Home

ArtifeX's ProMod 1.0 Beta -- Released

ArtifeX

Originally posted by ArtifeX

Thanks for running ProMod, hawk.

Is there a feature list you'd like to see from adminmod? While I won't be doing code-merges with any other mods right now, I am definitely willing to add some functionality to ProMod beta 2 that'll help out admins. Let me know.

Well I'd really like to see the whole thing, but if I must choose.

- Multiple Duels

- A win at a duel gives you 100/25 health/shields

- Don't ignite sabers at start of a duel

- Center Screen MOTD

- Bunny, Slap, Silence, Sleep, Head Explode, rename, mstatus

- IP Logging

I think if you added the above features, servers admins could really run tight ships, and really provide more control and professionlism when it comes to running competition servers and the like. And BTW I'd like to see them done in this order if not all at once. Not having Multiple duels is the thing that sucks the most for us FFA duelers. Again I'd like to see the whole adminmod implemented.

Everything other than I have mentioned you could consider to be outside of bounds and only used on "fun" servers...Like JediMod servers... but anyway, just stick to those 6 things and all should be well. But later a adminmod integration sure would be nice.

One last note, I know you we're primarily a 1.02 man, but the double tap kick. I hated it at first, but now after two patches I'm very used to, and find it very intuitive double tapping for forward kicks. I think someone else said, it kind provides a sort of "ranging" effect to it. I dunno I'll adapt either way, but I tended to like double tap kicks more. I think everyone but the 1.02 guys do too....

*Bugs*

It seems it is possible at times to strike close enough too someone to hit them from behind while standing in front. Very minor bug though, as most of normal times it's hard to get that close to someone without gettting beat on to hell yourself... This is a bug in 1.04, I kinda figured not to see it with this, but at the very least it seems very minimal. Anyone who would try to exploit this would be foolish.

Server crashing has happened to me three times already. Now crashing in and of itself is not too terribly unusual. But it seems since I've started running this mod, it's far more frequent. I have yet to get 10 straight hours of uptime with this mod in place.. No errors in my logfile just a shutdown.... It could be your mod, it might not be. but just FYI.

Lag, again maybe just a me issue, but it seems since I put the mod up the lag is a bit worse... Could just be me. And the only solution seems to be to bump the server up to a maxrate of 10000. This is even with a small player group. My only thought is CSC calculation puts more burden on the connection. I dunno if you don't see more lag happening because of your mod, it was probably just me lastnight.

At any rate I just want to make sure I get any and all issues out with you at this point. :)

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Sabre9
Originally posted by Rad Blackrose

Why bother with red stance. It is safe to assume that the gunner will be backpedaling, and the red stance swings are even slower than the backpedal. Too much of a risk as well on the defensive side. A gun that shoots fast can tear a red user to pieces. Blue or yellow make good gun pursuit styles, I have found.

I was afraid pro-gun people would balk at Blue or Yellow getting one-hit kills, so I thought I'd compromise and say Red, the slowest of the stances. Also, giving it to Red would make the most sense, since its also the strongest.

But yeah, if I had my choice, it would be ANY saber swing vs a gun user would be a one-hit kill, even at 200/100. You able to close with a gun user? You should be rewarded.

Guest Sabre9

63.99.213.122:28070

213.123.120.117:28070

217.39.108.1:28070

24.70.64.147:28070

24.76.89.52:28070

61.214.29.80:1037

61.207.153.157:1031

68.82.94.167:33052

24.162.247.233:28070

24.218.10.161:28071

130.161.36.97:28070

134.114.32.159:28070

195.149.21.44:28082

203.79.89.51:28075

206.169.69.25:28070

209.54.74.216:28070

I've seen about 8 or 9 other crosshairs that are actually already in the official version of the game. They're most likely accessible from the console somehow, but I haven't a clue what the console command is.

I'm also going to add some console commands to control the beginning (weak aim) color and end (strong aim) colors of the CSC, as well as their transparency. That'll allow you to really up (or lower) the visibility of it. That might be all you need.

Yea i know about the other crosshairs, they're all the same colours which makes them all equally useless. But these console commands you speak of sound almost exactly what i was hoping for, thank you very much. :)

Originally posted by KnightHawk420

Well I'd really like to see the whole thing, but if I must choose.

- Multiple Duels

- A win at a duel gives you 100/25 health/shields

- Don't ignite sabers at start of a duel

- Center Screen MOTD

- Bunny, Slap, Silence, Sleep, Head Explode, rename, mstatus

- IP Logging

I think if you added the above features, servers admins could really run tight ships, and really provide more control and professionlism when it comes to running competition servers and the like. And BTW I'd like to see them done in this order if not all at once. Not having Multiple duels is the thing that sucks the most for us FFA duelers. Again I'd like to see the whole adminmod implemented.

