Home

Lightsabre Or Lightsaber?

Mex

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every modern language is an outgrowth of some prior language; language is something that's always evolving. Separate two people who speak the same language long enough and you'll come back to find that they have two separate languages. There are thousands of regional dialects around the world. Just because "sabre" came first, doesn't mean that it's the only correct way.

Just because the first human language probably consisted of grunts and growls doesn't mean that that's the proper language of humanity.

English has branched again on either side of the pond. Sabre is one of the words that has changed. Yes, the spelling saber might be American, and it is propper English and the accepted spelling in America; Star Wars, as you've pointed out, was created in America by an American. Star Wars is American, therefore it is lightsaber, it is propper and that, as they say, is that!

Jedi_Monk.jpg

In Denmarkian, it's called a Lyssværd - or light sword. Why not just call it that, since it has nothing to do with a sabre anyway?

I agree with you all, even though I spell it saber most often (what I'm used to seeing).

Jedimonk: You're right that languages evolve, but that's why we distingiush between them by giving them different names. That's why it's false to call saber the English spelling - you should call it the correct American spelling.

BTW: Funny how Americans insist on pronouncing the letter "Z" as [see] instead of [sed]. People couldn't pronounce my gaming nickname "Chraize" right, and ended up calling me "crazy" instead.... grrrrrrr.....:swear:

Posted by -s/<itzo-

off topic but i got a question for ya english folks.

is there asians with accents there in europe.

i just can't picture an asian guy with an english accent.

There are actually quite a few of them :)

It's becoming increasingly rare to hear a polished English accent anywhere, which is a shame, IMO... *goes off to polish his accent :p:D*

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by vegietto

i yhink it is lightsaber

yeah thats how we spell it here in america but down in europe they spell it "lightsabre".

european people are weird, don't ask.

like i said before lets consider "Lyte Seyba" the ebonics way of saying it.

Archived