Home

The RichDiesel University Tutorial Questions Thread.

WhiteShdw

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Uhm rich as I already have told u, it is a background sound....

Which would be a music track.....

And from my point of view: Since I give the path Sounds/blablabla.mp3 AND there is a Sounds/blababla.mp3 it really shouldnt matter if I changed it to music/blablabla.mp3 now would it???

Maybe Im wrong, like the most of the times, but I doesnt make any sense!:confused:

Well, I tried what u told me and got the following error message while trying to start the map:

LoopSiund_Channellnit():

Cannot use streamed MP3 files here for

random access (music/stt)

Im guessing I need a trigger to start all the sounds, but I couldnt get the trigger_once when I looked in the menu :(

Its a MP map......

Thx

:r2d23: meeeep, meeeeep *making sad droid sound*

Well, I'm starting to learn maps from scratch, and this tutorial is helping, but sometimes it makes me feel like the guy is teaching some one who knows how to make maps how to make maps.

It will be confusing unless you learn each lesson in GC101-102 before moving on to the next. You have learn every single concept in every one of those lessons BECAUSE I tend to mention stuff from those two classes quite a bit throughout the rest of the lessons. If you don't have the foundation, don't expect to lay any bricks.

Well, I tried what u told me and got the following error message while trying to start the map:

LoopSiund_Channellnit():

Cannot use streamed MP3 files here for

random access (music/stt)

That will only happen if you're trying to use a looped MP3 on a target_speaker, which you cannot do in MP. You JUST said it was background music and NOT background ambient sound, so you shouldn't need a target_speaker anyway.

Deselect everything and then select a brush. Bring up the entity window and scroll down to worldspawn. Add the key music and the value music/stt.mp3

(I assume that's where you saved it... it can be in sound/ or music/ or even gasdfasdf/, you just hafta reference it correctly in worldspawn)

Should work after that.

When did I say that? If it is a background ambient sound, you do need to use target_speakers. If it is music, you do not.

You do not need to convert music to a wav - it will loop music files triggered in worldspawn automatically. If you want a local ambient sound on a target_speaker, then yes, you would need to convert it to a wav for MP. You also need to note, however, in that case, you cannot have both a looped and global sound. The engine doesn't support those two options together.

Also note that the volume level of whatever you put for your music track is dependant not on the WAV, but instead on the "music volume" they have set in preferences - some people (like me) have music turned off.

Thus again, back to why my original question was important. If you want music (actual music), put it in worldspawn. If you want local ambient sound (like crickets chirping, the sound of rain, etc), it needs to be in a target_speaker.

Yeah, now I know that now Wes, but thx anyways :D

I am actually finished with my first MP Map now :D :D :D

For the moment Im looking over scripting and cutscenes but cant find any really good tut.....so Im waiting for Rich to get started wit the tuts :D

Wes..a question: 1. Do u have msn? If u do can I have your mail??? :D

Ehm guess that was 2....yeah yeah

:r2d23: Meep, Meep *making droid sound*

I've started your tutorial about 2 weeks ago and im already done with the first two parts and now im on the final project of making platforms surrounded by sky.

I have 2 questions about this project.

1. Should I make these platforms/center tower out of brushes or is there something I missed in the tutorial?

2. When I load up my map in single/multiplayer my platforms are totally dark and in your directions it tells me to leave the platforms alone because the sky will light them. I have tried lowering the sky but it hasnt helped, could this have something to do with the fact that I created the brushes before adding the sky? and why wont the platforms light up now?

can you help me out rich?

Hey, Rich.

I have created a forcefield in my MP map that i wanted to turn off and on. I was using a trigger_multiple for this(in a button configuration like in your tuts), that triggers the forcefield to turn off. The forcefield itself is a func_usable.

Now the problem i'm having is that i can turn off the forcefield by just walking up to it and pressing enter. This works only the first time. If i use the trigger_multiple to turn it off and back on and then try to deactivate it by pressing enter in front of the func_usable, it doesn't work.

So i'm not sure what i'm doing wrong. I want the func_usable to only respond to the trigger_multiple and nothing else. Maybe i should add a tag to the entity but i don't know what. I don't have the problem when i try it in SP. Maybe it's a bug in the code, i don't know.

I also put some other func_usables in the map to test and it seems i can just turn them off by walking up to them and pressing enter. So maybe it's supposed to be that way. It's just that i want it to respond to a trigger and not anything else.

Any ideas?

Originally posted by Wes Marrakesh

Ok Rich, I have a question..*duh*..

where can i find the music used in the MP Maps? i have the ones from sp, but not mp...

Well, I'm not Rich, but here we go.

They just use the same music in MP as in Sp. You just have to look for the tracks they used. For example, the duel_temple map by Raven uses the yavfinal_explore.mp3 in the map music/yavin_final.

So have look around and have a listen. Also i think you can open the bsp file in notepad and just use ctlr F to search. If you then type in music you should be able to find the link of the music they used in the map. You won't be able to read the whole .bsp file but some parts are readable.

Whiteshdw...Im not sure what u'r asking......but I'll give it a shot :)

When u create your forcefield you make it to a func_wall right?

Then the trigger should be trigger_multiple and then a button (func_useable) ... The spawnflags on the trigger_multiple should be FACING, PLAYER_ONLY and USE_BUTTON ......

And if u do this it should work.....it worked for me ....

Oh well.....see ya

rich, i have now made a column and a floor. my column is made of 2 brushes and i made both of the columns and the floors into func_breakable so, how do i connect both of the brushes in my column to the floor so tat when they chop off either brush of the column, the floor will colapse.

sorry if its too confusing but i hope tat u guys could really help me out on this. thanx :)

Originally posted by darth_micke

Whiteshdw...Im not sure what u'r asking......but I'll give it a shot :)

When u create your forcefield you make it to a func_wall right?

Then the trigger should be trigger_multiple and then a button (func_useable) ... The spawnflags on the trigger_multiple should be FACING, PLAYER_ONLY and USE_BUTTON ......

And if u do this it should work.....it worked for me ....

Oh well.....see ya

No, i use a func_usable. Func_wall is not available in MP(not with me anyway, maybe i need new entity definition files).

The switch is not the problem, that works fine. The problem is that i can turn off the forcefield even when im not using the switch, just by standing in front of it and pressing enter. Now if i could use func_wall in Mp i probably wouldn't have this problem.

Well, today has been extremely odd. JK2Rad has been acting up on me left and right, to the point that I had to erase and reinstall not just it, but also JK2 itself. That fixed most of my probs, but now a bizzare one has cropped up.

I'm trying to take an in-game look at my latest project (for further info, see the Return of the Turkeyburger Thread) and I ran across what has to be the oddest thing. I get the fullvis build done, enter MP mode in JK2, and try to enter the map via "devmapall".

Ok so far. The problem? "Can't Find maps/turkey.bsp" WTF? When it (radient) gets done building, it creates the bsp and puts it in the maps subdir. So I check, ,and lo and behold, there it be. So, again, WTF? EDIT : Now, the TRULLY odd thing is that when I do it from the SP side, it can find it. It cant load it (No sp spawn) but it can find it.

Comments, suggestions, etc. would be helpful here?

:guard: If the Emporer says "It is your destiny" ONE MORE TIME...

Archived