Everything other than I have mentioned you could consider to be outside of bounds and only used on "fun" servers...Like JediMod servers... but anyway, just stick to those 6 things and all should be well. But later a adminmod integration sure would be nice.

One last note, I know you we're primarily a 1.02 man, but the double tap kick. I hated it at first, but now after two patches I'm very used to, and find it very intuitive double tapping for forward kicks. I think someone else said, it kind provides a sort of "ranging" effect to it. I dunno I'll adapt either way, but I tended to like double tap kicks more. I think everyone but the 1.02 guys do too....

The extra range you got from the double tap kick was just way too powerful. The kick itself was unblockable, then you add the ability to hit at a greater distance than even the longest saber swing. Sorry, but unblockable long-range melee strikes aren't going to be coming back in ProMod.

*Bugs*

It seems it is possible at times to strike close enough too someone to hit them from behind while standing in front. Very minor bug though, as most of normal times it's hard to get that close to someone without gettting beat on to hell yourself... This is a bug in 1.04, I kinda figured not to see it with this, but at the very least it seems very minimal. Anyone who would try to exploit this would be foolish.

It's just the effects of lag. Sometimes gaps in the update process can do some odd things, like seeming to allow saber strikes to hit outside their range. When the connection is stable, these things rarely happen.

Server crashing has happened to me three times already. Now crashing in and of itself is not too terribly unusual. But it seems since I've started running this mod, it's far more frequent. I have yet to get 10 straight hours of uptime with this mod in place.. No errors in my logfile just a shutdown.... It could be your mod, it might not be. but just FYI.

There's been no other reports of servers crashing while running ProMod. Keep me updated on whether this continues to happen. The fact that it was happening without ProMod leads me to believe that your box doesn't like jk2 for some reason.

Lag, again maybe just a me issue, but it seems since I put the mod up the lag is a bit worse... Could just be me. And the only solution seems to be to bump the server up to a maxrate of 10000. This is even with a small player group. My only thought is CSC calculation puts more burden on the connection. I dunno if you don't see more lag happening because of your mod, it was probably just me lastnight.

At any rate I just want to make sure I get any and all issues out with you at this point. :)

Don't worry, the CSC calculations don't affect the network bandwidth or messaging in the slightest. Both the client calculation and the server calculation are done 100% independent of the other.

Describe the sequence of moves to me and I'll see if I can duplicate it.

Originally posted by DarthCobra

Front jumpkick + heavy dfa doesnt seem to work anymore. Is this something you disabled? Or just something that got broke.

2 more suggestions for the mod after another fun night of play...

1. Red DFA, I know your current stance is that it should be unblockable, but listen to this..

I was trying to think of the realities of a DFA. And it seems to me, that okay fine make it blockable, but it ought to do more when blocked. There's just so much force behind it, that someone certainly couldn't just take the hit without a flinch. I think, that if you DFA someone if they are blocking perfectly, that should cause maybe 5 hp of damage, and a knockdown. like if you we're kicked. Somehow that makes alot of sense to me if it worked like that. At least something so when blocked leaves a huge gap in your defense. Maybe not enough for the attacking DFA er to utilize. but still it should leave a big defensive gap.

2. Lose your saber when you throw. Don't touch anything else about it, except make it so when someone blocks a throw the saber drops to the ground like in single player. and then you lose it for a couple seconds something. I don't think damage tweaking is the answer here. I've thought for a long time now, that if there was more risk involved in the manuever any issues with it, would solve. Your mod makes this all the more possible. So a bad throw lands you, at least 2 seconds with no saber, and wide open for anyone.

Woohoo, great mod! I have just one suggestion/question. Would it be possible to slightly increase saber damage against ppl using guns? For example, a medium style attack does 55 dmg against ppl using sabers and 75 dmg against ppl using guns/unarmed? Imho, this would bring about a bit more balance between guns and sabers for us ppl who still dm. Thanks!

Describe the sequence of moves to me and I'll see if I can duplicate it.

Doesn't get any more simpler then that. I think what he is trying to describe is a front flipkick, starting the heavy swing motion in the air, and rolling the swing into a DFA as soon as he touches ground.

Originally posted by taboo

Woohoo, great mod! I have just one suggestion/question. Would it be possible to slightly increase saber damage against ppl using guns? For example, a medium style attack does 55 dmg against ppl using sabers and 75 dmg against ppl using guns/unarmed? Imho, this would bring about a bit more balance between guns and sabers for us ppl who still dm. Thanks!

