Home

Lightsaber Crystals

Trahern Valley

As I understand it, the crystals used in Jedi lightsabers are naturally produced and have to be mined/refined etc. while the naughtier force users make do with artificially-produced crystals (which is why they're always red). How is this to be handled in the game? Is there supposed to be any actual difference in performance? Wouldn't crystal mining draw attention? If you go bad, what happens to your Jedi lightsaber? What are those different ignition noises about, anyway?

And so on.

I was wondering though can non-Jedi weild the feared glowing blade?

If you're talking about normal people with lightsabers, I think I remember reading that they're not gonna let anyone but jedi get em. Sorry, don't have the link ... I'll look for it.

Originally posted by Lord_Vessen

Well when you find the link post it ASAP

i found it for him, it was in the FAQ so dont worry

the question was under Jedi

the question was:Could you claim the light saber of a fallen foe and be able to use it if you were a bounty hunter? If you were a skilled force user capable of building them could you sell them?

Answer: Non-Jedi will be unable to use a Lightsaber effectively. A lightsaber in the hands of a non-force user would basically be a Light-bludgeon. Also, a Jedi is required to keep the lightsaber functional and clean. The devs have said a couple times now that a lightsaber in the hands of a non-Jedi is pretty much useless. They have also said that NPC's will not buy, nor sell lightsabers

Originally posted by Lord_Vessen

This is kind of on topic but what type of swords will be used in the swordsmen profession? Metal, or laser?

(If you can become good with a lightsaber then I might weild one, I want some type of sword.)

Those names are a bit misleading, and the devs admitted that. Basically, pikemen fights with big, heavy polearm weapons, swordsmen with heavy onehanded weapons, and fencers with lighter onehanded weapons. So expect gaffii sticks, vibro-axes and other such weapons, but no light sabers.

Okay, just cause I have the info and am mildly bored......

The anatomy of a Lightsaber:

Let's start with the WEG version. The crystals are of a certain type that can create their own light when resonated by sonic vibrations. The light from the crystal is then focused and shot straight out of the handle. A light refractor is used to bend the light at a specific end-point and return it to the pommel where it's energy is then used to recharge the sabers power cell. This is why it is commonly assumed that such a weapon does not need recharging. It is in fact not that it doesn;t need recharging, but that it is constantly recharging itself.

Now for the unofficial reference:

Lightsaber

traditional Jedi weapon, used much like a sword. It consists of cylindrical handle in which sophisticated circuits channel a beam of light through a series of jewels, which modulate the blade's size and amplitude. It was considered one of the Jedi students' final challenges to construct their own lightsaber. Many Jedi Masters stressed the lightsaber as a true test of their apprentice's progress, for the the lightsaber's power is great. A true Jedi Knight only uses the lightsaber for defense, never attack, and there is a great deal of patience involved with learning this. Some Masters also use the lightsaber as a way to get their apprentices to focus their minds on the Force, for it takes a great deal of skill to wield one. The mechanics of a lightsaber are simple, although the application of them takes great skill and concentration. A novice Jedi Knight should be able to create his first lightsaber in about a month. A trained Jedi Master can, in a hurry, could construct one in a few days. Note that the Star Wars Journal: The Fight for Justice indicates that a Jedi is given his lightsaber on his first day of training. Every lightsaber contained these basic components: a power cell, a handgrip, an activation plate or stud, a safety switch, a blade-length adjuster, an emitter matrix, and recharge socket, a lens assembly, at least one focusing crystal, a power conduit, and an optional belt ring. When activated, internal power cells create photoelectric energy which is focused through one, two, or three multi-facted crystals. In the lightsabers of the Jedi Knights, these crystals were found in nature, a task which reqruied the Jedi to focus their concentration on selecting a stone which would focus the energy and not explode. More often than not, the Jedi Knights of the Old Republic used crystals which emitted blue or green blades. The Sith, however, used synthetic crystals formed in incredibly hot ovens, using their emotional control of the Force to assist in the formation of the stone. These Sith crystals generated a red blade which had the unusual strength to cleave a normal lightsaber blade in to. The energy was formed into a tight, parallel beam of coherent packets. These packets are emitted through a positively-charges, continuous energy lens which projects the packets away from the lightsaber. The packets are almost immediately attracted back to the lightsaber by a negatively-charged, high-energy flux aperature, and then continually recycled to create the glowing blade. The packets are recycled by a superconductor back into the power cell for re-energizing. The entire process is completely contained. No energy is lost, since the light in the blade is recaptured. No heat is generated, either. The only energy loss occurs when the blade strikes an object. When Obi-Wan Kenobi began teaching Luke Skywalker how to use his father's lightsaber, Kenobi began by showing Luke the basic body positions used by the Jedi. There were seven attack positions, and four defensive positions. Each attack or defense position flowed into the next, creating a smooth, continual motion. To perform them all in sequence takes concentration, skill, and stamina.

D_S pretty much gave enough info on the lightsaber, so I won't touch that. :D

To swap to flies in one blow here:

To DarkLordJoethe8 and *BBC|ObiWannabe:

Welcome to the SWGalaxies.Net Forum!!! :)

I'm Jan Gaarni, XO of the Official Welcomming Committee and Moderator of this place.

Be sure to check out the Read This First thread at the top of this forum, as it contains some guidelines on how to behave, if you haven't all ready. :)

Most here are friendly and the aggression level is far from what you will find in the Official SWG Boards, so I'm sure you will like it here.

Please feel free to stay as long as you want. :)

And have some chocolate covered gnorts. :D Complementary Juztyn. :p

Also be sure to check out the SWGalaxies.Net site which is connected to these forums. :)

We hope you enjoy your stay here on the SWGalaxies.Net Forums. :)

To answer the original question, I would guess they will make the crystals quested, and the quest obviously only available to Padawans, and in some form of secrecy. If there was a planet to farm crystals, or a single quest giver, all a bounty hunter would have to do is camp that resource and start cataloging FS PCs. I would imagine all the pieces would be quested to maintain this secrecy.

MadMardigan

Archived