Home

Too many skins?

Skyliner

Yes, I have always wanted to know this myself. I clean out my base dir quite often, getting rid of maps and skins I don't use all the time. I just create a new folder in gamedata dir and put 'em in there till I want them.

But I would like to know the limit. Been curious about that for some time.

Peace

Let it be known, they are many, many skins out there that are completely crap.... *Think* before downloading any skins or models, if they aren't any good, do you really think the servers would want to use them? Would you use a bad skin more than once?

Have high standards for those skins, maps and models you choose to download, cruel experience has taught me this...

And even if you have very high standards, chances are that some (read: most) or the skins/models you download aren't being used anyway - neither by you (except for a quick testrun of it) or the servers..... If the servers don't support a skin, what's the point in having it?

cjais wrote:

"(read: most) or the skins/models you download aren't being used anyway - neither by you (except for a quick testrun of it) or the servers..... If the servers don't support a skin, what's the point in having it?"

This is something I have been wondering about. How do you tell if a skin is a good one and/or supported by more servers? There are seemingly millions of skins available. Thanks.

You can't really tell if a server is using a particular skin unless you visit the server. I don't know of any place that tells you what each server has on their skin or model list. I may be wrong too :D

And as for the skin being good, look at it. Is it done well? Are there any blurry edges, bad color, facial things. I want a skin/model that has cool looks and I think a server would want to put on his/her server. Something unique, not just a "jedi trainer" in diff clothes:rolleyes:

My 2 cents

Peace

Originally posted by livingsacrifice

You can't really tell if a server is using a particular skin unless you visit the server. I don't know of any place that tells you what each server has on their skin or model list. I may be wrong too :D

And as for the skin being good, look at it. Is it done well? Are there any blurry edges, bad color, facial things. I want a skin/model that has cool looks and I think a server would want to put on his/her server. Something unique, not just a "jedi trainer" in diff clothes:rolleyes:

Peace

Thanks LS. That's pretty much what I figured, but thought I'd ask anyway. I found a Han Solo that looks pretty cool (has the slouched posture and everything). I haven't had a chance to download and try it out yet, though.

I hate custom skins that don't have custom sounds. The taunt is one of the things that I like about the different characters. If there aren't custom sounds, I usually delete the skin.

Remember, if you aren't seeing the one's you've downloaded, it's a good bet that the server you're playing on does not support it. There is no good way of telling, but the comments in previous posts are good guidelines.

I'm one of those that only downloads the skins so I don't see a bunch of default/kyles running around. But I *do* have a ton of worthless skins.... guess I delete some (the Kiss Army is outta here first!).

Maybe if servers posted a skins list more often or put a URL in there info that can be accessed, then we can make sure we have the right ones. There are definately TOO many skins out there!

I agree with L__S, stick to the quality skins. I also agree with Floydian: if the taunt is a reborn laugh, it had better be a good one.

Skins I wish more people would use: Yhuzan Vhong, Wonder Woman, and Lando (Whooohooo!).

Skins I wish less people would use: reborn (any), that-dude-with-the-ponytail, tavion, and yoda. (yes... yoda is getting over used, though I *do* like to use him in Jedi vs Merc as a merc. You can run across walkways in Bespin Streets without being seen from below and drop explosives <evil Grin>).

I've been thinking of making a skin of an American Indian in warpaint with a taunt of "It is a good day to die!" Would anyone use it... or at least d/l it so they could see me in my loincloth?:cool:

SkinWalker

apparently there is an upper limit of 128 models including hilts. And as far as I know there is no way to circumvent this. sorry.

If you are running jediMod with the hilt pack then that will eat up your model allowance.

My advice would be to delete the ones that you can live without or rarely get used.

Arrr I hardly use the custom skins I download, cause I'm afraid most people would see me as plain Kyle.

Usually my primary reason for downloading something is to view someone else as that person. But the only ones I see are Vaders, Mauls, and the occasional Jar Jar.

That's why I stick to the good ol' hidden models (Reborn and Jedi variants). Majority of new players don't know about them or can't access them and they go down on their knees in awe of my l33t appearance!!!

Originally posted by Psionic Jedi

Majority of new players don't know about them or can't access them and they go down on their knees in awe of my l33t appearance!!!

LMFAO!!! l33t, very 1337 indeed!

As a matter of fact(!), I happen to not be impressed by the silly reborn variants that every l33t mofo in town uses nowadays.....

PICK SOMETHING OTHER THAN REBORN FFS!!! ANYTHING!!! EVEN THAT ACCURSED STORMTROOPER!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!

j/k :D

Archived