Home

The RichDiesel University Tutorial Questions Thread.

WhiteShdw

1. Should I make these platforms/center tower out of brushes or is there something I missed in the tutorial?

Not sure which tutorial set you're on. If you've done GC102, use patches to make the tower. If not, brushes.

2. When I load up my map in single/multiplayer my platforms are totally dark and in your directions it tells me to leave the platforms alone because the sky will light them. I have tried lowering the sky but it hasnt helped, could this have something to do with the fact that I created the brushes before adding the sky? and why wont the platforms light up now?

Shouldn't matter... which sky are you using? Make sure you use bespin/sky (or sky_platform) and not skies/bespin, as skies/bespin does not light anything.

The switch is not the problem, that works fine. The problem is that i can turn off the forcefield even when im not using the switch, just by standing in front of it and pressing enter. Now if i could use func_wall in Mp i probably wouldn't have this problem.

Switches and the like are very quirky in MP - especially USE_BUTTON switches. If you notice, Raven did not once use a switch in their MP maps where you need to press the USE_BUTTON. My guess is that you just... well, can't.

If you really want to do it, I would make the forcefield brush into a func_door with an opening speed of some unreasonably high number so that it seems instantaneous.

rich, i have now made a column and a floor. my column is made of 2 brushes and i made both of the columns and the floors into func_breakable so, how do i connect both of the brushes in my column to the floor so tat when they chop off either brush of the column, the floor will colapse.

Will not work, for the simple reason that there are two possible trigger brushes. What would end up happening is that you'd destroy one of the 2 brushes of the column, and the wall would break while the other half of the column stays standing. Make the column just one piece (one breakable piece anyway), and target it at the floor. Set the floor to INVINCIBLE, just like you would set any other flag. Otherwise, you'll be able to chop through the floor and have it break without touching the column.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Ah Boon

rich, i have now made a column and a floor. my column is made of 2 brushes and i made both of the columns and the floors into func_breakable so, how do i connect both of the brushes in my column to the floor so tat when they chop off either brush of the column, the floor will colapse.

sorry if its too confusing but i hope tat u guys could really help me out on this. thanx :)

This can onlz be done with a script.

Brilliant tutorials

however just a few questions:

1. i can make a brush, then use the bevel function to make a curve, then use the cap function to make it fit along side a straight brush. However when i press esc to deselect it; it dissapears!! what am i doing wrong???

2. What is the best way to make stairs???

If it disappears, you may have Radiant set not to show curves. Check the View->Show menu and make sure Show Curves is checked.

For stairs, there are a number of methods, although the one Wes mentioned is most common (and one of the easiest). All you hafta make sure of is that the angle that you build the stairs at is 45 degrees or less.

After doing that, make a brush with one surface flush with the stairs' top (i.e. a flat surface that the player will walk on) and texture it with system/physics_clip. This is so that the player doesn't bounce from step to step.

Just set the damage level higher than 200. That should kill anybody instantly, seeing that you have a max health of 100 and a max shield of 100. Anything that does damage higher than 200 should theoretically kill anyone with max health and shields. You can set it higher if you want it to kill very strong NPCs.

Also set the no protection value, that way nothing can protect you from the damage.

Originally posted by RichDiesal

If it disappears, you may have Radiant set not to show curves. Check the View->Show menu and make sure Show Curves is checked.

this didnt work but it did help me do find the problem.

It was because i had show func_groups unchecked!

thanks for your help

I don't hate GTKRadiant... I just think JK2Radiant is better, generally speaking. The only advantage to GTK as I see it is BobzTools, which is an incredibly useful set of tools. To do some of the things you can do in BobzTools manually would take a long long time.

But I'm not sure where you can get it... I don't even have it installed at the moment, but next I need to locate it, I'll let you know. :p

Originally posted by RichDiesal

I don't hate GTKRadiant... I just think JK2Radiant is better, generally speaking. The only advantage to GTK as I see it is BobzTools, which is an incredibly useful set of tools. To do some of the things you can do in BobzTools manually would take a long long time.

But I'm not sure where you can get it... I don't even have it installed at the moment, but next I need to locate it, I'll let you know. :p

I agree, i had a compiling error once with an evil brush somewhere in the map. Good luck finding it. I just ran bobtoolz's brush cleanup and it worked fine again.

You can find GTK radiant here: http://www.qeradiant.com

it seems they just released version 1.2.10 wich supportst SOF2 and has some updates for JK2

i setted me dmg to 1000 and it still doesnt kill my player instantly! :( its like this, i made a func_plat tat travels at speed 1000 and with the correct height. so, i put my trigger_hurt just where the platform will be when its up. the prob is, when the plat goes up, nothin happens. just minus the health by 1 :(

i have two questions about sounds.

first, my some of my ambient sounds are too loud, specifically the fire ones. is there a way to make it softer without actually editing the wav file that came with the game?

also, is there a way to create custom soundsets?

thanks

Ok. IN the past hours I've been continuing to troubleshoot the problem I described above. And I've discovered something REAL odd. Now, JK2 radient doesnt even create the .nav and .bsp files that it used too... Needless to say, I'm getting more irritated by the moment. I've even un-installed and re-installed both the game and the editor, but to no avail.

Rich, , if you have ANY idea of how to get my editor working properly again, or, for that matter, if ANYONE has any idea... PLEASE!!!!! TELL ME! I finally have another good map idea and it was REALLY starting to take shape!

Ok, I have here a Class 1, no kidding, really irking me off problem here. The editor (JK2Radient) is working great, so no complaints there. But here's the issue...

I save my map. I compile it. I check to make sure the .bsp file has, in fact been created (for this example, ffa_dantooine.bsp). I load up the MP side of JK2, and "/devmapall ffa_dantooine.bsp". Result?

"Can't find maps/ffa_dantooine.bsp"

Yes, I checked to be sure it's in the right directory. Yes, I checked all my settings (that I can find) in Radient. So... Um... What in the bloody nine moons is going on here?

Oh, I guess I should mention that in other troubleshooting efforts (same prob) I have also un-installed and re-0installed not just Radient itself, but also JK2. Into thier normal, default directories.

If anyone has an idea on this one, It would be much appriciated, as my work has now come to a screeching halt!

Thanks!

:bdroid2: ffa_dantooine? That does not compute... You're under arrest!

Archived