Home

What's your code of honor?

Mattman

Well, there have many rants between the mentalities of honorable playing vs anything goes, but that's not what I'm looking for here. When I play MP, I restrict myself to certain rules, that I consider my "Code of Honor". I do this strictly for my own fun, and don't expect others to do the same (though I do grant a certain amount of respect to those who show it to me.) I consider it a challenge.

I'd like to know if any of you other folks out there have similar methods of play, and what rules they entail...

Anyway, here is mine:

My code of honor tends to vary slightly depending on the actions of my opponent(s).

I'm strictly light-side / saber (even on gun servers), with the rare exception that I set out specifically to play a gun game (this is preplanned though, I won't go switching my rules mid-game.)

On duel servers, I'll only use heal if my opponent heals / drains first. If they don't, and end up knocking me down to 5 health, I just deal with it and hope I can avoid being hit again. If I'm beat, I simply yield to my opponent's superior skill (or luck ;) ).

Against guns (or in the middle of a giant saber furball), however, I will use any force power at my disposal. This is on a case by case basis though, and if my opponent puts away his gun and draws his saber when I come near, I will afford him the same courtesy I listed above (and this has happened on many occasions.)

So, there you have it. I may have left something out, but I've covered the main points.

I'd like to stress, that this is not a thread about ranting over "dishonorable" playing. I simply want those of you who follow a sort of code of honor to share it with the rest of us... Could be interesting.

By the way, I'd also like to add that if your playstyle is win by any means necessary, that I DO NOT consider that applicable to this thread. This is only for those who impose upon themselves rules that are not specifically enforced by the game.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Flow of the server. If I see people using guns I use guns back, if I have the flag and theres a bunch of people fighting Ill use the alt fire of the repeater to clear them, if I have the repeater out and a guy comes at me Ill waste him, if Im on Narshada... push!

Before I wage a duel, I turn the saber off, crouch, then bow my head to show respect. Its starting to catch on in the rooms I frequent, which is nice. I use to be a Sith, but I have been reborn into a JK, therefore I use the name Anakin. The power of drain lured me into the dark side, but my friend trained me in the ways of the saber so I do not need to "cheat" anymore.

I try to basically take my current score, and increase it incrimentally until it is the highest score on the server. Usually, there's a "fraglimit" that dictates the highest score on the server before changing to the next map. Typically I go for that.

Essobie

Very nice Essobie, I almost agree, except there are some things I try to avoid, like slaughtering people who are just standing there, obviously having problems in some way...unless it's a Duel and they're just frigging wasting time. I also try to be nice to people who bow and stuff in duels, I mean, it's really crappy to Saber someone who's trying to be polite.

As for the rest.....I actually prefer light powers, and I see no reason to stand around and not heal just because someone else is too stupid to heal themselves, and I have zero problems blowing people up with random Thermal Detonators, Trip Mines, Det Packs, or splash damage weapons... it pisses me off when I'm fighting with someone and I get randomly blown up but, eh, teaches me to pay attention.

I suppose I'm a little bit hypocritcal in some ways, I tend to havbe a much more strict code of honor in duels than in FFA...but I think one lends itself to honor and the other lends itself to deviousness...

I dont really play on Strict FFA servers I go for mostly just sabers and neutral powers, sometimes adopting some of the Light side powers, mostly abosob and maybe an occasional Mind Trick. If I am dueling and someone bows I do in kind if they dont then I dont most of the time. I play this game for the saber combat almost strickly, even if I play on a server that has full force powers and I know alot of people are going to use light/dark powers I still wont, it distracts me from my fun, I like to see how long I last without most aid. I will use push and pull when needed or when me and some other guy are in a non engage_duel and someone comes up and wants to join in when the person I am dueling and myself only want it to be just the 2 of us. Mostly I have seen if I am in that situation both me and the dueler stop what we are doing and rape the guy. I guess I am more of a 1v1 dueler really. I dont complain if I go to an FFA server and see someone that just wants to swing at everyone, after all it is an FFA server. If I cant find anyone that wants to 1v1 duel I might join in the fun for a bit till I do find someone or I will go to another server. I dont frequent most duel gameplay server since it takes so long to get in line sometimes. I dont understand why some people run 20 person duel servers, so I go for mostly FFA with other duelers. I have been playing online FPS's for so long in the battle of getting the most kills that I am getting worn out by it, so now I play for fun and ignore the score.

I try to stick to saber only servers. If I want a gunfight, I'll go play Tactical Ops.

