Home

Are sports losing their appeal because of all the outrageous things?

Reborn Outcast

Sports...  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Sports...

• Gone up in appeal
    • Gone down in appeal
    • Stayed the same
    • Don't watch sports

Has anyone here ever felt inclined to turn off a sports program that you used to watch and enjoy for many long years before that? I have and I am beginning to think thats its because sports is losing its appeal.

For example: Baseball... Wow this has just been ruined for me... Ken Caminiti (sp?) admitting that he and half the other players use steroids... Selig making a fool out of himself. Baseball is now no fun for me to watch knowing that any one of those amazing homers or plays could be aided by steroids.

NASCAR: Never watched it, never want to. A bunch of people driving around with a deathwish. Also we have race car drivers punching camera men and fellow competitors... whats up with that?

Basketball: This sport is still mildly interesting to me but with over dominant teams like the Lakers and the past years of domination by the Bulls ( but I did love the Bulls) has made basketball go downward a little for me. I only watch the Celtics play because they are moving back up because of Pierce.

American Football: This is the best sport that is played on television in my opinion. No scandals that I've heard of. Good games, underdogs winning, and amazing comebacks being played. Even college football is better than things like baseball.

So what are your opinions: Has sports gone down for you, up, or stayed the same?

I enjoy watching baseball, basketball,and fooball. No appeal has been lost for me, but for others it has. Like the world series for example. It was a fantasic world series but yet it had very low ratings. I just believe that the publics attention has been drawn to many other things now.

Originally posted by ET Warrior

The only sport i really like watching is hockey......and i still love hockey. WOOHOO!

Same here bro. Hockey is the only sport I watch nowadays but even now I don't watch it as often.. I used to watch baseball, but I don't like it as much anymore. I see what your getting at Reborn. I used to beg my parents to let me stay up to watch a hockey game as a kid. Now I always forget about it or are doing other things. I still watch hockey on a regular basis but I'm not as crazy about it as I used to be.

Anyone remember XFL?

GOD :eek:

Ya, sports is pretty boring now with all the strikes, fighting, lazyness, overpaid atheletes, scandals, drugs, etc. In basketball Lakers are losing like hell tho they are doing OK right now, they seem to me like they are lazy. Baseball suffered ANOTHER strike which totally ruined the sport IMHO. Nascar is boring...people driving around in circles at deadly speeds, i really don't see how people can stand 2-3 hours of it. I don't really watch sports now cause of school but I still catch big games like All-Star games and championships.

alot of athletes just seem really lazy and know that they are going to get paid no matter what so they dont try there hardest during the regular season as hard as they do during say, the playoffs or allstar games. it pisses me off because i know all fans pay big bucks to go see top athletes performing at there top skills. aw well, nothing much we can do about it...heh :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Elessar-Eärfalas

alot of athletes just seem really lazy and know that they are going to get paid no matter what so they dont try there hardest during the regular season as hard as they do during say, the playoffs or allstar games. it pisses me off because i know all fans pay big bucks to go see top athletes performing at there top skills. aw well, nothing much we can do about it...heh :rolleyes:

I agree. Players used to play for the love of the game not for the love of the money. They gave 100% every game. Now it seems, players give a halfass effort because they already got the big bucks.

Note: I am not saying all athletes are like this I am just saying majority of them are.:)

The only sport that lost its appeal is wrestling, before it was n'bad but now its just pathetic. They do the same thing again and again and again. They suck at acting ( wrestling IS FAKE!!!) and there isn't as much blood and violence from way back then!!

I remember watching the figure skating world championships in Canada on television. I remember seeing the ones before the Canandians and I thought the were really good. The Canadians came on, and gave what I thought a mediocre performance and they ended up scoring higher.

Then you have the Atlanta olympics. What a joke. The Jamaicans and pacific islands people should be the ones judging it. That should hopefully get rid of all the bias and bribing.

Shame though. That really tarnished an olympics already tarnished by bribes and allegations.

Originally posted by Kainite

Just you wait, in a few years the new sports will all be compuiter games, which proper organised teams and people trading players and stuff. It will happen, just a question of time. Imagine that, getting sponsored and paid to play games.

I highly doubt that.....because there would be NO profit from that. Who would pay to watch a bunch of couch-potato nerds playing video games against each other? I know I wouldn't, i'd rather play myself. And since there wouldn't be a stadium, there would be no ticket sales, and no money from Television, and therefore no way to actually pay the people playing video games.

