*Soundblaster Audigy 5.1 W/1394

*ATI RadeonT 9000 Pro 64MB AGP Dual Monitor

*1.44 MB Floppy Disc Drive- Black

*Intel Pro/100 S Desktop Adapter

*Dragon Full-Tower Case (340-Watt PS)- Space Black

*Microft XP Professional

*Powerware 3110 700VA 420-Watt UPS

*KoolMaxx Video Cooling System

Now mind you, I am not that serious of a gamer, however I do love PC games and I am in dire need of a new system. Option one is to get ALIENWARE here, and option two is to build my own system with most of the same specs as above, namely the processor and hard drive make. I got someobody that is really steering me in the build your own pc direction. I've never built a PC before, so that's why I am posting this. What should I do, what should I watch out for, ETC.

well that pc would kick serious ass!

i wouldn't build your own, you end up ripping your hair out and throwing the computer out of a window. something is bound to go wrong, it always does. however if you’re a calm and patient man who doesn't mind the odd unexpected challenge and still want to give it a go, then you can't beat the satisfaction of building your own pc

i always thought ALIENWARE was a bit pricey though, i would shop round a bit more if i were you.

Well these were the pc parts I was originally ordering from Alienware.

~ Chassis: Dragon Full-Tower Case (431-Watt PS) (Saucer Silver)

~ Power Supply: Enermax EG465P-VE 431 Watt Power Supply

~ Processor/s: Dual AMD Athlon™ MP processor 2100+

~ Memory: 1GB DDR SDRAM PC-2100 w/ECC

~ Hard Drive One: 120GB Western Digital UltraATA 7200RPM 8MB Cache

~ Optical Drive One: 16/48x IDE DVD-ROM Drive w/Software MPEG-2

Decoder

~ Optical Drive Two: Pioneer DVR-A04 - IDE - DVD-RW

~ Video Card: ATI® Radeon™ 9700 Pro 128MB AGP Dual Monitor

~ Video Cooling: KoolMaxx Video Cooling System

~ Sound Card: Sound Blaster® Audigy 5.1 w/1394

~ Network Card: Intel® PRO/100 S Desktop Adapter

~ Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 500-Watt THX Speakers - Black

~ Mouse: Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer USB 3.0 (Saucer Silver)

~ Home Networking: Nexland SOHO

~ Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional

~ Free T-Shirt: Free Alienware® T-Shirt - White

Price, a mere: $3900.00

Yep... However now I've decided to buy a couple pc's here in Sweden instead. :cool:

See, there's one problem to building your own computer....you'll never be able to get tech support when the dang thing decides to go PMS on you. But shop around, Alienware is very expensive. Try going with sum1 like Compaq, who is expensive but not too expensive. But if u have the cash, go for Alienware!

Compaq... *shudders*

Alienware is really swank (means excellent for you amerikans), yet they have terrible international/abroad support/skills. As Jedi said, if you have the money go for it, however you can practically buy 3 normal pc's or 2 very good pc's for the same price.

I love Sweden for it's great prices. :cool: I can buy the exact same parts as above mentioned for 1,500$ (equivalent) less. :D :D :D

The only reason I mention Compaq is because I got a desktop that lasted me a few years for a reasonable price.....but the tech support...............*shudders*

Building a PC is easy,

If you like the look of the alienware system, then you can get an identical box and put your bits in it. That way you can gradually upgrade.

The boxes are made by a company called chieftec and they are pretty good, I got the ally silver version for just £80 and it came with a good power supply too.

At the end of the day if a fool like me can build a PC anyone can. Also you will save yourself a truckload of cash!!!!

If you have the skills build your own. I will be going into my A+ cert classes soon enough and should learn the basics in there to build my own, until then I would even try it for fear that I would somehow hurt myself (don't ask).

If not buy the alienware and buy one for ol' FatalStrike while your at it!

Originally posted by Absurd

Athlon is okay but VIA chipsets are horrible.

Go Intel and do an overclocked combo:

http://www.outsideloop.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=olcomp&Product_Code=CMB-P4OC1&Category_Code=int-cmb

Overclock? are you joking? why buy something and immediately void its warranty? I wouldn't overclock something unless it was old and approaching the end of its lifespan. To overclock a brand new chip would be like burning your cash on a log fire!!!

I used to think i was imagining the coincidence between his name and his comments but.... Overclocking your brand new pc is like hitting your new window with a hammer gradually until one day it smashes. Just a matter of screwing you new pc :(

I wouldn't sugest building your own Pc if you have no experince in that field at all... you might waste a lot of money.

Originally posted by Absurd

Athlon is okay but VIA chipsets are horrible.

Go Intel and do an overclocked combo:

http://www.outsideloop.com/Merchant...ry_Code=int-cmb

You kidding right? Buying a brand new computer then throwing it out? Overcloaking a new PC is like driving your brand new Porsche into a brick all. Your just going to mess up your PC and ware out its life time if you overcloak it.

In truth i have heard a lot of good stuff about alienware and their marketing is great, but what you gotta remember is that you can build an entire system in component form for a lot less money. Sorry but its a fact, they just add a logo to the box.

ultimately it comes down to your how lazy you are or whether you have the tech knowledge to build a system.

If you can afford it and you don't want the headaches associated with a ground up build then cool get the package. if you dont mind problem solving and a bit of tweaking then you will ultimately find it more rewarding to build one. Let's face it a computer liek that is worthy of upgrading when new stuff becomes available and you will have the knowledge to do it by then if you built it yourself.

Archived