Home

The RichDiesel University Tutorial Questions Thread.

WhiteShdw

I've had a look and i feel really stupid...sry 4 wasting ur time...i was vcreating the map in SP when i thought i was making one in mp..... so does diseals tut only show u how to make doors with switches in SP?that's the only down side to his tuts.... after he showed us how to switch into mp making, he didn't tell us to switch back to sp..so when i must of accidently mucked up the settings back to SP.. i must of not realised it....

so how do u make doors with switches but 4 multiplayer? thx again..and sry again

BarmyBam

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok fellas, I thought I would make a few statements before the press gets here.

First of all, my current site will not ever be complete. I'm sorry, but it just won't. A large quantity of life slammed me in the face and now that I finally have time to return to it, I'm afraid it just doesn't interest me anymore.

But.

There is a certain new game to be coming out in (I believe) September, also based on the Quake III engine, also based on the Star Wars universe, that perhaps some of you have heard of.

That specific game, assuming that it is as fully editable as Jedi Outcast was, and assuming that it is new and exciting enough (which it looks to be... I mean really... Force Foresight!), miiiight (that's a might, not a will) just cause another tutorial site to rear its head. A newer, bigger, more impressive tutorial site that might just get itself finished.

The only thing to worry about is its level of impressiveness. I was most looking forward to editing for a Star Wars game with true dynamic lighting, but since it is still basically the Q3A engine (and thus only has faked dynamic lighting), I don't know if it will pull me in as much as I thought it would... We will see.

Either way, this is all, of course, rumor. Take it as you will...

Now I must duck out before the paparazzi hop into my trunk.

Sorry Emon, but if you're going to post so arrogantl^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H often claiming to be "intimately familiar with the engine," it would behoove you to avoid making such an ignorant statement as "Jedi Academy has real dynamic lighting." This is a grave misrepresentation of the truth.

"Real dynamic lighting" would mean dynamic--that is, non-static--lightmap generation, which is simply above and beyond the capabilities of the Q3:TA engine. What you mistook for "dynamic lighting" is just a revamped version of the old "fake dynamic lighting," which has been used in every quake game, from Quake itself to JK2:JO. Raven simply lowered the minimum lightmap value required for quake's fake dynamic lighting to operate correctly, so the lightsabers appear to light up areas that are even darker than in previous "fake dynamic lighting" games. You'll notice that "fake" dynamic lighting doesn't cast shadows onto BSP geometry. That's what separates "fake" and "real" dynamic lighting--check out some screens of DoomIII to see what I'm talking about.

Hey, no need to get so snappy. I said dynamic lighting, not dynamic lightmaps, there is a difference. The lightsaber glows, its glow lights up dark areas, it creates light. It can move on a non-predefined path, so it's dynamic. Dynamic lighting. And since everyone has complained about JO's fake saber lighting, I assumed this is what he meant.

Dynamic lightmaps aren't outside of the abilities of the engine, either. Ritual's UberTools build of Q3 supports dynamic lightmaps, and they are supposed to be used somwhere in EFII.

And I am well aware, rgoer, of the volumetric stencil shadows used in Doom III and other games like DX2.

Ahh, I was referring to dynamic lightmaps as being "real dynamic lighting." The dynamic lighting present in JO, as with all Q3A-based games, is more like dynamic lighting that has been pasted by a 4 year old with Elmer's glue on top of a statically lighted world.

I had originally heard that JA would use complete ("real") dynamic lighting, ala Doom III. But that is obviously (now that I've seen screenshots) not the case. I'm not sure just how impressive the game will be, but that will be what I will base my to-tut-or-not-to-tut decision on.

I was not aware that any generation of the Q3A engine was capable of dynamic lightmaps whatsoever. Probably due to my being out of the community for so long. Although I don't remember any dynamic lightning jumping out at me while playing EF2. Althgouh I might have noticed if the game wasn't so nonsensical to being with.

Bah, there I go again.