In Beta 2, damage to people with guns will be doubled

Is there a feature list you'd like to see from adminmod? While I won't be doing code-merges with any other mods right now, I am definitely willing to add some functionality to ProMod beta 2 that'll help out admins. Let me know.

I'll probably be putting up a ProMod CTF server once I get the 1.5Mbit(up) Upgrade to my server line later this month.

With that in mind, here's some stuff that I'd like to see:

1. Make a server option that makes the "kill" command take a few seconds to execute. While most ppl are honorable about it, Many people use this to deny people ledge-push-kills or grip-kills in CTF games. This would effectively "nerf" the lame factor out, while still allowing for it's intended use (the occasional "2 player spawn-stick" or "I'm stuck in a map bug and can't get out").

2. Add messages to the server messaging system that credits people for:

- Returning the flag a few second before the capture

- Counts an enemy kill within a certain distance from the flag or carrier as a defense, and

- One that gives you the "HOLY ****!" credit for returning the flag within 10ft of the enemy's flagpole.

Adding messages to the logs for these items will allow stats coders to devise scoring schemes more tailored to CTF games (right now almost all of the stats packages are DM-based in terms of score/rank placement). If you need anything on this one, I can put you in touch with Zoid (the original threewave/id programmer for CTF). He's working at a gamecube developer in Austin now. While he won't know JK2 code explicitly, he'd probably have some good pointers for you, if needed.

3. Add a switchable typekill warning that would allow admins to autokick people that kill typers that have been in a messagebox more than "n" seconds. Some serverops would like this, others would probably choose to disable it.

Just my $0.02.

Thanks,

Noctroglyph

(Formerly ^Drag0n^ of the now defunked qwcentral.stomped.com)

That's fantastic news, thanks for lettin' me in on the secret.

Err, one more question. Won't bots be pretty evil while playing this mod seeing as how they always aim straight at you when you are their target? This will make much more likely that their saber attacks break your defences and their defence block your attacks, will it not?

The extra range you got from the double tap kick was just way too powerful. The kick itself was unblockable, then you add the ability to hit at a greater distance than even the longest saber swing. Sorry, but unblockable long-range melee strikes aren't going to be coming back in ProMod.

That is EXACTLY what I was talking about. It ISN'T unblockable. There's absorb. Push. Strafe. Or a strong axe/light lunge as they come at you.

Or you could just plain duck/roll.

I kickduel allot of people and I've found that many of the people that dislike kicking haven't invested significant time in looking at counters (not referring to ArtifeX here, just in general), and, in general, don't use alot of the movement options they have available to them. I'm sure some may disagree, but that is what I've found.

Couple that with the inability to pull-kick when the target is crouching and there are at least 4 different ways to counter a kick. Adding the CSC factor makes the kick even harder to execute, balancing it out.

I guess I fail to see the evils in a move that was allowed in the game originally, featured 3 times in the original films during saberfights, and takes *5* consecutive hits to kill an opponent with. :)

Once again, just my $0.02.

~Noctroglyph~

It ISN'T unblockable. There's absorb. Push. Strafe. Or a strong axe/light lunge as they come at you.

Can't you just make kick blockable? Or is this not possible?

Personally, I am getting tired of kick flipping off small ledges though, due to the one tap jump as it is now.

Also, is there any chance of implementing the mid-jump kick off of walls ability? As in your in the middle of a jump near a wall and being able to kick off of it.

Perhaps a foolish question...

But is there any way to re-write the code so that saber-wielding SP NPC's use the same combat system? Or are we forever doomed to use randomly generated numbers to determine the outcome of my single player saber fights? I enjoy this mod not only for the challenge it presents, but also because it has a greater semblance to the duels from the movies, where each hit didn't knock off a little health, but seriously wounded or killed the opponent. These duels lasted a lot long than most duels in the game (approx. 1 minute).

AND If it is possible, do you plan on converting the code any time soon?

Thank you. :duel:

Hi,

My name is Drepanon. I am one of the people who did not like the Raven patches..... I was busy playing the game and learning to counter moves while others were busy crying and getting patches. oops... Live and learn. I also do not suffer from the herd mentality.

Since 1.02a i have hosted 6 Dedicated 1.02 servers in an attempt to keep the 1.02 commity alive. What i want to say is directed to the 1.02 players out there. Get this Mod!

I personally am going to do everything in my power to support the development of this project. I have already dedicated a FFA and a NF Duel server to the cause. All servers are PIII 1.2GHZ with a 10mb connection.

Players that still frequent my servers will find that they are set up the same exact way as the 1.02 servers I am hosting. I plan to have a CTF~ProMod server up this week. My servers are all Saber ONLY with the exception of the CTF (contains some other weapons).

