Home

Concerning Elves

Zygomaticus

THis post DOES refer to lord of the rings.

I just has this question that's really been bugging me for a while... :p

If elves are immortal, how does their look change? Why are some elves old looking like Elrond and some others young looking like Arwen and Legolas? If they're immortal why don't they just look like babies all their lives?

Or is it something like a 1000 elf years = 10 human years and so a 2000 year old elf would look 20 and a 4000 year old elf would look 40?

Any ideas? :p

Originally posted by Flanders

Is this about Lord of the Rings?

If it is then........ I don't know any of it because.....

I havent seen Lord of the Rings.....

sorry, 'bout that. Maybe i should've mentioned it. yes, it is about Lord of the Rings.

Elrond was old looking? No grays...he's just ugly for an elf

Then why do they have to look 20-30? Why not 10-15?:rolleyes::D

Uh, probably has something to do with the fact that human actors have to play them in the movies. :p

In the Silmarillion it describes the elves having children, and the child elves growing at the regular rate, but once they reach maturity it seems they never age again.

Also: Elrond has human blood in him as well,.. that's why he looks different.

Originally posted by edlib

In the Silmarillion it describes the elves having children, and the child elves growing at the regular rate, but once they reach maturity it seems they never age again.

That's what I have always figured. Maybe some just stop growing older later than others.

When Elves reach to a certain age they keep looking the same ever after, unless you have suffered great grief or struggle (e.g. Cirdan, was the only Elve to have a beard cause he had a great amount of struggle, Mother of Feanor (can't think of her name), she had a long and hard labor with Feanor and then died soon after, because she choose too)

Archived