Home

The RichDiesel University Tutorial Questions Thread.

WhiteShdw

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Eldritch

Those are all really cheap ways to do spiral staircases. The best looking methods involve heavy patchwork.

I must agree but for all the people out there who may not be very good with patch meshes (not me i think i am starting to become quite good with them:D) the one where u take the square brush and cop it up in a lot o' pieces has been the best and easiet for me.

P.S. that one that buba does it the ****z!

~Lil Killa

Never mind. I compleatly restarted the map and now it works. Now the lighting is the main issue. I tried the spotlights in General Concepts 101: Lesson 6, but I just get the same, bland, too bright room. What is wrong? I also can't post pictures, as I just proved.

MK

:rolleyes: well we can't see the pics unless u upload them to a website.

but for the spot light make a light and an info null or not_null and then deselect everything. then select the light and then the null entity and press ctrl-k. then it should work. plus make sure your doing a bsp fullvis

lol man......firstly i like to say thnx 2 u richdiesel guy lol......ur tutorials kix ass an now i no how 2 map HAHA ...lmao

also.......visit pcgamemods.com and d/l a map called Matrix Reloaded .......its made by a friend of mine that is a fantastic mapper.......his map is amazing......an guess wot u taught him 2 map 2 :D .......honestly man go d/l u will b proud of wot u hav made possible......

anyways nuff of tha....

am making a large clan map at the moment and i am making a games section.....one of the games i want to do is kinda a cross between ctf and paintballing....(ill explain)

2 bases.....no forces.....lotsa guns......2 teams.....but:

am havin the followin problems:

1) can i make one room different from the rest of the map....by this i mean a different gametype....

2) once in the room the players participating would need to respwn into that room and not the ordinary spawn point on the other side of the map.....possible?

3)Like the changing of gametype in question 1 is there a way of disabling the force powers in just 1 room so forces can be used on the rest of the map?

kinda long sry :) nice 2 meet u diesel..;)

make the map a tffa (team free for all) in the blue base add a team_ctf_blue player spawn and a red one in the red base. that should work for your 2 teams blasting the hel out of each other.

you can't make two areas of a map have diff game types and rich diesal has retired from the mapping biz so.............

Couple questions...

1.LIGHT SPOTS!!!! My map is completely covered with them and I dont' know how to solve this problem...

2.How do I make a trigger that is usable multiple times?

3.If you've played GriffenClaw's JediCouncil map, you know what I'm talking about... How did he make a door not open until an elevator reaches it's peak?

4. My water still just looks like blue, I can give you a screenie... But it doesn't have the texture I gave it, all it has is balue.

Originally posted by OneWingedAngel

Couple questions...

1.LIGHT SPOTS!!!! My map is completely covered with them and I dont' know how to solve this problem...

2.How do I make a trigger that is usable multiple times?

3.If you've played GriffenClaw's JediCouncil map, you know what I'm talking about... How did he make a door not open until an elevator reaches it's peak?

4. My water still just looks like blue, I can give you a screenie... But it doesn't have the texture I gave it, all it has is balue.

1. For large open areas use fewer lights with bigger light values, and for smaller areas use more lights with a lower light value.

2. Make a brush, cover it in the trigger texture then rightclick it and make it a trigger_multiple.

3. he ussed a target dalay. he had it so when u steped in the elivater or when u pressed the button at the bottom (dunno cause i never played the map:D) he triggered a target delay that had a wait equaling(sp?) the time it took the elivater to get to the top of it's travel so that once the elivater reached the top the door opened.

4. are sure you changed the texture? if so is the whole thing made of caulk_nonsolid and then has the top and bottom covered in the water shader? if non of that works send me a pic over msn.

If u nned any more help angle than just contact me on msn I won't bite:D You might have to wait a day or two cause i'm trying to fix my comp at the moment so plz be patient:D

Originally posted by OneWingedAngel

Check this out... it explains what to do if your liquids are failing compile for seemingly random reasons.

Doesn't really surprise me that it's gone (if it is gone, that is). It hadn't been updated for a reeeeeealy long time.

@rgoer - Interesting stuff, bro. I've never had the water problem you described, but I'll keep that in mind in case I ever do.

Originally posted by RichDiesal

I'm afraid even I don't know what happened to the site. I have, however, contacted my site host (the most gracious Sergio of pcgamemods.com) and had him look into the problem and repair it. The site should now be up again for all of your tutorial needs.

It's back up now. Once again, thanks for the great tut, RichDiesal.

:gben: The Force will be with you, always.

Hi guys, I've just stared the section on making fog, but i don't understand where to stick the caulk (as well as which one, is it the caulk_nonsolid?) do u stick it between the fog and the wall. Then between to brushes of fog, do u stick the nodraw shader?

And also, i can't seem to find system\trigger... i can c it withought radiant, but when i load it through radiant, it can't c it

thx- BarmyBam

Originally posted by BarmyBam

And also, i can't seem to find system\trigger... i can c it withought radiant, but when i load it through radiant, it can't c it

This happens in JK2Radiant. You still can select the brush, press S to bring up the Surface Inspector and enter system/caulk (or textures/system/caulk -- I don't remember which works in JK2Radiant) manually.

thx guys.... but now i have got another question.... i have just completed the section on func_doors and switches etc, and am now building my map.. yet as soon as i stick the trigger for my doors to open with, they don't work.... my left door reads:

angle 360

classname func_door

soundset fast_door

speed 75

targetname t2

team door_2

*right door*

angle 180

classname func_door

soundset fast_door

speed 75

target button01

targetname t2

team door_2

*trigger*

PLAYERONLY

FACING

USE_BUTTON

angle 270

classname trigger_multiple

noise sound/movers/switches/button_01.mp3

spawnflags 7

target t2

wait 3

*on Button*

STARTOFF

classname func_usable

spawnflags 1

targetname button01

*off button*

classname func_usable

targetname button01

when i go over to the switch whch has the large trigger_multiple around it and press use...nothing happens, except 4 after a few presses of use, the switches (on and off) both disappear....

thx in advance, BarmyBam

Edit: Ok, i thought i'd be clever...i completely uninstalled JK2 and all the files that went with radiant.... then i reinstalled them, but now when i clcik on a brush and turn it into a trigger, then ctrl k it to a door, i open up the entity box, and there is no check box with facing or playeronly etc instead i have red_only and blue_only...what have i done wrong...i have also noticed that trigger_once is missing from the list......

First of all: you run into the "Starting GtkRadiant for the first time after install" problem. Go to File \ Project settings, change mapping mode to MP, restart Radiant, change it back to SP, restart Radiant.

Secondly: you give both doors the team key and they have the same targetname. However I'm not sure this is your problem I would be. Use one of the methods but not both at the same time. So either delete the team keys or delete one of the targetnames.

Archived