Home

Mmmmovies

Alien426

Suicide Kings

A mix of Pulp Fiction and Bound.

Includes very experienced actors: Christopher Walken above all! Brilliant.

Denis Leary, Jay Mohr (Peter Dragon in TV series "Action" - like it), Johnny Galecki (David Healy in TV series "Roseanne"), Henry Thomas (Elliott in "E.T."), Sean Patrick Flanery (Indy in TV series "Adventures Of Young Indiana Jones"), Jeremy Sisto ("Clueless" the movie)

Savior

Anti-war drama with Dennis Quaid

Tells the story of a man who suffers the loss of his wife and child and enrolls in the Foreign Legion. He fights in the Kosovo and we are shown how cruel war is on all sides, be it Serbs, Muslim...

Bound?

I recently saw the Trois Coleurs series of French movies by some Polish guy whose name I can't begin to spell out (it has, like, 5 silent Z's... what the hell?). Anyway, they are called Bleu, Blanc, and Rouge. They are quite good and worth seeing if you don't mind watching friends movies. The thrid was definitely the best, but you won't like it as much if you haven't seen the other two, though they do not depend on each other. Fantastic cinematography. Almost every single frame with have the title color in it (though I noted that Rouge had a hell of a lot of green as well). Juliette Binoche is cool.

And, of course, you all still need to see Amélie. And, while you're at it, see Delicatessen and The City of Lost Children. Jean-Pierre Jeunet is a master.

Originally posted by Doubleplus GC

I recently saw the Trois Coleurs series of French movies by some Polish guy whose name I can't begin to spell out (it has, like, 5 silent Z's... what the hell?).

That's Krzysztof Kieslowski.

And, of course, you all still need to see Amélie. And, while you're at it, see Delicatessen and The City of Lost Children. Jean-Pierre Jeunet is a master.

I love Amelie. Saw it in theaters for three or four times. Haven't had the time to pick up the DVD yet, though.

Metropolis (the anime, not the 1920's silent flick) is very good and visually stunning. Possibly the the best-looking anime I've ever seen, and I've seen Akira. It also makes a hell of a lot more sense than Akira. UHF is damn funny, but it's all brainless entertainment.

Swordy, iff'n you like Amelie and haven't seen the other two Jeunet films, see them, definitely. Lost Children was one of my all-time favorite movies until Amelie showed it up.

I was thinking of picking up Les Enfant du Paradis, but it turns out we'll be watching it in my Film History class (oh, yeah, FYI, college has started). So, yay, saved a buck and a half in rental prices and I get to see it on a big projector.

Insomnia wasn't bad, but after Memento and Following, it was a big disappointment. Nothing special, interesting but on the shallow side of great.

Originally posted by Doubleplus GC

Insomnia wasn't bad, but after Memento and Following, it was a big disappointment. Nothing special, interesting but on the shallow side of great.

I didn't like Momento. Sure, it was original, but by no means does Original mean Good all the time, and everyone has an opinion. It just wasn't satisfying, nor interesting.

I recently saw 'Man on the Moon', which was pretty good actually.

• 3 weeks later...

I dunno, can Michael Caine (Kane? Cane? Feckin' Walking Stick?) really compare for me sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for Britney Spears and the Destiny's Child chick to show up?

Maybe he can...

I need to see Krzysztof Kieslowski's Decalogue, it looks very intriguing.

Well, you no likum Memento, too bad, we disagree, no bad blood. The ingenuity of it isn't what I loved, though it was impressively so, but I just thought the story and set up were very very good. It's a matter of taste, I guess.

But, screw diplomacy, and scroo yoo!!!

I'm pretty apalled in my discovery that Joss Whedon wrote both Waterworld and Alien Resurrection. What horrid movies those were.

If you had bothered to read a genuinely wonderful interview with The Joss I had linked to many a month ago (on the new-old-old-new-new forum; we're still waiting for those old threads, by the way) you could have read what he had to say in his defence.

