Home

Whoo!

Clefo

I live in one of the lower ranking states in the US! And there aren't any rednecks to blame!

47th in % of regestered voters!

2nd in population growth!

48th in student expenditure (As in, how much do we spend on students, more on this later)

45th in children below the poverty level!

2nd in dropout rates

And this is the one I'm proud of:

FIRST IN CRIME RATE BABY, BEAT THAT!

Of course, we can't fix most of this stuff because we have a monster deficit... