Home

WIP: Mace Windu

Toonces

I think I've said everything I can say about Mace. Its all in the Qui-Gon thread.

As far as his face, I did this quick paint over of the first base skin(geometry was the focus).

http://www.geocities.com/eo718/mace2.jpg

Asked for his clothes, look at this pic.

http://www.geocities.com/eo718/obiwan_mace_ani.jpg

*copy & paste both*

Make those adjustments, and he'll be done. That is all the feedback I have.

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The shoulders were one of the proportional changes I still have yet to make, I agree they are a little pointy ;) I'm actually making some tweaks now, trying to get the clothing right. I'll post some shots in a little bit

edit: About the robe, there are two things I can do, I can make a completely new model for just the robed version (like MP did with Plo Koon) or I can attach a robe to the current model. (like Tyrion) I chose the latter to save some time, the tradeoff is that there is no way I can make the robe look quite as good as it did in the movie, the animation system doesnt support anything like that currently so I have to build the robe around the model and adjust for clipping. This will make the robe quite bulky

Originally posted by Toonces

Looks great Arco :) I love the icon

Anakin_S I'm just wondering how off you think the body is? I remodeled the hips and he belt, as well as make a couple of tweaks for accuracy. I was thinking of using either Kit's body or completely making a new one but I thought with a couple of changes the body is pretty accurate.

I think Kit's body is better than Qui-Gon's, but that's just my personal opinion.

As far as the accuracy thing, here it goes:

The shoulders are too wide (even for Liam, but especially for Sam).

The Kimono (layer underneath the tabards) seems to be wrapped too tightly. Keo's second reference pic shows this well... there's another layer of clothing that is barely seen because the two parts of the kimono cross each other much higher than they should.

The sleeves in the model seem to be one width for the entire arm... they should start smaller near the shoulder and be quite open and wide by the time they get to the wrist. As it was stated, this will make the cuffs point backwards when standing still, but how often do you stand still while playing, huh?

The belt should be thicker (again, observe Keo's second reference pic - look how much area of the sash the belt covers) and Mace carries around those food capsules, which are absent from the model (but could be skinned fairly easily, I suppose). The pouches on the belt are the same as the ones Anakin uses... -Tercero- has already modeled the pouches for use on his Anakin model, so perhaps you could use those?

The tabards should be slightly less wide above the belt, and be the same width below it... the model's tabards are skinny below the belt and then curve and fan out. As the tabards are not seperate, they should be the same width, and should not curve and fan out. Sam's tabards in the movie went straight down and were pretty centered, so they should be brought in closer together.

From the little of the legs I see it appears they narrow too much before meeting the boot, but i'd need to see more pics to be sure. Also, those aren't Sam's boots. ;)

Last but not least, on the subject of the Robe... Mace's robe sleeves are longer even then the Emperor's (I can get a reference pic to show you if you need it), and I think it would look too silly if you modeled the robe the way it's shown (think of the Emperor's backwards cuffs but WORSE), so you can either modify it or not model it at all (my vote - not every Jedi model has to have a robe, and especially since there's no clothing animation...).

Anyway, I think those are the main points on accuracy. :D

I think it would be cool also to model the lightsaber onto his belt... this is being done by Edward Peretti on the Mara Jade model and it looks great. It's something to consider...

-Anakin

One last comment, his eyes need to be bigger in uniform scale and closer together like I had previously mentioned.

Last but not least, on the subject of the Robe... Mace's robe sleeves are longer even then the Emperor's (I can get a reference pic to show you if you need it), and I think it would look too silly if you modeled the robe the way it's shown (think of the Emperor's backwards cuffs but WORSE), so you can either modify it or not model it at all (my vote - not every Jedi model has to have a robe, and especially since there's no clothing animation...).

Maybe if he curved the sleeve instead of having it come to such a sharp point it would be ok.

Originally posted by keo718

One last comment, his eyes need to be bigger in uniform scale and closer together like I had previously mentioned.

Maybe if he curved the sleeve instead of having it come to such a sharp point it would be ok.

I knew I forgot something. :)

Not sure about the curve... i'd have to see it to tell, but it sounds like an idea worth looking into.

I haven't tweaked everything I'm going to on the body proportionally, give me time. Also Arco and my past track record always includes a few deviations from the movie depictions, I know this bothers some people, but we're trying :)

And on the robe issue, I'm not going to do super long sleeves, they are like the ones ont he tyrion model. I can't get the robe right, it's impossible with the current system, so either I remove it completely or I do it like I have it. I'm not removing it, but you can play without it of cource :D

I haven't tweaked everything I'm going to on the body proportionally, give me time. Also Arco and my past track record always includes a few deviations from the movie depictions, I know this bothers some people, but we're trying :)

And on the robe issue, I'm not going to do super long sleeves, they are like the ones ont he tyrion model. I can't get the robe right, it's impossible with the current system, so either I remove it completely or I do it like I have it. I'm not removing it, but you can play without it of cource :D

Sounds good to me.

BTW, have you decided what to do concerning my little request? :D

-Anakin

yeah it doesn't have to be spot on. I mean come on food cansiters on his belt??? maybe he ate them! Look at The tercero anakin model altho it is obviously the most amazingly acurate mesh I have seen pretty much ever... it has still taken him forever to do it and still it ain't done. But that is his bag baby I ain't got no probs with that. But with me and Toonces we just try to get the feel of the guy we are making... acuracy isn't what we go for. Maybe our Mace is wearing his evening jedi robes.... who knows. Anyway it is pretty close now and i am not going to go mental on the details.... who is going to see them when the guy is putting a purple lightsaber thru your head anyway? All you will see is a speeding jedi blur!

heh god I sound manic. Anyhew thats just how I work.... I like to add a little bit of myself into my stuff and I think Toonces feels the same.

WACKO!

Arco:deathii:

PS: me an toonces should be updating soon.... ooooOOOOoooo

Originally posted by Arco

yeah it doesn't have to be spot on. I mean come on food cansiters on his belt??? maybe he ate them! Look at The tercero anakin model altho it is obviously the most amazingly acurate mesh I have seen pretty much ever... it has still taken him forever to do it and still it ain't done. But that is his bag baby I ain't got no probs with that. But with me and Toonces we just try to get the feel of the guy we are making... acuracy isn't what we go for. Maybe our Mace is wearing his evening jedi robes.... who knows. Anyway it is pretty close now and i am not going to go mental on the details.... who is going to see them when the guy is putting a purple lightsaber thru your head anyway? All you will see is a speeding jedi blur!

Tercero's model taking forever to come out doesn't really have to do with the amount of detail he's putting into it... has to do with his personal life, so I don't think that should be held against him...

As for the food capsules - Toonces asked me how it could be more accurate, and I responded.

And I don't think you should go mental on the details either - I think the model looks great. However, it's the details that really make you say, "Yep, that's Mace (or Anakin or whoever)" and that's what seperates the good models from the truely great ones. Again, not knocking your work, it's just that Tex's models were never really refined... they've been tweaked by Toonces quite a bit, but it doesn't make up for the fact that the models were never really finished. Anyway, that's my two cents. Keep up the good work you two. :)

-Anakin

Originally posted by JEDI_Anakin_S

BTW, have you decided what to do concerning my little request? :D

Sure, I'll do it for you, it might take me a week or so to finish as I have other obligations, but I'll try and have it done soon :)

Originally posted by Shadyz

Holy SH*T toonces may I have permission to use that after its done for Zeus's and I's Genosian arena?

Didn't you e-mail me about this?

Originally posted by JEDI_Anakin_S

As for the food capsules - Toonces asked me how it could be more accurate, and I responded.

And I don't think you should go mental on the details either - I think the model looks great. However, it's the details that really make you say, "Yep, that's Mace (or Anakin or whoever)" and that's what seperates the good models from the truely great ones. Again, not knocking your work, it's just that Tex's models were never really refined... they've been tweaked by Toonces quite a bit, but it doesn't make up for the fact that the models were never really finished. Anyway, that's my two cents. Keep up the good work you two

Tercero is a dedicated man, I admire that, he also probly has an attention span much longer than mine ;) My models will probly never be as close to the movie versions as some may like, I like to change things up a little :)

I've made some more proportional changes to the body, I'll put up some shots in a little while. I also may model something extra on the belt, just to make it look more intresting :)

Sure, I'll do it for you, it might take me a week or so to finish as I have other obligations, but I'll try and have it done soon :)

Thanks much. You're the man, Toonces. I do need it a certain size however, as I can't scale models in Radiant. I'll email you with the measurements and whenever you get to it is great.

And I'm anxiously awaiting new pics of Mace from ya. :D

I'll send you my private e-mail addy in a moment so you can get in touch with me more quickly :)

Anyway, back on topic quick, since I love pictures so much :)

http://www.drivingcatstudios.com/images/macebody1.jpg

http://www.drivingcatstudios.com/images/macebody2.jpg

http://www.drivingcatstudios.com/images/macebody3.jpg

http://www.drivingcatstudios.com/images/macerobe1.jpg

http://www.drivingcatstudios.com/images/macerobe2.jpg

On the robe, unless I do a completely new body it's going to appear bulky, the animation system doesn't support things like that, anyway, feel free to coment on the robe, but any changes in geometry will come after the unrobed version is finished, and only if it's possible for me to do so

Archived