/rant

Half-Life 2 supports dynamic lightmaps, and it's rumored that it supports radiosity (light bouncing) also dynamically. I have trouble believing the latter part, but dynamic lightmaps are for sure.

I wouldn't go and edit Doom III just yet. UT2K4 also supports dynamic lightmaps and is probably a much better game to edit, as is HL2. HL2 especially with their extremely powerful physics, materials and shader systems.

After reading the answer to many pols difrent questions..i have a feeling that this will not be possible......... but howcan i get a switch to turn on and off lights in mp.....Rich said it was possible and i have followed his tuts and it just doesn't work....it will in sp but not in mp..... plz help (and yes i am using the mp entities)

Where exactly did I say that? :p

Anyway, Emon: I would say that the HL2 engine will probably be much more fun to mess around with than the new UT engine. The Doom III engine did look quite slick on the last alpha I played. But I don't see it being quite as versatile as HL2's. Nor as friendly to the common man.

Where did you hear the radiosity rumor? I suspect that would be more than most consumer-end video cards could handle at reasonable speeds.

Anything purported to be "real time" radiosity can not possibly be anything but a clever hack--however, "how it looks" is all that matters in the CG business, so a clever hack might be just fine. Something akin to quake's fake dynamic lighting, where objects are given "adjuster" rgb values that affect any existing lightmaps could work--essentially turning every triangle of map surface into a low-intensity light source.

Actual radiosity is about the most expensive CG calculation you can make, though, so I doubt we'll be seeing actual "real time" radiosity for quite some time.

ok...say that there is a room witha chair in it...how would i be able to make it so that when someone is on the chair and presses a switch the chair (on a platform) moves down, but once it has reached the bottom, it waits until another button is pressed to send it back up, is it possible?

Edit: I have seen a few ppl talk about using func_door.... would that work? if so, what settings would i need?

Hey all. Quick question. It might have already been covered in this never ending thread but frankly after about 13 pages of sifting through posts I gave up. Using Rich's tut on the FX_runner entity I inserted several flamejets into a map im working on. They work beautifully, however I cannot get them to do damage! Im using the MP defs and have tried the splashDamage line used in the tutorial. I've tried adding a 'dmg' key to the effect, I've tried several different trigger_hurt configurations to no avail. SOMEONE HELP ME!!!

Thanks in advance

Originally posted by BarmyBam

ok...say that there is a room witha chair in it...how would i be able to make it so that when someone is on the chair and presses a switch the chair (on a platform) moves down, but once it has reached the bottom, it waits until another button is pressed to send it back up, is it possible?

Edit: I have seen a few ppl talk about using func_door.... would that work? if so, what settings would i need?

you can only use a door for SP and u would make it wait my checking the toggle button. It cannot be done in mp though. you might be able to do it with scripting but u will have to wait till jka for scripting in MP: /

As for Dave:

Just use some small trigger_hurt entities 9make a brush and then reight-click it and go to trigger hurt. Then place it where the flame is. give it a small dmg value like 1 or 2 ;)

Hope that help:D

EDIT: didn't see the part about having it when the flame turns on... for that go to this thread.

target_give:

Theoretically you place a few items with the same targetname, you place a target_give which has target with the value of the items' common targetname. Then there has to be something that triggers the target give. This can be a trigger_once for example which is targeted to the target_give.

When a player goes into the trigger_once, it will fire the target give and that will give the player the items it is targeted to.

force powers:

You need a script which sets the forcepowers of the player. You can find some information on scripting and even on customizing NPCs which is very similar to customizing the player on Kengo's homepage. It is possible that you will need more info. I don't remember any other scripting tutorial now, but you can check Ravn's scripts. They were distributed with the official editing tools. Or ask for more tutorials here. I'm sure somebody will know more than me.

Heh, I noticed you said Theoretically. ;P

I had an idea of using a target_give involving holocrons to start off the Force powers, but if I remember correctly, not all of the Force powers have a holocron. :nut:

I might paw through Kengo's website and boldy venture into the world of scripting. Thanks for the help , Leslie.

:gben:The Force will be with you, always.

Archived