Home

Sioux City "SUX"

Boba Rhett

Well well well. It seems my hometown is making some headlines. :)

Sioux City, Iowa. Every place with an airport has a "code". An abbreviation of the name usually. Well, Sioux Cities code is "SUX". :D It seems as though most people here are finally sick of all the jokes so we're now trying to change it.....

SIOUX CITY, Iowa, March 22 (UPI) -- City officials say their airport's designation really SUX.

And they're asking the Federal Aviation Administration to change the three-letter code.

Friday's Des Moines Register reports no one at the airport currently knows why the facility was designated SUX.

With other airport designations, it's possible to reason out the derivation. For example, O'Hare International Airport in Chicago is ORD. It was originally known as Orchard Field. New York's Laguardia's LGA is self-evident as is Los Angeles' LAX.

Sioux City airport officials have asked the FAA to consider SGA for Sioux Gateway Airport.

A spokeswoman for the FAA in Chicago said airports can petition for name changes but it's rare any are granted.

lol, r2. that was pretty corney. but still, i would hate to have a name like that for our airport. i would make another corney joke a/b how that really SUX, but i'm not 1 2 beat a dead horse. o, and r2, just b/c it's his hometown doesn't mean he still lives there. my hometown is Searcy, AR, but i dont live there now.;)

Archived