I use Dark Powers (well, Power), mainly because (and I know this is cheesy) of my game name, which is Darth Bob, and I couldn't think of a good name that would coincide with Light Powers, so...

I will try and restrict my use of Force Powers, however, if someone is excessively using Push, or Grip, I will use it on them.

I really, really hate it when you're fighting someone and you get Pushed off a ledge (to me that equals no combat skill). Now, some people will say that it's built into the game or map (like this one person said while playing Narshada Streets). Whatever; lame is lame in my book, and I don't like it happening to me, so I won't do it to other people (unless they do it first and/or excessively).

I hate Lightning, and never use it.

I hate Drain, and never use it.

I will use Saber Throw while in a duel if it's allowed (as it still involves fighting with the Saber, just with a little help from the Force). If you don't like it because you're too busy trying to kill me with the Strong+jump move, then that's you're problem.

I will most always try to draw out people for a duel, it's much more fun than a chaotic free for all. The best map is Bespin Streets, with the circular pad. I will sheath my saber when a duel is in progress and will attack anyone who engages an unprovoked attack on the pad (this includes Pushing off the edge). If you have some code of honor, or prefer duels, then that's cool, if not, don't come and ruin it for those who do, esp. when there are other people in the middle of the map.

There should be honor, even in death...

I also "go with the flow of the server", but I wont over-use a move or go aroud alt-repeater killing people or anything similarly cheap (drain + grip players). On rare occasion, when everyone on a server is cracking jokes or just being funny, and someone walks up and puts down their saber to duel, ill do the heavy stance finishing move. Usually I do it to get a laugh, and I normally do, but I dont practice this behavior normally. I will only use guns if someone is playing cheaply or homing people from long range.

I play by my own set of rules and try to respect other peoples too. I will not attack someone with sabre off unless they were being beaten and run away to get health and shields. I will bow if others do but most people just try to take your head off so iwill recipricate. I like to duel one on one and it is anoying when an outsider just jumps in or waits for one to die then tries to take an easy kill.

I play mostly on FFA's and will join a mass brawl if it's happening but would prefer to pick people out for a real fight. I play only with sabre and light powers. I do use heal a lot but then so do most of my opponents. I challenge a lot of people to duels and Bespin street is one of my favs.

I won't attack people not moving unless they have been there for a long time and are in my way. I will normally seek out and attack anyone who uses cheap moves on me and if they continue to do it i will hunt them for the rest of the game making them my prime target for a sabre in the head. I will always say GF or GG if I have the time to type it. And if I'm being beaten down by a superior opponent then I will keep trying to learn from my mistakes and observe their style to try to find a weakness. I will accept any duel invitation.

On mps like Nar Sh. I will only push if i'm being puhed (i personally hate this map as it takes no skill to push someone off).

I will usually try to use absorb if someone is trying to push me off and kill them with a good sabre hit or 2.

Hope to meet some of you online. I normally look for small max no. of players to join.

It would be good to say which servers you use so that others of similar mentallity could join up for some ggod games. My online name is SLART.

Good thread!:)

My 'personal code'. (Note, I usually play on FFA servers as they are a lot more fun than duelling servers.)

I always accept challenges to Duel with sabers...

I will always challenge players I find 'interesting' (eg. People using the same skin that I am using, people with 'opposing' skins to mine, people who roleplay (bowing/taunting) etc.)

During duels, I will use 'cinematic' moves that look good! (eg. backfliping along a walkway or extinguishing my sabre and taunting my opponent during 'breathing spaces'.)

I never shoot or saber players who have sheathed their sabers and are standing still.

I use both Dark and Light setups as I feel it is important to know both sides of the equation if you want to be able to beat allcomers!

When playing with a Dark side setup, I always use a red (Sith) lightsaber and an 'evil' skin like Reborn/Desann/Tavion etc.

When playing with a Light side setup I always use a non-red (Jedi) lightsaber and a 'good' skin like Luke/Kyle/Jedi etc.

In a Duel I will do anything to win (ingame) so long as it is fair.

I'm happy enough to get some kills with the guns if they are on, as I expect other people to use them too.

I like to surprise people with unusual tactics. (eg. In a 2-on-1 fight, I might back around a corner and then place a forcefield with a sentry turret in front of it.:))

I always like to congratulate people that beat me in duels or commiserate them if I win. (eg. "well played", "gg", "n1" etc.)