Anyway, point (1) I wish to set out is that Whedon is a "script doctor" or something of that sort, meaning studios give him a script and he fixes a lot of the dialogue, puts in better jokes, etc. This goes largely uncredited.

I'm not sure about Waterworld, but it's been established that he worked on Speed, for example, and X-Men (-"It's Me." -"Prove it." -"You're a dick.")

Not sure if he actually wrote-wrote Waterworld or just helped out on it - in any case, (and this is point (2) of my making of) if he did I'm sure he'd say the same thing he said about Alien: Resurrection, which was along the lines of "yeah, I wrote a mediocre script, but then they really screwed everything up".

I think he said the same thing about the Buffy movie, incidentally.

So anyway, if you don't like Alien: Resurrection it's your stupid French guy's fault.

And again with the reiterating - I really liked that movie.

Parting with whatever film knowledge I have,

Yours truly.

Who knew writing "onion joss whedon" in a Google search bar could produce such brilliant results?

The Link!

For several years, he was a film writer and a script doctor, doing uncredited touch-ups on Twister, Speed, and Waterworld, and writing drafts of projects such as X-Men, Toy Story, Titan A.E., Disney's Atlantis, and Alien: Resurrection.

So there you have it.

Another gem:

The Onion: Speaking of sex and reality, the Tara-and-Willow relationship has been controversial from several angles, with one side of the spectrum accusing you of promoting a homosexual agenda while the other side accuses you of exploiting lesbian chic.

Joss: You just have to ignore that. I actually went online and said, "I realize that this has shocked a lot of people, and I've made a mistake by trying to shove this lifestyle—which is embraced by, maybe, at most, 10 percent of Americans—down people's throats. So I'm going to take it back, and from now on, Willow will no longer be a Jew." And somebody was actually like, [adopts agitated whine] "What do you mean she's not going to be a Jew anymore?" I was like, "Can we get a 'sarcasm' font?"

Reading this interview again, I am reminded that his shows are really something above regular television.

This is a take on the subject I can believe, as studios demanding screenwriters to rewrite a script in a way that the mass mindless drones that make up audiences will like (incidentally, I have never met a mass mindless audience in my life, and maybe two people that liked Waterworld), as studio's fucking around with scripts is what ruined Alien 3 (though, actually, I kinda liked Alien 3, though it's director {David Fincher} hates its motherloving guts, and I can admittedly see why). Wow, what a sentence. Anyway, I still think Alien: Resurrection was a load of dooky and symbolic of all that is wrong with modern American cinema, but that's just my indie/foreign film junkie opinion.

Verdicts:

Bound - began with a very trashy and pathetic girl-on-girl-seduction beginning that was only marginally better late night ShoTime "erotic thrillers." But once the actual plot kicked off I found its twists and turns to be pretty enjoyable. Some dialogue needed smoothing out and while many camera effects were cool, many others were really goofy (and I still can't tell if that neato little phone-line shot was cool or really dumb). The Wachowskis' style works great for a cyberpunky movie like The Matrix, but not so well for crime capers. Still, I'd give it about a B+.

Suicide Kings - Pretty cool. Very funny. Didn't like the ending, but that's totally a personal opinion. It made me sad.

Alien, you're the guy who's so big on Reservoir Dogs, right? And you dig Bound and Pulp Fiction and Suicide Kings? And you didn't like Fight Club?

I think I'm starting to figure out your taste in movies. Tell me, are you a De Palma fan?

I haven't (yet) seen Reservoir Dogs, you're right on the next three movies, but I did like Fight Club!

As for De Palma, I liked The Untouchables. Casualties Of War was disturbing. I have seen both movies only one time... long ago. So I'd pretty much say 'No, I'm not a De Palma fan'.

I still count Alien³ as one of the good ones. Alien Resurrection has some good scenes, but I could rant about its faults endlessly. I have to be in a generous mood to enjoy it. Next I'd like a Aliens vs Predator movie, please. Without Ripley.