1.04 Promod Servers:

209.204.71.201:28070

209.204.71.201:28071

ProMod is the answer for 1.02 players that would like to enjoy the stability and enhancments the patches did address while preserving the feel of 1.02.

For me ProMod saved this game from a dark and dusty place on my shelf next to some other patched-to-death games.

Drep

Originally posted by Drepanon

Hi,

My name is Drepanon. I am one of the people who did not like the Raven patches..... I was busy playing the game and learning to counter moves while others were busy crying and getting patches. oops... Live and learn. I also do not suffer from the herd mentality.

Since 1.02a i have hosted 6 Dedicated 1.02 servers in an attempt to keep the 1.02 commity alive. What i want to say is directed to the 1.02 players out there. Get this Mod!

I personally am going to do everything in my power to support the development of this project. I have already dedicated a FFA and a NF Duel server to the cause. All servers are PIII 1.2GHZ with a 10mb connection.

Players that still frequent my servers will find that they are set up the same exact way as the 1.02 servers I am hosting. I plan to have a CTF~ProMod server up this week. My servers are all Saber ONLY with the exception of the CTF (contains some other weapons).

1.04 Promod Servers:

209.204.71.201:28070

209.204.71.201:28071

ProMod is the answer for 1.02 players that would like to enjoy the stability and enhancments the patches did address while preserving the feel of 1.02.

For me ProMod saved this game from a dark and dusty place on my shelf next to some other patched-to-death games.

Drep

Glad to see you join the ProMod movement Drep!

Originally posted by Noctroglyph

1. Make a server option that makes the "kill" command take a few seconds to execute...

This is on my list already, but I'm not sure if it'll make it into Beta 2. I'll try.

2. Add messages to the server messaging system that credits people for:

- Returning the flag a few second before the capture

- Counts an enemy kill within a certain distance from the flag or carrier as a defense, and

- One that gives you the "HOLY ****!" credit for returning the flag within 10ft of the enemy's flagpole.

These are good ideas, and certainly weren't on my list already. I'll have to evaluate how difficult these would be before I can tell you which version they'll be in.

Adding messages to the logs for these items will allow stats coders to devise scoring schemes more tailored to CTF games...

Again, good idea. Not sure when this'll be in, but at some point it will be.

3. Add a switchable typekill warning that would allow admins to autokick people that kill typers that have been in a messagebox more than "n" seconds.

hmm. this'd be pretty controvercial, and would have to be implemented with great care. Don't expect this in beta 2, but maybe in a later version.

When I say unblockable, i mean that when someone connects with this, there is no defense against it. Avoidance and dodging are always a viable defense, but don't constitute making something "blockable". The range of the double tap kick is still just ludicrous. No kick should have longer range than than the saber does.

Originally posted by Noctroglyph

That is EXACTLY what I was talking about. It ISN'T unblockable. There's absorb. Push. Strafe. Or a strong axe/light lunge as they come at you...

I wouldn't consider doing this unless I had a decent looking kick-deflection animation. It is possible to make it blockable, though. Look pretty silly if you blocked somebody's foot with your saber. :)

Originally posted by blackfire

Can't you just make kick blockable? Or is this not possible?

Personally, I am getting tired of kick flipping off small ledges though, due to the one tap jump as it is now.

Also, is there any chance of implementing the mid-jump kick off of walls ability? As in your in the middle of a jump near a wall and being able to kick off of it.

I'd love to port ProMod to the single player game, but Raven's never released the code. The multiplayer bots use the CSC system very well with their inhumanly accurate aim currently. At some point, if I get enough requests, I may rewrite the bot ai to scale their aiming ability based on their difficulty setting to better serve as practice opponents. Just have to wait for single player though.

Originally posted by Stan_Tencza

Perhaps a foolish question...

But is there any way to re-write the code so that saber-wielding SP NPC's use the same combat system? Or are we forever doomed to use randomly generated numbers to determine the outcome of my single player saber fights? I enjoy this mod not only for the challenge it presents, but also because it has a greater semblance to the duels from the movies, where each hit didn't knock off a little health, but seriously wounded or killed the opponent. These duels lasted a lot long than most duels in the game (approx. 1 minute).

AND If it is possible, do you plan on converting the code any time soon?

Thank you. :duel:

Well, let me be the first to request that you rewrite the bot ai to scale their aiming ability based on their difficulty setting. I love playing ze bots with your mod but it's pretty damn hard with their ungodly aim. Once again, thanks for the excellent mod ..... best thing since sliced bread i say! :)

Archived