Home

Debate Forum

superthrawn

I have never study for a test, yet I know more then some of my teachers.

I learned a lot in my calc. class. Desire to learn above all else determines whether or not you learn anything. My class had a total of 4 people including me. If we didn't understand something we asked and spend time on it. the class was taught by a good teacher too.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While you may not study, I still agree with Keyan. You need to learn something for a test, so on some subliminal level you do memorize it. Although, I think that too many kids today are being taught to fit the system of passing the tests, i.e. having short term memory of things, then forgetting them, but still having passable grades.

Oh, and I've never studied either. It seems to be a trend.

That's my big problem with studying for a test. I almost always have the information evaporate as soon as the pressure's off.

Memorization and the subsequent regurgitation of facts doesn't always equate with understanding. You can usually tell the difference between people who have learned something to get through the test, and someone else who truly understands it. I see it all the time... I work at a college.

I find it's better to explain a concept to someone and then place them into a real-world situation where it applies and can be used to solve real problems. That's where you really learn.

Hmmm? Then why teach it?

Everything taught in school must have some real-world analog, otherwise why is it worth learning?

One of the big problems I always had with school while growing up was that many of things thrown at me seemed to have no application in the average American life. I often wondered "When am I ever going to use this?" I still do sometimes. But there have been a few times when I finally got to say, "Ah! NOW I can see why I needed to know that!"

There should always be a way to present information in a way that can apply to situations 'beyond the test', or at least have teachers explain why we are learning something... y'know, WHERE we might need to use this information someday. Even if you may never find yourself in a place where you need that information, at least you'd know what type of situation it applied to, just in case it ever comes up.

I barely studied for my Scientific Baccalaureat (about 2 month ago..) and I managed to obtain it. The only thing that I really studied for was Biology/Geology, Everything was engraved in my memory that day. For the rest I just read the exercises I had done during the year and understood them.

But that's when the "short term memory" problem came in, I had to study for everything the day before the exams were due because otherwise I would have forgotten everything... If I took that Baccalaureat right know, without cheking any notes, I would probably fail it.

The "When am I ever going to use this?" question is asked by everyone, I could wonder when will the time come when I will have to calculate the angle needed so that a rubble projected by a back wheel of my car can hit the lights of a truck located two meters behind me and a meter above ground knowing that the rubble has an initial speed of 50 meters per second, an acceleration of 5 m.s^2 and a masse of 250 grammes. Solved by using Newton's second law, of course... but won't go into details (The numbers were taken randomly so I suggest you don't even waste your time solving the problem...)

This kind of problem might sound useless for some but trust me, it's thanks to these kind of crazy things that we are able to send satellites in space, and this is only one of many other examples.

The reason why they teach us stuff like this is because no one knows for sure what we will be doing in the future, I'd feel pretty bad if I ended up working for NASA and that I've never learnt about satellite mouvement...

Actually, I was thinking more of the "commit the Gettysburg Address to memory" or the "be able to quote certain passages from Shakespeare" type of info when I wrote that and less about math.

Although there are a whole bunch of math fomulas I totally forgot and basically had to re-learn when I got to college... logarithms for instance. Decibels are calculated on a logarithmic scale. If somebody had told me THAT in high school I just might have paid more attention then...

... but then again... :joy:

You can't handle the truth, punk!

Debate over, I win:)

I didn't study for my Math or Spanish IB tests at the end of last year, but I know I'll have to study for my history test, simply because not only do they test you on the stuff you learn in senior year, but also the stuff from junior year. Tis a truly evil system i tell you, but it's history, so me like.

Once again, Thrawn comes up with something weird. I'm not surprised.

To be honest, I've never really liked the school system. First off: Grades. Everyone is working toward this one goal of an A. But yet, what should that A encompass. It's different with every teacher, something that isn't fair to the student. Secondly, that A is the only reward. I've done the 4.0 GPA thing, and I didn't care for it much, so now I just do enough to keep my grade above a B-. Simple enough.

Second: Tests. People study the night before the test, or whatever and learn just enough to get them through. Tests are specifically designed that way; that if you can recite answers by rote, then you can pass. There doesn't seem to be too much concept comprehension at all. A shame.

Third: Competition. I don't really like the idea of a validictorian (sp?). The school forces us to compete against each other, for one spot. My cousin's school simply lists the people who finished High honor roll (summa cum laude) and Honor roll (magna cum laude) that's it. There is no winner, no loser. Just the people who did well.

There's my two cents on the whole deal.

Nice to have you back, Thrawn.

Originally posted by superthrawn

Second: Tests. People study the night before the test, or whatever and learn just enough to get them through. Tests are specifically designed that way; that if you can recite answers by rote, then you can pass. There doesn't seem to be too much concept comprehension at all. A shame.

I agree, hence the need for cumulitive tests(Where the chaper 5 test encompasses chapters 1-5 and so on).

Third: Competition. I don't really like the idea of a validictorian (sp?). The school forces us to compete against each other, for one spot. My cousin's school simply lists the people who finished High honor roll (summa cum laude) and Honor roll (magna cum laude) that's it. There is no winner, no loser. Just the people who did well.

Usually, competition=more effort. But only among those who care.

Come on superthrawn, lighten up, jeez. There was a time on this forum where people were allowed to joke.

As for the IB tests, the don't just test your knowledge of facts and dates and formulas. They are essay tests in which you must analyze, compare, and derive conclusions using the facts that you know to support your arguments or findings. This is probobly how all tests should be, and is most likely one of the reasons why they're putting an essay on the SAT.

Originally posted by superthrawn

The original reason for it was in the spirit of recognizing that person for their effort and good grades, but people turn EVERYTHING into a competition.

:wstupid:

Competition is a human condition. It is not enforced or codemned by schools.

And i agree with Thrawn somewhat..even though having essays based on your findings really don't have a clear cut answer because they are opinionated.

I remember being told by my english teacher: Write an essay on what you believe this poem means. I did so, and backed it up. Gave it to her, and found that my apparently my opinion was wrong, since the poem meant something else. I hate poetry.

Competition is the reason why humans advance.

Originally posted by Admiral

I remember being told by my english teacher: Write an essay on what you believe this poem means. I did so, and backed it up. Gave it to her, and found that my apparently my opinion was wrong, since the poem meant something else. I hate poetry.

Competition is the reason why humans advance.

My history teacher took advantage of the Beatnick nature of his English teacher back in 9th grade. He had to write a poem, and his went:

I was walking through the white forest

When I saw a man on a can.

He chose "White forest" because he was learning black forest on the piano. The man on the can is a guy on a toilet. But not to this beatnick. He interpeted the white forest a a cemetary and the guy on a mourner, assumed someone in his family had died, and gave an A+ to a total BS poem. :D

Archived