Ah. See, I just remembered that Tarantino was a major De Palma fan, and since you seem to dig the kind of "witty/darkly comic/very violent/kinda sexy crime thriller" genre I thought you might feel the same.

Anyhoo, I have rented Jackie Brown and will watch it eventually. Never seen Pam Grier act before, never liked her stand-up. I'll evaluate later.

From Hell was not as good as most people told me it was. Always nice seeing Depp in his element (some cool drug addict or other) and it was itneresting seeing Heather Graham play against type (though they never play her unhot, not that I'm complaining).

All in all, fuh.

Heather Graham. That's the chick from the Lost In Space movie and Austin Powers 2, right?

She sucks. Can she play a role without that constant grin on her face? A very bad actress. It always seems she's about to burst out "Oooh, I'm in a movie!"

Jackie Brown is good. I guess I'll have to buy the DVD some time to really get the plot into this tiny, slow brain. Twists and turns - that's what Jackie Brown is.

• 2 weeks later...

As a correction, it turns out I have never seen Pam Grier's stand-up. She looks kinda like this other chick who does stand-up. That chick sucks.

Heather Graham has never impressed me, and From Hell is the first movie I've seen her do where she actually seemed to be doing a decent job, but my stance is that she is lighteyears beyond Gwyneth Paltrow and has a similar build and look. I don't see why people bother with Paltrow. I don't know what the Academy is thinking.

Jackie Brow, by the way, was pretty tight.

• 3 weeks later...

For my Screenwriting class I am instructed to watch one movie twice over the weekend, taking notes (to identify protagonist, antagonist, the wise man, the midpoint and the crisis and the climax and paradigm the whole thing... the usual). I think I'll rent Dangerous Lives of Altar Boys if Movie Magic has it. Any recommendations from the Peanut Gallery in case they don't?

Perhaps something by Kzrzyzsztzozf Kzizezszlzozwzszkzi?

• 2 months later...

Dead Man

William Blake (Johnny Depp) is an accountant in this western. He's getting shot and slowly dies from the wound. Because he shot his murderer in self-defense he is being chased by bounty hunters - Cole Wilson (Lance Henriksen) among them - and the law. Nobody helps him.

This movie was written and directed by Jim Jarmusch, who also made Ghost Dog. You may already know that I like this one very much and if you happen to have seen it, expect something equally good.

One thing I have to criticize is Dead Man's music. It was made by Neil Young and while the main theme is really nice, relying solely on guitar for music and repeating much of it doesn't do any good.

Now, this movie made me think a little. The main character knowing he's gonna die soon is still doing pretty well. Better in fact than you would have expected from the paper tiger. It may seem a bit cold-hearted, but if you have a terminal illness, I think you can see the world differently. All the other people may fear death more than you, because they don't know when it's gonna come. You mustn't give a damn about healthy food, being careful with your body, putting money aside for later etc. It's got to be liberating. All the planning ahead is not done in years or months, rather days or hours, maybe not at all. Just taking in the world, not minding the bad sides... because the ultimate bad thing is coming to you soon.

I also got to thinking deeply after I saw a few movies.

I mean, how come everyone says Harry Potter 2 was better than Harry Potter 1 when it's obviously the other way around?

I still have issues with Ghost Dog, by the way. It never really clicked for me. Yeah, very impressive, the dude can kill four fat Italian gangsters.

• 4 weeks later...

I saw Adaptation yesterday, and while there's this lingering feeling that I might have hated it I'm pretty sure I thought it was a masterpiece.

My sister hated it and my mom has no clue what to make of it. Neither do I, so your opinion of it is really little more than a gut reaction. But, yes, there's the possibility that it is truly brilliant.

But I keep thinking that maybe fans of this movie would really love Mullholland Drive, and I will not even talk about how much I hate that movie.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived