Home

first...image sig...ever

Elessar-Eärfalas

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How'd you get the words in all of yours to turn out the way they did? Photoshop also? That is the main part of my sig I'm not happy with. Best I could scrounge up though...

I am getting an alternate one to match my dogs avatar I have sometimes too. Just fiddling around with what font to use...

Originally posted by Elessar-Eärfalas

well...im actually not sure lol. ive been asked alot of questions about my name but im not sure about that.

whats the Silmarillion?

Taken from the back of the book:

The Silmarillion is the core of J.R.R. Tolkien's imaginative writing, a work whose origins stretch back to a time long before The Hobbit. Tolkien considered The Silmarillion his most important work, and, though it was published last and posthumously, this great collection of tales and legends clearly sets the stage for all his other writing. The story of the creation of the world and of the First Age, this is the ancient drama to which the characters in The Lord of the Rings look back and in whose events some of them, such as Elrond and Galadriel, took part[...]

Basically speaking, it's a compilation of all of the backstory that Tolkien wrote over the decades before, during, and after publication of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. In the back it's got appendixes which contain, among other things, a basic (and brief) summary of the Elvish language, which is how I deciphered your name.

El (should actually have the little wedge thing above the 'E') - 'star'

-essar I believe has something to do with royalty (in this case, a royal or highly prized star), unless I'm mistaken. My elvish isn't so good. ;)

Ear (I don't know how to make the dots above the 'E') - "sea" (Quenya); the Sindarin word gaer is apparently derived from the same original stem.

falas - 'shore, line of surf' (Quenya); another derivative from the root was Quenya falma '(crested) wave'

So, roughly translated, you get "Star of the Sea Shore."

wow, nice post :thumbsup: thats wicked...i never knew any of that stuff, big LOTR fan i am eh, :rolleyes: heh

thats awesome, thanks ya!

is the Silmarillion located at the back of any of the LOTR books?

The appendixes from the back of the LOTR books do show up in a MUCH more complete form in the Silmarillion, but there's really no substitute for it. The Silmarillion is about 370 pages of Middle Earth history and information.

I got a 1-volume edition of the trilogy at the start of the school year, but had to let it collect dust as I read Night and Lord of the Flies (both some of the worst books ever read, IMO). Just re-started it before finals couple weeks ago and forgot all these names!

So, I found in the back that there are about 5 appendixes and maps. First time I put them to use.

Almost done with FotR, but need to read Julius Caeser and To Kill a Mockingbird soon. Jeez! I hate Eng/ Lit this year...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

heh i like it. looks really good :thumbsup: howd you do the kinda of border thing around the outside of the sig/av?

It's the 'bevel' effect in Photoshop.

And Clemme, it is the actor that played Valentin in the newer Bond movies (his charater died in The World Is Not Enough, I believe). His name is Robbie Coltrane.

Also had a little known role in Let It Ride, one of my favorite movies, starring Richard Dreyfus.

Archived