Home

No place for me

Tarus

I do play and enjoy this game but my favorite type of fighting is ether neutral power only, or at least level 2 jump and level 1 throw. However with server modes its ether all force or no force, which sucks.

Heal and drain are fine and dandy but they drag the game on and make it dull. To many times people turn and run while they heal and since everyone moves at the same speed all the time you really can't catch up very easy. So the whole game turns into running and chasing.

No Force on the other hand seems limiting to me. There is no rank 2 jump so you can't run up a wall, kick, or do anything else except simply jump. Further without a rank in saber throw it lets the DFA spammers run rampent. These guys can swing crazily and DFA spam all they want with much lower risk. With throw enabled you just toss your saber and laugh at them, which usually forces them to play a bit smarter.

------------

One gripe I do have is the lack of low force servers. Everyone seems to have Jedi Master enabled. Funnest of all are the Jedi Master servers with guns disabled...to me running around with lightning and pushing people around is the same as guns, its just you need nothing in your hand. I can understand people crying about guns with low force but with max?

Personally I think lower force servers (at most jedi knight) add some interesting twists to games. You have to choose between this or that rather then getting everything. Further you have to judge your opponents powers.

Only reason I can think of that everyone would have their servers on max force is because they started playing that route and don't want to learn a new way. After all if you take away their powers they are back to square one.

Unfortunately no server admins are as brilliant as I am. You can disable specific force powers and even setup neutral-only force servers...

But like I said, it will take server admins years before they figure it out themselves. Everyone has to have documentation, sheesh...

Originally posted by Tarus

Not everyone cares enough to spend the time learning and some people are better in others things than you. Why don't you tell how to, then you will be famous.

Thank you, but I'm one step ahead of you. I am writting an article for jkii.net as we speak.

The server I run (Clan Sneaky Buffalo JK2 -- soon to be renamed Sneaky Buffalo JK2) uses Jedi Knight as the top value for force levels.

Like you, I'm more interested in making people /choose/ what to use for force power rather than not. I've debated modifying the force pool on a map by map basis.

Part of the problem is that many of the maps are heavily push/pull-centric. Any map like that, you're asking for trouble wandering around with push or pull under level 3 -- even if you don't plan on using it a lot.

As I've got a job, vacations and other things planned in my near future, it'll take me at least a few weeks to learn the various knobs I want to tweak and figure out how to keep the server at its most interesting at all times.

Nonetheless, I encourage anyone interested to swing by our server and play. As you play, if you decide you like the server enough -- check out our associated forums and start offering ideas on what we can do to enhance the overall fun of the server. I'm spending money on it -- I'd just as soon it was filled with happy gamers as much as possible. :)

As to the guide/article being written by Krazx -- lookin' forward to it.

Originally posted by Falryx

Sweet -- I can't say our forums are gunna get you a lot of exposure, but I can garuantee those of us with 'o' tags will talk about it at length. =)

Anyway, our JK2 conversations occur at the 'Action Plains' area of http://www.sneakybuffalo.com

I'm not looking for exposure, just looking to help out those who help me out. Your server has been the one I play on the most, so I am returning the favor.

Sorry Krazx, you're not as smart as you think you are. The reason for the apparent lack of imagination in the server community is because the UI code in JK2 is bugged, not because the server admins are stupid or have fallen into a routine. Presently, a server is either all force powers on or all force powers disabled (supposedly). Disabling even one force power currently leaves the client unable to modify his list (here's the bug), throw disabled, jump at level 1, and uses the force power list from a previous session (providing none of them have been disabled).

I've talked to the head programmer at Raven. They know about this and are working on the patch.

Believe me, I'd LOVE to run a neutral powers only server (would have been great for this past weekend's tournament), but it isn't possible with the current state of the game.

Originally posted by Mertado

Sorry Krazx, you're not as smart as you think you are.

Yes I am. ;)

blah blah blah

Yes, I know all about the bugs. Did I ever say anything otherwise? I haven't even released my information yet.

I've talked to the head programmer at Raven.

LOL!

Believe me, I'd LOVE to run a neutral powers only server (would have been great for this past weekend's tournament), but it isn't possible with the current state of the game.

Yes it is, try harder n00b. I have already been running such a server for 4 days now.

You insinuated that most sysadmins were simply stupid (quote 'not as brilliant as I am') and that, apparently, you are the lord high god of JK2 servers. I simply say "Prove it." I stated that the bugs in the game prevent us from serving up what the community obviously wants. Without hacking the crap out of the assets, forcing the players to pre-setup their force power situation, or only running a specific gametype, what I said was absolutely true. The current state of the game, unmodified, doesn't allow this. Besides, the original poster was lamenting about the situation of the online servers. I was explaining why this is.

Since I've never seen you post anything in the Dedicated Server forum, I'm inclined not to believe a word you say as situations like this, and how to get around them, have been the hot topic since the game was released. What makes you so important that you'd hold back information like this from the dedicated server community? If all you're looking for is recognition, you've got no better place to get it than on that board.

BTW, nooB. What's the address of your server? I'd like to check it out.

Originally posted by Mertado

You insinuated that most sysadmins were simply stupid (quote 'not as brilliant as I am') and that, apparently, you are the lord high god of JK2 servers.

OMG! You can read! I am defeated already.

I simply say "Prove it." I stated that the bugs in the game prevent us from serving up what the community obviously wants. Without hacking the crap out of the assets, forcing the players to pre-setup their force power situation, or only running a specific gametype, what I said was absolutely true. The current state of the game, unmodified, doesn't allow this.

What do you mean, hacking the assets and running a specific game type? Do you even run your own server? Sheesh. Apparently not. Ever hear of cvars? Yeah... didn't think so.

Besides, the original poster was lamenting about the situation of the online servers. I was explaining why this is.

And I was simply pointing out that it's because of people like you with closed minds who don't even bother trying to solve any problems, and would rather bitch and complain all day rather than work on any solutions. *shrug*

Since I've never seen you post anything in the Dedicated Server forum, I'm inclined not to believe a word you say as situations like this, and how to get around them, have been the hot topic since the game was released. What makes you so important that you'd hold back information like this from the dedicated server community? If all you're looking for is recognition, you've got no better place to get it than on that board.

Sorry, this is the only forum I browse through. The "dedicated server" community is filled with complete idiots who think that just because they can afford to run a server that makes them all knowing. They can wait until my server guide is posted on jkii.net like everyone else.

BTW, nooB. What's the address of your server? I'd like to check it out.

Sorry, I have a strict "no whiny bitch" policy. ;)

Krazx, I am actually interested in playing on your server--I am just a lowly player and understood about 1/4 of what was going on in this thread, but I think a server like the one you had set up would be awsome, is there some way you could let me or other people know how to get to yours? You could always ban the whiny bitches :cool:

Archived