Home

Official SWGB 2 GB.com Thread

Guest DarthMaulUK

5. Play AoM. Their campaign is just below Blizzard's

6. First of all, it is like a recharging move i.e. You do it right off, and then it recharges, and then you do it again. Also, there can will be different times for different moves, and some (like the healing) would be continuous (like what we have now, but a tad faster) or happen once a certain hp is lost (it still must be recharged)

7. 7-10 civs is the ideal amount. The curent game is right smack in the middle.

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

5) Ok, I'll give it a look.

6) Why? Why this random uncontrolled use, instead of a perfectly simple micro in this one essential area?

7) Why precisely is that the ideal amount? If we are to use that, then we'll either have a) No more civs, b) The current civs plus Episode III civs, or c) Remove some current civs.

And I doubt many people would want any of these when there is ample incentive and opportunity to include far more civs!

Ookaay...... 12 is a bit short of what I was aiming for. What civs were you all thinking of?

Here's my (draft) list:

The current civs (that's 8)

The Episode III civs (I doubt there'll be many new ones, but I'll allow 2 spots anyway)

Several EU civs: New Republic, Imperial Remnant, Yuuzhan Vong, Smugglers Union, and maybe Hutt Cartel. (that's 5)

So, all up, that's 15.

Questions? Suggestions?

Are those "Something Else" civs Episode III civs? Because we have to make room for them. If there are any.

I must disagree with your choice of the Mon Calamari. They already form a part of both the Rebel Alliance and the New Republic, and if we include either of them, we don't need the Mon Cals. It's like saying we need a Techno Union or Kaminoan civ.

Guest DarthMaulUK

I don't think we need more Civs. SWGB 2 doesn't have to be all new. It could cover old ground with current Civs but I agree on losing the Pummels & Cannons. There is no need for them really.

Just make the Assault Mechs more powerful against structures.

DMUK

http://www.galacticbattles.com

First with Clone Campaigns News

First with Clone Campaigns Exclusive Screens

First with news of SWGB 2

Originally posted by Sithmaster_821

The problem with AoM is not the lack of dogfighting but the whole god/god power thing

perhaps the godpowers could be force powers? like mind trick on a group of units, and instead of gods they are generals or something.

i think EE would be a good engine, but upgrades are the only bad thing about it.. all i really care about in a new engine is that the planes come from an airbase instead of floating in the sky all game.

Oh hell. Tanka, have u ever seen in the movies were some Jedi's force power managed to defeat an entire army with one try? No? Niether have I. Did Luke manage to win the battle of Hoth by doing a massive force push on the AT-ATs? No.

Also for generals, RoN does it much better.

EE as the engine? NO!!!!!!!! I expect that if RoN, C&C Generals or LA's own engine doesn't make it, EE defenetely won't.

My list of civs:

1) Empire

2) Rebels

3) Wookies

4) Naboo

5) Trade Fed

6) Gungans

7) Republic

8) Separatists (Confideracy)

9) Mon Cals

10) Ewoks

11) Hutt Cartel

12) Transdoshans (more fleshed out version of current editor units)

I like the force idea, i think the way we shud go about it is by having SC and AOM style for it, u can either select it manually 1 of say 3 powers or have it done randomly by the computer, and the little bar regrows after a force power is used, with the jedi thing i think there shud be 3 saber colors (red, green, blue) and different ones for heros like purple and yellow. The green and blue shud be green for masters and blue for knights and padawans.

There shud be two types of jedi, male and female created randomly, or if they want have a cuple of alien species in it to.

I think all civs shud get mechs but empire has the AT-AT as there unique for example it shud have 10 range, 500 hp and 25 attack, (UPGRADABLE TOO!) but other civs have hvy assault mechs, 300 hp 18 attack and 8 range.

ok so this will unbalance the mechs but empire shud have weak sith and not so strong troops.

republic shud stay strongest for jedi, there jedi IMO shud have 500 HP 15 attack every1 elses have 400 hp and 12 attack (im talking about masters :))

I would really like:

AT-ST crews to be suseptable to sniper attacks (the windows are completely open, no transparisteel)

Gungans to have a unique resource: Biomatter

Building construction to be realistic

Heroes to have skills that increase (Shooting an AT-ST driver could increase his sniper skill)

Airspeeders to be able to tangle AT-ATs

An extremely powerful scenario editor

It to be in 3D

Realistic building destruction (when a large tall building is destroyed, it collapses and sinks in to the ground damaging nearby units; when a power core is destroyed, it explodes and damages nearby units)

Most importantly, it must be fun!

