Home

ArtifeX's ProMod 1.0 Beta -- Released

ArtifeX

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

now think about it this way, if saber throw can be pushed away and the saber goes flying across the room, do yo uthink people will still use it? Let's say you're runnign towards me, try to saber throw, I quickly push it away, you are without a saber, infront of me, and I am ready to rip you apart. lol It still has it's 'damage' but much more difficult to connect, and if it is deflected, you are held at agreat disadvantage. this would make the throw good.

I would only do Double sabers and double-ended sabers if I felt like I could make them as good as the single sabers of the original game. That would require a ton of new animations and no small amount of added code, either. It's something I'd like to do, but this is going to be far down the road, as balancing the current styles has to take precedence over adding new ones.

On saber throw:

I'm thinking about several different scenarios for balancing saber throw. As it is, there is very little risk versus the damage you can deal out. I'll reconcile that somehow. I don't think that nerfing the damage is the answer, though.

I got an idea, What avout increased saber damage while the saber is currently being thrown (when your hand is sticking out waiting for it to come back), That could make it more risky to use, And maybe a scale for the amount of force you invest in it, right now it's 30 every time right?

i know my reply is a little late, mainly because zerowingzero just told me about all the complaints about JHQ....

i would like to say a couple things:

i read some posts about people complaining that JHQ members use guns....i don't remember artifex ever saying anywhere that this mod didn't change anything to guns, and actually guns are harder to use because saber kills you in close quarters easily, you have less defense and take more damage, or so it seems

can somebody tell me some names of the JHQ members who are causing the trouble (chat killing etc), and tell me what they are doing...as i know of a few trouble causers but not too many...you can look at the members list and see if you recognize any names of trouble makers here

http://jkhq.ath.cx/members.php

also feel free to look at our rules page to see that we don't support chat killing or killing those with sabers off... i'm looking into it right now to see who is doing this and they will be punished

I was in the server when JHQ was causing trouble. For the weapons, it wasn't that they were just using weapons, they would rocket people even through thy KNOW the people were getting ready to duel, or they had their saber not out waiting in line, or when people were testing the new saber accuracy thing.

Also chat killing, and pretending they want to duel by standing in front of you without a saber, and when you challenge them, they immediatly would blue lunge you and kill you when you put your saber away too)

I don't remember the names, but I do want to say that the Inty member seems very kind...but the others were plain jerks.

the stink is pretty much over. All issues are pretty much resolved as well.

I am sure that Dest would be glad if you add the CSC into jedimod source. I won't cause any problems, that's for certain :)

You would have to make a cvar though, because CSC with 2 sabers/dual saber won't work as designed though

I had trouble with these two today(there were others, just don't remember their name)

[JHQ]Ayanami

Typekilled me a couple times and was lunging or DFAing me immediately(as in I didn't even see it coming) after I won a duel with people. He wasn't a jerk entirely though, unlike this one:

[JHQ]EatMoreChicken

This guy was just a plain A**HOLE, he did the above offences and was killing me and choking me while I was waiting to duel on the pad with my saber off. As a matter of fact, this all happened on the pad today.

Im a bit confused as to how blocking worked in each of the patches and how it works in ProMod. As I understand it, the game autoblocks when you don't swing the saber. I don't know if it blocks EVERY attack (DFA, etc), but that's how you block.

In 1.02, did the sabers clip through each other when both players swung? -I don't remember. I don't like that idea. -not very realistic.

In 1.03, they bumped up the autoblocking right? I like that b/c you had these really cool swing fests that were like the movies. Now I realize that's not the best thing for competitive online players, and doesn't really reflect much skill. It just felt really cool to do that. Then there was the Ghoul2 detection. -I loved that. Again I think it was more autoblocking right?

Did they always have poly-to-poly collision detection for the sabers? I think that's what made the Ghoul2 settings so cool. If you took a swing, and your oppenent took a swing, and the sabers crossed each others' paths, they collided, and depending on the stance of each player, a block, deflection, or parry ensued. Is that right? I think this is what brought about all that complaining about not needing skill to play anymore. I still think it was more realistic. What is a sword fight if not to try your best to strike your oppenent, while also trying to keep from being struck. If my oppenent swings at me. I would intuitively swing back, to block the strike. I liked how your oppenent would meet your strikes with block after block, no matter what direction you swung from, until you hit that opening and bam! you score a hit. I thought that's what made 1.03, G2, and 1.04 so good.

Now there's pro mod, where blocking is absolutely garaunteed, provided you are facing your enemy correctly, i.e. your CSC is small and red, right? Well that sounds cool too. It's like having an intuitive "block button" installed. Would I be correct in saying that in order to block, you essentially have to NOT swing, and be facing your oppenent correctly? If that's the case what happens when both players swing at the same time? Do the sabers clip through each other to score a hit, or do they collide and react according to chosen stance, and CSC score?

-That's my big question I guess.

I guess what I don't understand is, that you have "official blocks" that you make when you don't swing and just sort of face the enemy. Then there's the "unintentional blocks" that occur to whatever degree when both sabers are swung and meet each other. -how did that work in each of the patches, had how does it work with Promod? Also what is your opinion on each of those ideas. Is there a fight between cinematic feel, and good competitive gameplay?

I apologize for the length and sort of strange structure of this post. I just could never understand fully how the game handles blocking.

If anyone could shed some light on this, it would be immensly appreciated.

