull, and mindtrick would not be available with both swords on. Hitting the sword select would cycle between off, one on, and both on. Heavy style would not be available.

-Double bladed without cheats: It would have slower attacks, and spins could leave you open more... This wasn't thoroughly thought out... so its ... incomplete... but a neat idea. Again it would have off, one on, both on. Wouldn't be able to use another lightsaber, but force would still be available.

-Redo weapons:

+Allow akimbo weapons for certain ones (not missiles or sniper etc.)

+Replace bryar pistol with a better weapon... or not...

+Allow akimbo E-11s. Having them this way would allow fast but very innaccurate fire, again with akimbo weapons, many force powers are disabled. Trade off. Using only one should allow more accurate fire by crouching.

+I think the Tenloss is fine. Maybe make the rounds a little more visible for longer... In Nar Shadda Streets I can remain unnoticed for an entire game with 12 people.

+Bowcaster... never had a problem with it.

+Repeater... WHAT A CHEAP WEAPON... anyway... I think the conc rounds should be fired slower... not much... just a little... and should maybe be easier to push back or block or something. I've been killed because I couldn't run away fast enough. Even the tenloss isn't that bad.

+EMP... fine... don't care.

+Flechette... grrr... I could care less about primary fire... its the secondary mine function that is so cheap. I would like to nerf it by making it only shoot one mine.. explode on impact (when it hits the floor)?... but make it more accurate (more like a grenade launcher).... yeah... its TOO hard too avoid a n00b with an itchy trigger finger and a lot of ammo in Raven or similar areas.

+Missile... Fine... easy to avoid... good use... ammo is fine...

-

-Block .SOME. lightning with Lightsaber like in Episode II... would help for lightning n00bs.

-Saber combat was fine in 1.02... I don't have problems defending myself... except in my own ineffeciencies... If I can do it... so can you... or you need to get better.

<End Cool>

Some points that were lost on some people:

-This game is built on skill.

-Dark side is used to overpower and overwhelm an enemy. It uses powerful attacks and is generally more powerful. Very Offensive.

-Light side it used to keep yourself protected while kicking the crap out of your enemy. Defensive only.

-Powers shouldn't be nerfed together by n00bs so that both sides look identical. They both have their pos/neg sides. I have seen both used *Skillfully* with devastating effects by saber wielding people.

-If you complain about how someone is beating you with their force or their lightsaber: Either get better or go play Quake.

-If you complain about getting shot by someone, for the most part, you just need to get better... cause you suck. If you get raped by one of the ******* with a flechette or repeater... well... they can be blocked... but not easily... even I complain about them... but then again... there are always sabers only servers.

If you don't like this game and you want to make it easier with nerf patches then you really need to go back to preschool or wherever and play with Barney.

-Spaz

PS: If you can't figure out why your force doesn't work... then maybe you should look at the instruction manual... or maybe the options.... this is the most retarded thing I have seen.

Questions/ Comments?

WE NEED. An official fair and balanced Darth Maul, Darth Vader, and most importantly THE EMPEROR SKINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm talking a return of the Jedi Emperor (funny face included!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). And upright please!! :)

One simple solution would solve every multiplayer problem...

Make the damage system & saber speed in MP like how it is in SP. This results in more strategic fights, as sabers will almost always do 1 hit kill when the hit connects. Light would be good, as it's fast, however strong hits would just go through it. Saber battles would be extremely intense as that one hit could mean your death.

Saberists wouldn't complain against gun users, because if you get close enough to someone with a gun, just saber him to death.

Only change that would need adjusting is saber throw, as it would be too powerful against people not wielding a saber.

(Sorry if this has been brought up before, and if it has I wonder why Raven wouldn't have considered it as it seems to make the most sense to improve the MP game.)

-ice

I think that the changes in the new version are really well balanced. I like the way the drain has been changed pretty much eliminated the constant drain whores.

The only concern that I have about it is the saber throw. It deals way too much damage and there are too many people who absolutely abuse it by running back and constantly throwing their saber. My suggestion for the next patch would be to lower the damage dealt by the sabre throw from the current 30 to possible 12 or 15. I think it would limit the use of it and people would have to actually get up and fight instead of just trowing their sabre around. Thats just my suggestion

IAMSAM

if i had a gun i would ****ing murder you with it right now, you ****ing waste of human flesh.

newbies with gunes killing you a lot so you whine about heavy repeater and golan. You never played a FPS in your life and now you act like you know what the **** you are talking about. This is what mistake raven made, it listened to bunch of anals on what the patch should look like.

I agree saber throw should be toned down (*really* important, because ppl start abusing it heavily, especialy in conjunction with pull, well who have seen/done this will know what I mean).

Backstabbing is jsut too strong as well. kick is strong now as well, because one can easily do it mid-jump. not too sure *how* much of an impact this might have had...

Otherwise this patch is (!)great(!).. except for a few bugs (possibilitie to do special moves in mid-jump and *jumping/or something while already in air, so removing ANY falling damage by coming down SLOWLY)

I won't explain how these work, most ppl know anyways and too much ppl EVEN DO it.. this is the sad part :(

Please ontoher patch.. just to fix things!

(RAVEN isn't reading this thread-o-flames anymore i guess :/)

Bug:

i've noticed that if you walk/run off a ledge without jumping, you fall doing the walk/run motions in mid-air. That happens all the time to me, very silly looking.

Oh and i totaly agree with you, icechai about how damage should be as it is in single player, that would be so great. If a saber goes thru you you should die, no matter what. If one laser blast hits you in the head or chest, you should also die... some people would be opposed to that though, so it should at least be an option set by the server.

Manual blocking and realistic damage would "balance" everything, methinks. There wouldn't be any complaining or anything anymore because it would all be realistic, and it would make everyone much happier even if they don't realise it yet :)

Look you stupid 12 year old with a joystick. JUST BECAUSE YOU THINK YOU'RE RIGHT DOESN'T MAKE IT SO. And I am an AVID half-life, TFC, DoD, UT, and AvP player. I used to be god with a sniper rifle in HL. You have no say in whether I know what I'm talking about. NOW...

I'll admit I was being a little girl about the Golan and the Repeater. But I still find parts of it shouldn't necessarily be totally nerfed, but tweaked, so you can still kill, just as with the tenloss... but it would take SKILL. I have to say that the flechette is damn gay... but thats just my opinion... I don't care about the repeater so much anymore.

Satisified you little 12 year old?

Next: Realistic saber fighting... I agree... maybe a server option... to keep the masses happy.

-Having a block key

-making the sword do more damage... close to lethal when attacking without being blocked.

-sink the saber throw to less than half what it is now... but it would deal exceptional damage if it were unblocked (as from behind)

-cut off limbs, spin around and cut someone in half, etc.

-I think this would be a pretty fun option... that would satisify me instead of nerfing the guns... hell just kill the user.

I think thats about it.

-Spaz

Flame on. I enjoy the burn.

Archived