(2)LA is pissed at the Zone. We're pissed at the Zone. The Zone's pissed at everyone. Rest assured LA wont touch the Zone with a ten foot pole in SWGB2.

That's why there is GameSpy...

(3)Windu, the "good" civs aren't all bad at mechs/heavies. Ever try the Wookies or the Gungans? RoN will not make a good engine, get over it. It is a game for all those people that go and complain that no one told them that RTS's weren't like SimCity, and war is optional, so of course they will have no rushing, cause rushing only works in games where attacking works.

RoN would not make a good engine because it won't look GOOD enough when the game finally comes out, but the RoN concepts are truely some of the best in the RTS market.

(4)Cities: They should be like settlements in AoM. Add to pop cap once you renovate them. Then they act as town centers/bases, ect.

WTF!?! CITIES!?! SCREW THAT! THIS IS STAR WARS!!! We have entire PLANETS that are cities. Plus who thinks that the Empire cares what their garrison back in the city is doing? Screw it. Just set up SUPPLY LINES. No resource gathering for goodness sake! These battles don't take years to do in the star wars universe...they may take a day or so, max. No tech research. Maybe, based on performance, your HQ gives you acess to more units and better technology, but there won't be Rebels and Imperials on the same planet sitting around and building their economy up to take on the other...that's just STUPID!

(5)Storyline: Considering that SWGB was made roughly for the ES side of the RTS spectrum, and seeing that ES makes their campaigns of the games, unlike Blizzard who makes their games off their campaigns, they probably won't talk much about the storyline while developing the game

good. In fact I think they should pull an RoN on this one with a large campaign MAP. You pick where you devote your expertise and the computer sends their offensive too or they can play a defensive war. If you want to involve an economy, involve it in a big power map...(you're govenor of a planet and you have control of what resources to devote where, etc.)

(6)Force Powers should be done at set intervals, i.e. A jedi will hack troopers up for a while and then, every 15 secs, they should throw a trooper/heal themselves/electrucute their opponent, ect.

They should also be civ specific

...um...what? Jedi should be super tanks...but very weak to the big guns...you arn't going to see a Jedi stopping a turbolaser blast anytime soon...it should blow him apart, not take off a TINY bit of damage...either all or none...but if the Jedi gets in close...well I've never seen an At-St cabob, but I'm willing to sample it...

(7)There shouldnt be more civs

Correct. In fact there should be LESS civs. There should only be MAJOR powers. Rebels, Empire, Trade Fed, Old Rep, and maybe Confederacy...but definatly cut out the species specific sides. Besides...the smaller amount of civs there are, the more detail can be given to better play and better units...

(8)Rushing is required if you want this game to be played by anyone but noobs

Rushing is required in every game you play. It's required even in real life. Never enter a battle without overwhelming force...that is the US's current polocy, but nobody critisizes them for sending a massive force against the troublemakers...well except France...but they critisize the US for everything...

-------------------------------------------------------

My Idea for resource in this RTS is prestige. The better you do during the battle the more prestige your going to get to add to your army. Also if you are loosing badly you can take a kind of negative prestige that can get you despiration reinforcements, so that if you defenses are pierced badly you can still bring in the cavalry to save the day at expense of your base lvl of prestige.

BTW, KoL ShadowJedi you're still living in the past. Your assuming we're going to make this game almost exactly identical...an upgrade/X-pac more than a NEW GAME. If they want this game to sell it must have more then the same old same old with the new graphics. It must have better gameplay and must be able to capture the Star Wars feel unlike GB. It must have new gameplay. We don't need repeat crap. The old game did not deliver in the gameplay department with the almost completely cloned game. It missed the mark by a considerable amount since it was basically AoK with cooler skins on the units...that's it. Strategies were almost completely intact...get a horde of Pummels to slowly rumble over and knock down a wall that would just be blown to bits by demolitions teams in the SW universe. Stupid.

