Home

An insight into Episode 3!

leXX

That's the strange part, but I think its because Leia grew up in a different household and that the force wasn't as strong with her, just enough for Luke to contact her in TESB. Plus, Vader is only under the impression that he was to have a son, not a son & daughter. So, basically, once he had that knowledge, he blocked everything out, and focused primarily on Luke. To him, Leia was just another member of the Rebel Alliance.

Originally posted by leXX

Another thing that has always puzzled me, if the force is so strong and it is like a 6th sense, why didn't Vader know Leia was his daughter, after all, he did have enough contact with her?!

My guess is that it's relatively undetectable unless a person is actively using it. Leia herself didn't know she had the ability to use the Force, so she never used it (except perhaps unconciously).

Kryllith

Luke kept his dad's last name--which would probably thow out some nice warning bells for Vader if (when) he found out who destroyed the Death Star. He sensed that Luke could use the Force, and was strong in the Force, an indication of his parentage... and he probably ultimately found out who the Jawas had sold the droids to. So, we have someone named Skywalker, who is strong in the Force, who was living with his brother-in-law. And by the time he drops the bomb, he's seen that Luke is using his old lightsaber.

I don't think that Vader sensed that Luke was his son... I think it took some detective work on his part. So why would he be able to sense that Leia was his daughter? And if he didn't suspect that she was his daughter, then why would he worry about torturing some Force-strong person? He'd killed plenty of them in the past.

Then again, you could argue that Vader sensed... something about Leia, because it was Vader who convinced Tarkin not to execute her immediately after it was discovered that there was no Rebel base on Dantooine.

Anyway... I don't think Anakin ever tells Obi-Wan, "give my son this lightsaber." Obi-Wan had a very loose definition of the "truth".

Jedi_Monk.jpg

Then why in ANH did Obi-wan say to Luke, "Your father wanted you to have this when you were old enough, but your uncle would never allow it..."

Someone just doesn't give something that personal to someone else unless there is an emotional attachment, like father and son.

Originally posted by Andy867

Then why in ANH did Obi-wan say to Luke, "Your father wanted you to have this when you were old enough, but your uncle would never allow it..."

Someone just doesn't give something that personal to someone else unless there is an emotional attachment, like father and son.

Perhaps Obi-wan took Anakin's saber after he had critically injured him, and kept it for safe-keeping. Perhaps Obi-wan go ahold of the saber somehow and knew that the "good" Anakin would have wanted Luke to have it.

Someone above said that maybe Leia was not strong in the Force but Luke says otherwise in EP VI when he is talking to Leia above in the trees on Endor "The Force is strong in my family, I have, My father has it, My......Sister has it."

Just being part of the Skywalker family she had a nice and high Midi-Chlorian count. She wasn't aware of it but maybe Vader was. She never used it in anyway. Qui-Gonn felt it in Anakin when they first crossed path so why couldn't Vader feel it in Leia?

:duel::lsduel:

I didn't know the force had to go both ways! Surely if one person is strong with the force, that should be enough to sense things. Padme has no force powers to speak of but Anakin and Obi still 'sensed' she was in danger! Vader imo should have been able to sense Leia was his daughter.

Vader imo should have been able to sense Leia was his daughter.

How?

Neither of them knew it. Vader didn't know he had a daughter so he wouldn't have been probing her mind for that, and she didn't know she was his daughter so she wouldn't have had those thoughts in her head had he been looking for them. Besides, he couldn't use a mind trick on her anyway to learn her parentage (if she did know) because she's not weak minded, he didn't learn where the base was by tricking her, so he shouldn't have been able to sense she was his daughter. Which narrows it down to hi having to sense her blood type and then knowing she was his daughter. Not likely.

Vader knew Luke was his son (or at least figured it out) because:

- Guy with last name Skywalker, who is strong in the force destroys Death Star. (big hint there)

- Stormtroopers would have reported back saying where the droids were sold tipping him off that something was up with the Lars' (maybe he ordered them to be killed when the stormies reported back).

- He knew he had a son (or at the very least, knew he had a child).

My opinion on the Anakin wanting Luke to have his lightsabre:

- while still a Jedi (or padawan, whatever), knowing Padme to be pregnant, expresses that he'd like his child to be a Jedi as well. Then he turns bad, Ovi ends up with his Sabre somehow and expresses Anakin's wishes to Luke.

Done and done...

My point is, I always thought of the force as like a 6th sense whereby you get certain feelings about things. I know Vader had no idea he had a daughter, but I woulda thought he woulda got some sort of feeling from being around her. The bond between a parent and their children is very very strong indeed. It always struck me as kinda strange that he didn't get a 'vibe' when near her.

My point is, I always thought of the force as like a 6th sense whereby you get certain feelings about things. I know Vader had no idea he had a daughter, but I woulda thought he woulda got some sort of feeling from being around her. The bond between a parent and their children is very very strong indeed. It always struck me as kinda strange that he didn't get a 'vibe' when near her.

Sure but he had nothing to reference that vibe to.

Follow me here: He could sense when Obi Wan came around. "A feeling I have not felt since..." (or something like it). He know the vibe that Obi Wan put out. Now he may very well feel a 'vibe' from Leia put how does he know that's the 'vibe' you get when you're around you're daughter? He likely knew Leia had some inherent force abililties (very weak obviously) and probably would just attribute it to the 'vibe' she had.

Well said Darth. We also need to remember that humans are intelligent and complicated beings. Like when Ani and Obi sensed the kouhuns near Padme' in ep2. They sensed more than one life form. Easy. Kouhuns are unintelligent simple lifeforms. They cant affect Force intuition in any way. All they had to do was sense a life form other than Padme's. Artoo didnt see them cause they were behind the bed. And I guess he didnt have lifeform sensers at the time. Or he just relied on the lazers on the ground.

. Qui-Gonn felt it in Anakin when they first crossed path so why couldn't Vader feel it in Leia?

I was just looking through the SW1 script... I don't really see any evidence that Qui-Gon sensed Anakin's power in the Force right off. In fact, Qui-Gon hardly gives him a second look in Watto's junk shop. Doesn't really think much of him after he saves Jar Jar, either. But it's when Anakin says that he can race pods that Qui-Gon starts to suspect that he can use the Force. Then, Shmi tells him that there was no father, which starts him thinking about prophesy and then he takes a blood sample for midichlorian testing (probably wouldn't have even bothered if there wasn't the suspicion going through him that this kid might be the one prophesied to bring balance to the Force).

Jedi_Monk.jpg

about yoda getting stranded on dagoboh. in the book heir to the empire, it explains why yoda was never found by vader on dagoboh. it says he tracked a dark jedi there and duelled him and killed him. (this left a dark mark on the place) and with yodas light side presence it balanaced it out and vader couldn't sence him. this fits in with episode 3 because yoda could track dooku or sidious here for some reason and duel, and kill them

i know it's Eu but it really does fit

I don't think Obi has training in mind for Luke at all. He just want's to keep him hidden from Vader and Palpatine. He only happened to cross paths with Luke when he was older and began his training then, he didn't go looking for him even though he was on the same planet and not too far away from where he lived. If he really wanted to train Luke, he would of started his training a lot ealier.

if you have read the original novel for A New Hope written by lucas himself you know that Ben Kenobi did try to establish contact with luke on several occasions so we cannot say that ben didn't have it in mind to train luke to be a jedi so that the jedi line would not die with him and yoda

Originally posted by darthweaver

about yoda getting stranded on dagoboh. in the book heir to the empire, it explains why yoda was never found by vader on dagoboh. it says he tracked a dark jedi there and duelled him and killed him. (this left a dark mark on the place) and with yodas light side presence it balanaced it out and vader couldn't sence him. this fits in with episode 3 because yoda could track dooku or sidious here for some reason and duel, and kill them

i know it's Eu but it really does fit

yoda can't kill darth sidious because darth sidious is palpatine but i do believe it is count dooku that he kills on dagobah whoelse could it be? there is not another sith lord except tyranus and sidious that we know of so that has to be the dark jedi that yoda kills on dagobah

Originally posted by Darth_Vader_27

if you have read the original novel for A New Hope written by lucas himself you know that Ben Kenobi did try to establish contact with luke on several occasions so we cannot say that ben didn't have it in mind to train luke to be a jedi so that the jedi line would not die with him and yoda

You should read a bit further on and see that I have already discounted that ... ;)

Archived