And I haven't seen any controversial crappy things going on in hockey OR tennis...........so those must be the sports that REAL athletes play........;)

Sport is kind of getting repetitive now.

Football [the English version] = A game where a team goes around kicking a ball and kicking it into a 'goal', how can that even be called 'sport'?

Football [American version] = Have not played it before, seems wierd a bit.

BasketBall = A game for tall people who can jump a little bit. WOW :rolleyes:

Hockey = Damn Hockey is fun, better than most of sports.

Baseball = I don't wanna touch that with a 10 foot stick.

American football is some of the most entertaining stuff ever televised. I doubt anyone here, including myself, is old enough to remember the Heidi game, but that's a prime example of how much the American public loves their football. The fact that the season is only 16 games long makes it exciting because every single game counts. Teams can be made or broken within the week. Financially, football is good too because teams have salary caps. A team can't just go around and buy up all the good players and in essence, buy championships. And football fans are some of the most loyal fans in the sports world.

Football is a great international sport. It's a universal language of sorts because regardless of what country you visit, people will be playing football. Playing it requires athletes to be in great physical condition and to have good team chemistry. It's exciting in it's own right. You try undoing something that's been around for a century and has entertained countless millions around the world.

Basketball is a very physically demanding sport as well as one that requires a good degree of proficiency to be successful. Basketball players are in good physical health and they have to be to compete in such a sport. Some athletes make more than they deserve though.

Basically what I'm trying to say is, sports has always stayed the same for me, regardless of what's happening behind the scenes. I just care about the game. As long as the game is being played fairly and legally, I've no qualms with it. I have a tremendous appreciation for athletes and the abuse they subject themselves to for the public's entertainment.

Originally posted by Flanders

Football [the English version] = A game where a team goes around kicking a ball and kicking it into a 'goal', how can that even be called 'sport'?

Ha-ha. Can't argue with that. The expert has spoken. :D

We should stop making movies too. You know - just...people staring at a big screen. How dumb and boring is that!? :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Luc Solar

Ha-ha. Can't argue with that. The expert has spoken. :D

We should stop making movies too. You know - just...people staring at a big screen. How dumb and boring is that!? :rolleyes:

That's a good point.....we should do away with EVERYTHING that doesn't really have a point.....like video games..you accomplish absolutely nothing by playing video games........so i say down to them! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

One sport that will never lose appeal to me is College wrestling... its not big enough for scandals, and its the most physically demanding sport. Basketball comes close in the cardio department, but not overall stress that it places on the wrestlers.

Mixed Martial Arts are pretty fun to watch too, kindof like Boxing, Kickboxing, and Wrestling all thrown together. Sometimes they get a bit brutal though, like when Ortiz tore Shamrock apart.

Says the "O Great and Athletic One" :mob: My my look at him run. :D

Flanders just curious but do you play any sports?

WHO CARES.

Watching sports IMO is stupid in the first place. It like some kind of mental deficiency, some human condition, that you need to be a "part" of something, so you can brag when "your" team wins. I can understand the exhiliration of your team doing something like winning or getting that amazing pass/hit/goal/head injury but you know what? Its much more fun to go and frigging do it yourself, so get outside and organize some friends and play some backyard whatever.

Originally posted by Lime-Light

WHO CARES.

Watching sports IMO is stupid in the first place. It like some kind of mental deficiency, some human condition, that you need to be a "part" of something, so you can brag when "your" team wins. I can understand the exhiliration of your team doing something like winning or getting that amazing pass/hit/goal/head injury but you know what? Its much more fun to go and frigging do it yourself, so get outside and organize some friends and play some backyard whatever.

You really are a fairly angry person, aren't you?

Err....you ask how football even can be called a sport, and then you say hockey is fun and better than most sports.

But aren't they just the same?

Football: A bunch of guys running around trying to get a "ball" into a "goal"

Hockey: A bunch of guys running around trying to get a "puck" into a "goal"

Yup, there are certain similarities there. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by JM Qui-Gon Jinn

Err....you ask how football even can be called a sport, and then you say hockey is fun and better than most sports.

But aren't they just the same?

Football: A bunch of guys running around trying to get a "ball" into a "goal"

Hockey: A bunch of guys running around trying to get a "puck" into a "goal"

Yup, there are certain similarities there. :rolleyes:

but in Hockey they aren't running around.......they're SKATING around!!! AHA!!!! ;)

Archived