I think they should start out with 8 civs, and work them out. If they get done with time left, they can develop extra civs. I mean if some developer created reasonable civs in his spare time (like the yuuzhan vong) why wouldn't you want them? They wouldn't neccaserally have to put a huge Yuuzhan Vong head on the box front.

Lol, what would happen to the atst? After a huge mech battle against snipers, would there be a forest of them?

As mentioned before, there could be a large air transport. 5 carrying capacity is not going to be enough. It would probaly be as close to a star destroyer as were going to get, though much smaller---a dropship.

Maybe they will create the best engine ever, with the option of choosing a map so large it takes nearly an hour to discover the enemy.

Oh, and a thought. IMO, bodies and wreckage should deteriorate slower. That way killing hundreds of units is more satisfying.

Fergie-

Gamespy? Why is there this obsession with using other people's services? Why can't LA make their own? Then they could just adapt it to every other game (a swbattle.net or something).

Yes! Down with RoN! Die! *kills RoN*

I agree that we shouldn't have cities, and I did come up with an idea in the 'Cities' thread about a kind of supply line thing. But you're just going crazy (no offense). No resources? No research? What IS this? Keep the game vaguely recognisable as GB and RTS!

With the campaign map- once again, keep it recognisable as GB. No epic-scale things, no ripoffs of pathetic epic-scale games. Please.

Aye. Go rushing.

Hey! The French are the only ones not scared of the US! I say, go the French! If I ever get RoN I'll play the French. Er.. there are French, aren't there?

Prestige? Ookay. Sounds vaguely Force Commander-ish, from what I've heard of it. And........ no. Don't screw with the system. Or it'll screw with you. Or alternatively, a whole bunch of disillusioned players will. :)

And finally, Yes! Yes yes and yes! This game must be new! And thus, DMUK, KoL, everyone else, we need newness! And, of course, part of this newness (hey, I made a word) is moreness! And moreness includes more civs. So let's have more civs, because nobody likes to 'live in the past,' as you put it.

Crazy dog:

I agree with you about the force/god powers and such. No to AoM.

But by the same token, no to RoN. Sorry.

And no to EE!

LA's own, customized and perfectly SW engine is the best- nay, the only way to go.

About your list of civs- yeah, we should keep the current ones, but I disagree with some of the rest.

Mon Cals: Part of the New Republic, a far grander and more important civ.

Ewoks: A small civ with no true military power. Perhaps fun for a couple of scenarios, but to take this above the Yuuzhan Vong is sacrilege.

Trandoshans: You'd take a species with one unimportant and oft-overlooked appearance in the movies and a small part in GB over several fully fleshed-out civs in EU? Weird. Yuuzhan Vong are better.

About the sniper thing: Snipers have been discussed in another thread, and I prefer the suggestions over there. Keep them as good against troopers.

arrrrrg. WHY MORE CIVS? SCREW MORE CIVS! Get that idea out of your head NOW! This is 3D we're talking about here. To have 8 or more civs in a totally 3D game with no rip of units that look the same is nuts and you can expect the game to have some of the crappiest frame rate for an RTS ever.

BTW, why would no research and no resource collecting be anti-RTS feel? It lets you devote more time to REAL STRATEGY. Not making an economy. This is a WAR GAME! A BATTLE SIMULATOR! In battle you have two armies or more face off...no economy to worry about when you are a general...no research either. Other people research things for you and tell you that they've got a new thing. You would never see Patton leading a researching team trying to make a new tank because his current Sherman tanks were insuficient...no he'd just request a better tank...he really wouldn't be able to define better either because he isn't an expert in the field. You leave research to the scientists and battle to the generals. Also I've played many games without research or resources at all! Sid Mier's Gettysburg is a wonderful RTS. I still play it even though it came out before I ever owned a computer for myself. It all depends on the presentation...can they pull it off and is it new. If everything just gets so old and you keep coping of the old design and learn nothing from it (i.e.- GB) then it will not suceed. Things must change. I admit it is a bit radical, but when the original GB failed to meet ANY of my expectations I think that GB 2 must have a radical change in order to do decently.