I'm a bit confused as to how blocking worked in each of the patches and how it works in ProMod. As I understand it, the game autoblocks when you don't swing the saber. I don't know if it blocks EVERY attack (DFA, etc), but that's how you block.

In 1.02, did the sabers clip through each other when both players swung? -I don't remember. I don't like that idea. -not very realistic.

In 1.03, they bumped up the autoblocking right? I like that b/c you had these really cool swing fests that were like the movies. Now I realize that's not the best thing for competitive online players, and doesn't really reflect much skill. It just felt really cool to do that. Then there was the Ghoul2 detection. -I loved that. Again I think it was more autoblocking right?

Did they always have poly-to-poly collision detection for the sabers? I think that's what made the Ghoul2 settings so cool. If you took a swing, and your oppenent took a swing, and the sabers crossed each others' paths, they collided, and depending on the stance of each player, a block, deflection, or parry ensued. Is that right? I think this is what brought about all that complaining about not needing skill to play anymore. I still think it was more realistic. What is a sword fight if not to try your best to strike your oppenent, while also trying to keep from being struck. If my oppenent swings at me. I would intuitively swing back, to block the strike. I liked how your oppenent would meet your strikes with block after block, no matter what direction you swung from, until you hit that opening and bam! you score a hit. I thought that's what made 1.03, G2, and 1.04 so good.

Now there's pro mod, where blocking is absolutely garaunteed, provided you are facing your enemy correctly, i.e. your CSC is small and red, right? Well that sounds cool too. It's like having an intuitive "block button" installed. Would I be correct in saying that in order to block, you essentially have to NOT swing, and be facing your oppenent correctly? If that's the case what happens when both players swing at the same time? Do the sabers clip through each other to score a hit, or do they collide and react according to chosen stance, and CSC score?

-That's my big question I guess.

I guess what I don't understand is, that you have "official blocks" that you make when you don't swing and just sort of face the enemy. Then there's the "unintentional blocks" that occur to whatever degree when both sabers are swung and meet each other. -how did that work in each of the patches, had how does it work with Promod? Also what is your opinion on each of those ideas. Is there a fight between cinematic feel, and good competitive gameplay?

I apologize for the length and sort of strange structure of this post. I just could never understand fully how the game handles blocking.

If anyone could shed some light on this, it would be immensly appreciated.

Guest Sabre9

63.99.213.122:28070

130.161.36.97:28070

62.20.195.154:28070

209.54.74.216:28070

134.114.32.159:28070

24.218.10.161:28071

80.0.0.44:28070

All 1.04.....

Also what is your opinion on each of those ideas. Is there a fight between cinematic feel, and good competitive gameplay?

IMO, I don't think there is. I believe it's entirely possible to have a cinematic feel AND good competitive gameplay based on skill, speed, and strategy.

Now, you'll notice that most of the more vocal posters here believe that autoblocking goes against the good competitive gameplay, but I don't believe that.

I've come up with a design doc for a Mod that includes a form of auto-blocking that will (in time with a good dose of balance testing) give the player a chance to recreate famous battles from the movies with a system designed to replicate the unique

"rules" of saber combat. But, I don't want to hijack ArtifeX's thread any longer so I'll direct you to my lightsaber combat theory thread and the Masters of the Force Thread.

eatmorechicken and ayanami were both recently recruited so i will talk to both of them and killereasterbunny too

eatmorechicken is only a padawan learner accepted two days ago

ayanami was accepted about a week ago, and i will talk to her too

i will talk to them all and try to fix the problem, if not, they won't be holding the [JHQ] tag anymore

I tried testing the blocking system against a bot. Blue and yellow works fine, but with red you don't really block even when the crosshair is perfectly small and red... is this intentional? Will making one tactic against red style possible... the headless chicken style... just flail at red style users until they die or until no one uses red style.

I'd like to somewhat second Deadeye's post (even thought he kinda already did that with the double post :) )

Can you only hope to block by not swinging and having a red CSC or is it possible for me to block by swinging and connecting with my opponant's swung saber while having a red CSC?

Just my 2cents about Gunners and Force Powers.

Would creating 2 Class's a Jedi, which can use Sabers and Force, or a gunner class which can use guns but no saber and force. Would that balance out some issues with some of the FFA games? Obviously this option should be able to be turned off.

But anyway.

Mod Sounds Great, Excelllent work!

Originally posted by KayTannee

Just my 2cents about Gunners and Force Powers.

Would creating 2 Class's a Jedi, which can use Sabers and Force, or a gunner class which can use guns but no saber and force. Would that balance out some issues with some of the FFA games? Obviously this option should be able to be turned off.

But anyway.

Mod Sounds Great, Excelllent work!

you don't even need a mod for that....there is a command for it (i don't know it though)

look around for servers that say jedi vrs merc or anything like that

the icon beside the name is a picture of a gun and a saber with the letters vrs

its quite fun playing jedi vrs merc

choose jedi:

force powers, lightsaber...no healing packs or bacta...shields can be picked up

choose mercenary

guns, stun baton, healing packs, bacta, and shields all available but no force powers which makes you easy to push off a ledge or saber throw, etc

still great fun though;)

hmm needs some tweaking ,i stood there and look at another dead on full health and two yellow strike from him killed me.

now it should have blocked it but it didnt.plus the hit box looks screwy i get hit when a saber clearly dosnt even come close to me.it cant be lagg i get low pings on beta server.

Archived