Home

MI5 your opinion

jokemaster

Originally posted by jokemaster

but you have to revisit Monkey Island at least

Why? Monkey Island is a pretty dull island, actually. Well, it was fun and exciting the first time around, but in EMI it was boring. I felt very lonely, and couldn't wait to leave, or escape, as it were....(duh...)..

In MI2 you're not even on Monkey, and apart from visiting the carnival you're not really there in CMI neither. As long as they don't name the game Return to MI or something like that, they can just skip the whole island for all I care. The game should be called Monkey Island: *something*, like #2.

That's my point: The old stuff in EMI was changed and craply redesigned. God knows that Monkey Island *AWFUL* in EMI but that's the designers fault, not the fact that is was the same island (it didn't even RESEMBLE Monkey Island really, so what are you complaining about?).

Also: Anyone else wish that they'd gone with the more realistic artwork in CMI? That interview was great but to hear that he originally had realistic (Steve Purcell style) backgrounds planned was REALLY interesting. I wish we could have seen more!

~ John

I'd have to say that I like the puzzles the best in the Monkey Island series. Followed by the humor. They've done an excellent job on keeping the game in perfect balance like that. I still think that MI 1 and 2 are the best. For me 3 and 4 were basically a tie. I haven't liked the way the series has been changing so much into present day state (i.e. MI4 with Planet Guybrush and all.) Don't get me wrong it was pretty cool, but still. I loved the sword fighting in MI 1 the best. In MI 3 it was okay, but it wasn't the same. Basically for this next Monkey Island game I would like to have it set back more like how it was in the first two, and even three. Have the setting more pirate like..... Though that pink ship was hilarious, I couldn't stop laughing. Man that was great.... But whatever Lucasarts decides to do I'm sure that it'll be good.

I'm hoping for alot of the same old stuff as well as some stuff that's totally innovative. ..I just dont know what :)

I'll bet it will be 3d like MI4 and Grim Fandango.. The new Full Throttle appears to be 3d and I'm guessing that's the way LA is doing their graphic adventures now. I personally dont mind, but may I ask why people seem to dislike the LUA engline so much? Granted the SCUMM one rocks the house, but I like them both :).

I'll bet the new Sam & Max is 3d too.

To call EMI a poor game is justifiable, in comparison to Mr Threepwoods previous outings.

To blame this on EMI being 3D is outrageous.

Grim Fandango is the best adventure game I've played, and that's in 3D, so why not embrace the change instead of being awkward about it?

Sure, some of the greatest games ever were in 2 dimensions, but that was then.

My point is: Stop whining.

Cheers, There wasn't nearly as much complaining when MI3 came out and everything had cartoon-ified, was there? I like the 3d look just as much as the 2d :)

Chances are slim that they'll have a good ol' 2d version ever again, especially one where each pixel is 2x2 like in the DOS games we know and love... but wouldnt that rule?:p

Everyone's expecting the next game to be called Monkey Island 5. They should surprise everyone by calling it something else, just continuing the story of Guybrush Threepwood. That would be quite cool, a bit like Riven to Myst. I think.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi you guys,

I'm new and all, but I have played all MI's!!

I started with MI2, then played 1 (weird ey).

I loved them so much, really. After finishing MI1, I replayed MI2, for the humor I didn't understand earlier. I thought 2 was better.

I also liked Monkey Island 3a lot as well, but 4 was a bit of a disappointment. His robotic movements and all. I missed the pirates laughing at him, I missed the ambience.

3d works for Grim Fandango, but it just isn't MI! Serious.

What I liked about MI-2 so much:

Guybrush looks kind of regular and has his cool pirate outfit, but people still make fun of him, and never take him serious, how hard he tries. I think that is hilarious!!!

In Monkey Island 3 he also looked like a dork, I thought that was a shame. Being so damn tall and blonde and all... I didn't like it. Give him is cool looking MI2 outfit, give him back his red brownish hair!!!

For all I care the graphics aren't important to me. I liked the MI3 graphics! But MI needs to be point and click. It's just part of the game!

That's what I think. :fett:

Originally posted by Hi-Jinx

I like the way each MI game advances as time passes by. There's always some nice surprises to discover. Each game is original in its own way and the idea of going back to the original interface of MI1 and MI2 just wouldn't feel right. ;/

Hi-Jinx is right, I don't think that even if there were a big official poll as to how the next game should be laid out that it'd be right to take a step back. Each and every game is unique, but yes, I do prefer the PnC interface, perhaps in MI5 they could intergrate both somehow? The 2D backdrops but 3D characters is a cool idea.

I think the idea that Guybrush and Elaine should have a baby in the next ones a good idea too, would be fun to see that.

Anyway, what does everyone else think about the integration of the two?

I don't quite see how you can mix 2d backs with 3d players ???

Maybe you could make a mix where some parts are 3d and some others aren't,

still that would be very hard to figure out :rolleyes:

I still prefer te click'n'stuff,

I think that if LucasArts chose to use the old methods, the game-magazines would make the game black like coal (old techniques and things like that). On the other hand, at least most users of this forum would like it better!!

Also you wouldn't need an 'UBER' system to play MI5.

royal blue

Monket Island 5 you say? oh yes that. Monkey island did well as a cartoon character, I agree. There is no reason why he cant be 3D. I like how Guybrush and other characters talk (audio). The puzzles can be improved but I like monkey island 4. very good game. Only thing is, it needs to be funnier.

I don't quite see how you can mix 2d backs with 3d players ???

EMI and GF both used pre-rendered 2D backdrops with 3D characters. What do you mean?

Also, mixing the above graphical style with PnC would be easy... it was done YEARS AGO by Delphine in "Cruise for a Corpse".

Also, I agree: It's silly to blame 3D for EMI's flaws! GF was an excellent game and so was Maniac Mansion. Graphics don't make the game!

~ John

Archived