And the huge command map? Well if you can't think of a decent storyline, which I'm sure they can't since GB's storyline sucked too, then just go with an alternate version where you don't HAVE to think of much of a storyline...let the players make their own and experiance a totally unique experiance every time they play.

It seems that the only reason you don't want more civs is because you don't think computers can handle it. Well think again. Can't you be optimistic? Computers are doing pretty damned well now, and with a couple of years, fantastic advances can and will happen.

Ooh. Now you're just going mad. So you want an all-battle, no-econ game? Great. Go play a Craft. This is a war simulator. In war, people do research. Do you think that one-half of all RTS games should be suspended just because you don't think it's realistic enough?

If that's what you want, then you can use my all-new high-tech absolutely-lovely GB 2 scenario editor to build yourself maps with just two big armies on the map.

I have learnt quite a lot from GB! That's why I'm suggesting fairly radical changes- like more civs, unique unit sets, larger air forces, a new engine, and so on.

You still need a storyline. Instead of a command map, perhaps there could be larger amounts of scenarios, with choices made within the scenarios affecting what the next scenario is. Thus, players with different attitutes/strategies will have quite different experiences.

Just a few thoughts on a possible SWGB2. It is a bit long, but I cant help but give my point of view.

I have played CC quite a bit and playing it is immensly rewarding. I have also played quite a number of other RTS games.

With the possibility of influencing the development of a new game, I just want to throw up a few ideas on how I might have the game.

First of all, SWGB is a great idea and a good game. To make any drastic improvements, a completely new game engine is needed. I believe the Age of Kings engine places a stranglehold on SWGB, preventing it from being a much better game. The civs at the moment, while unique, are not different enough. In SWGB, a Clone Trooper, Super Battle Droid, Stormtrooper and Rebel Trooper all basically the same except for the picture. I believe that the game would be much more fun if these "Grunts" instead of being given the least detail, were given the most.

The sequel needs an engine that can give civs the unique aspects required to make armies more diverse, more able to reflect their abilities/advantages/disadvantages seen in the movies and make it more fun and challenging to play. The Age of Empires type of play while fun at first, can become boring. A large scale Warcraft 3/Command and Conquer Generals setup would a better setup in my mind.

Make sure you also have plenty of good movies, not just an intro. Have a look and Command and Conquer movies, and thatst the standard you should be setting. Also one of the most dissappointing things is when you buy a game made off a movie and the characters voices are not the ones in the movie. While a minor thing, actor's voices really are noticed by gamers. You would make a hell of an impression if one clicked on Mace Windu, and you actually heard Samuel L. Jackson's voice.

***Note to SWGB2 game developers. Using the Age of Kings Engine probably made your workload far easier. However, in a successful sequel you will really need to work hard on finding, or developing a good platform engine from which to start your game from. If it is not up to scratch, gamers will really notice it, no matter how much other stuff you include. Personally, I would reccommend the creation of your own engine. While a lot of hard work and woe, if it is done correctly you could have a marvel of gaming in your very hands. Who knows, maybe you might turn the tables, and sell your engine to other companies!***

The game also needs to represent more accurately what is portrayed in the movies. You should be able to watch a movie and expect to sit down and do the same kind of things you saw in the movie. Also, if computers can handle the strain, battles in SWGB2 should reflect better the numbers in the game. 250 is not much to play around with when trying to do the battle of Geonosis. It may not be possible, but it would be worth a shot.

Experience, Experience, Experience. You should put a lot of thought into experience and how each unit gains it. (Droids probably shouldnt get it but, their computers, after all). Apart from different weapons, better stats etc think about making veterans look more menacing. It would be a nice touch. A bit of thought into an experience system would go a long, long way...

I had a major thought in the whole attitude to the game, I would introduce mulitiplayer that you could possibly be given the chance to be a commander, but a mate you have might be an actual Jedi/Bounty Hunter in the game, combining SWGB and Jedi Knight - Outcast sort of. It would allow human Jedi to run freely about the battlefield, hacking up battle droids while informing you of enemy positions. He calls for backup, and you send a fleet of Clone Trooper starships. Alternatively, a bounty hunter could order in all kinds of wierd weapons to mill about and pick off enemy patrols of a base before blowing up the gate allowing the commander to assault the base. If a Jedi Temple/Spynet were built by your civ, you could "appeal to the council"/"offer reward". A group of moderators would sit around by computers, and if they felt like it (or were asked to) could help out random gamers as Mace Windu or Boba Fett arrives by starship to help in assasinating a disruptive enemy commando force in your sector. It would place a hight demand on graphics cards, and internet connection speed, but it is a pretty cool thought.

A dissappointing aspect is how the Jedi/Sith have about 1 attack stroke. The sequel must have some ability where Jedi/Sith are able to display a miriad of sword-strokes, and the ability to show off all kinds of Force powers. They should also be given the ability to deflect laser blasts, and the player can actually see it. Maybe some kind of programming can be implemented where if a Jedi and Sith come into battle, you really know about it when your troops are repeating the same shooting action while there are a Jedi and Sith running about the map doing dozens of different action sequences you have seen out of the movies. At the moment, Jedi and Sith are treating like any other military unit, which is disappointing because Jedi and Sith are more than a close combat unit with a lot of hit points. They deserve a class of their own, and a sequel which incorporates this will give gamers a lot of amusement while they spend hours finding out everything their Jedi/Sith is capable of. I would introduce an experience system where Jedi Padawan would say train at a Jedi Academy building and learn abilities of the players choosing, under the safe tuteledge of a residing master. A Sith Apprentice however would only gain experience from a Sith Master, watching and participating in what he does in battle, but with a greater risk of death. A Jedi would get experience safely, slowly whereas a Sith would gain experience dangerously, but quickly.

If I were to make a sequel, the civs would sort of look like this.

Very few military units would exist other than the units seen in the SW movies.

Each civ would have "standard" formations/attack stances, but each civ would also have unique formations allowing their military to display manourvers that allow superior advantages in given situations (Rebel Ambushes, Clone Trooper Formations, X-wing attack runs), allowing the computer AI to handle some situations, freeing up more time for the player.

Rebels- Few buildings, small bases (Rebels dont have much money, bases are designed to be undetectable, not sore thumbs) No grunts, "worst" military unit a Rebel Trooper, who acts much like a Commando. (In the movies, you see very few Rebel Troopers compared to other Armies) Ability to conduct some sort of ambush tactic, highly trained and deadly. Overall, fewer military units, but much more capable that other civs. Bases might have some sort of cloaking, undergroud arrangement. Not good a large scale battles.

Galactic Empire - More tactical diversity than Republic, ability to use a wide variety of military units to adapt to a given situation. I would consider calling in Tie Strikes instead of actually building Tie fighters. This would leave you worrying less about actually building fighters made from hardened cardboard boxes and would encourage a "blow this up - I dont care if you all die doing it attitude" when an Imperial Commander addresses his Tie Fighters, as they are free!! They should have very large bases, lots of buildings etc. Wide varieties of bounty hunters should be at their disposal, each designed to help against different types of enemies, not just jedi.

Republic - As I saw in EpII, these guys dont have a lot of military options. I would make them the best and fastest in launching full-scale battles. Very powerful Aircraft, backed up by AT-TE's, followed up by hordes of Clone Troopers, a few being commandos. Not a lot of different tactics, except with their ability to customise Jedi. Republic players should be entitled to have very customizable Jedi, with a range of straight out fighting, some protection, some Trooper helping abilities. I would also allow some Jedi to call on their Starfighters, picking astrodroids (some better navigation, some better combat aiding), using the Starfighters to travel deep into enemy territory undetected to give locations for "Trooper Strikes"

Naboo Defence Force - Naboo and Gungans are not quite cabable enough to call themselves both military civs in their own right. More a combination civ might be better. Majority of force Gungun, with appropriate Fambaa Shield generators etc, with the options of a highly trained, but low in number human Naboo strike teams, with vehicles, different weapons, good aircraft etc. Co-existance is the key, this civ doesnt survive unless you incorporate and complement the Naboo and Gungans differing ablilities.

Trade Federation - What can I say. More troopers than republic, although worse. Very good tanks, both powerful and manouverable, combined with transports that can hold a number of battle droids more like EpI instead of a measly 10. A capable air force, but nothing spectacular. More tactical options that Republic, but about the same as Galactic Empire. Would enforce some sort of system where "Commander Droids" could be give differing programming that allowed them to bestow bonuses, formations, attack stances etc. to surrounding droids.

Confederacy - Much like Trade feds, but droids are a little better, and more choices in mechs. Allow AA to shoot ground missiles, like EpII where a AT-TE is blown up. Bases are more secretive, but are much more efficient that any other civ, producing units very quickly and cheaply, thanks to corporate alliances.

Hopefully I havent bored you yet.....

I hope this provokes some thought in gamers out there. It isnt comprehensive or perfect, but hopefully the ideas here can spark some debate and discussion, and hopefully this will make a sequel much more enjoyable to players out there.

May the Force be with you...

Jedi Master Jono

It seems that the only reason you don't want more civs is because you don't think computers can handle it. Well think again. Can't you be optimistic? Computers are doing pretty damned well now, and with a couple of years, fantastic advances can and will happen.

No. I want less civs so they can actually focus on gameplay. Look at GB. All those civs and not one little pinch of original gameplay...pathetic! More civs don't make a better game. I have a jolly old time with 2 or 3. Give me good feels and good quality civs, not 12 or so crappy rushed civs. Also, computers CAN'T handle it. With advances in computers will come advances in the graphics department. With all those different high poly count units on the screen, the average consumer will be alienated. And with GB that was the obvious target with the aging AoK engine.

Ooh. Now you're just going mad. So you want an all-battle, no-econ game? Great. Go play a Craft. This is a war simulator. In war, people do research. Do you think that one-half of all RTS games should be suspended just because you don't think it's realistic enough?

If that's what you want, then you can use my all-new high-tech absolutely-lovely GB 2 scenario editor to build yourself maps with just two big armies on the map.

YES PEOPLE DO RESEARCH! SO WHAT!?! Generals don't research and develop unless they are assigned to do so and it's especially rare durring WAR. I don't ever recall Rommel stopping his army to build up his economy and order his country men to start constucting research and development centers...ON THE FRIGGIN BATTLEFIELD! I think the RTS world has used up its basebuilding strategy WAY too far. Sure I won't mind bases being built...but ordering FARMS built and to start mining for gold...on a BATTLEFIELD is just stupidly unrealistic. Oh weee- dogies...two armies on a map...woopteedo. Since we have too many civs in this game we sacrificed gameplay too badly and thus pitting the two armies against one another the high ground sucks, flanking manuevers are non-existant, and units have crappy formations that in real life would get the crap shot out of them by ranged repeater units.

I have learnt quite a lot from GB! That's why I'm suggesting fairly radical changes- like more civs, unique unit sets, larger air forces, a new engine, and so on.

Feh, radical my arse. Most of those are for an X-Pac to handle. You have to have a game before you can add extra units. We don't even have a clue on how many units per side there will be! This game could go the way of WarCraft and take a 13 unit per side stance or it could go nuts and make a 100 unit per side with every unit feeling the exact same, like EE and AoK.

You still need a storyline. Instead of a command map, perhaps there could be larger amounts of scenarios, with choices made within the scenarios affecting what the next scenario is. Thus, players with different attitutes/strategies will have quite different experiences.

with a very very limited amount of equations...I'd rather go with a totally unique campaign every go around. It's unexpected and it would enhance the replay value of the game ten fold. Really, I must ask you, even with a wonderful story to the game...you've seen it once already and know it well...will you play it again? Once...maybe twice...but mostly you'll rely on user created scenarios or ones of your own...or maybe just MP...but as GB proved, you can't rely on those for anything. With the customized campaign you get a new focus. Everybody will be replaying the campaign mode over and over again, because "The Empire got lucky and took one of my vital forts and I didn't pulverize them as well as I wanted to...but this time it'll be different!" But it won't be different if we took the normal route and made a mostly linear campaign. I shot through GB's campaigns within a few days...game over...sure I went back and ocasionally messed with one or two easter eggs, but after beating it that first time I didn't really care anymore...I designed a few scenarios then switched back to playing quality random scenarios in Sid Miers Antietam...

Archived