I like to taunt people.:D

FatboyTim.

for me it depends, if i'm going ffa, i have no code of honour. I'll drain/grip/push, spam a fight, interrupt a duel, anything goes. To me its just Q2 style all over again, different graphics different guns. Not always going for most frags, just get more enjoyment out of killing anyone and everyone

in a duel server its a differnt story. If powers are on, and they dont want to use them, then I won't. I never use drain. If I accidently use a power i let them punish me. I like to play fair in duel and beat them on pure skill, not dog tactics etc.

I have an honour code, but there are only a few parts that I will follow strictly:

If someone is not moving, I will not kill them.

If they are AFK, lagged, trying to duel, anything; I'll either leave them alone or challenge them.

I will always use my saber.

Even on guns servers, when I'm getting owned with the repeater alt-fire.

As for ns_streets, I push people, people push me, its all good. Like the giant saber melees that happen on the plateau on one end of the level, those people are just asking to be pushed. My current record: 4 people at once. If you have a problem with it, find a counter! Drain is a good way to stop people pushing you.

I play Jedi-trainer model only(Or Jedi if there are too many Trainers, though I find few people play Trainer around me), with a green lightsaber. I will only use guns if there is an exessive amount of people in the game(10-16), and even then I dis-like it. Ive played through Max Payne, MoH:AA and RTCW all within these last few months, and im pretty fed up with guns, thus I usually only play saber-only ffa, which I find is the absolute best way to play, saber only duel servers behind that slighltly( ;) ).

On maps like Nar Shadda streets, and Warring Sides, I dont use push/pull, for I find that is the way of the Dark Side, though they posess grip as well, I find it cheap.

I would use light-side taunts, but unfortunetly I havent figured out how to assign taunt keys yet. Also, I dont use the "strong finishing move" because I find it very cheap, and I think the Dark Side should be the only ones to use it.

Im very honorable in FFA games, and I roleplay too the extent that I can(not knowing half the stuff you can do prohibits me from doing so on occasion).

The Honour part of the game is really quite intersesting to me, it's surprissing that so many people actually do play with manners.

I personally when duelling,

1 Always bow with saber off, unless its a new player in which case I leave my saber on during the bow. Just in case they are honourless.

2 If some one falls into the pits say in carbon or the big grey arena, i'll back off and use the time to regain force powers, cause if they have little force power left they'll struggle to get out if they are new to the game. If however they are a dirty honourless fighter I'll steam in and mash em up!!!

3 I usually use light attack only if the player I'm up against is obviously not so great at the game, it makes it more interesting for me and gives them a chance to win a game and every jedi needs a confidence boost once in a while.

4 In FFA I use whatever anyone else is using ie guns sabers force whatever, else you just end up getting mashed up all the time and i don't think anyone can enjoy that.

Peace and good vibes to all

Maff (Jah Warrior):atat:

I was challenged to a duel last night, and accepted, but immediately found that my bad ping rate was making it impossible for us to hit each other, and I decided it was time for me to leave and try some other server.

Rather than simply disconnect, which would've probably looked like I was a sore loser for being hit once and having not landed a blow in return, I paused long enough to chat a message to my opponent that I was leaving due to lag, and sorry. Then I turned off my saber and bowed to my opponent before leaving.

I hope that that gesture made him feel better for losing the kill he was likely to score, since my yielding to him doesn't give him a point.

~JediMouse~

Originally posted by BoyInAWhelchair

Grow up people. It's a ****ing game.

Jesus..honor...If you fanboys aint masterbating while swinging your sabers, your kicking some guy cause he chooses to use guns.

Pathetic

Boy In A wheelchair

Well, at least we can all spell wheelchair...:p

I play mostly No Force Duel (so far). I play as a chaotic evil Tavion. I will often bow and so forth, but every once and awhile I just charge over there and whack someone on the head while they are still slow walking to where ever they go to bow. So stay awake folks. I also like hiding when the map is appropriate. I am also tired of all the weinies who fight on flat in the map with the two cliffs.

darth milo

My "code" of honor is no ranged weapons, or ranged offensiv force powers(drain, light etc...push/pull is okay) period.

I only use light saber and push/pull, it actually works rather well heh.

My codex:

- saber only

- strictly light side

- all force powers

- never refuse a duel

- never kill people with turned-off lightsabers

- never complain about "cheaters"

- never, strictly NEVER tk on purpose, no matter what.

- my team is more important than my score (in CTY and the like)

But just like the starter of this thread said: I don't require anyone to bow to these rules. If they don't - OK, no prob.

Digital_Ronin

:tied:

Archived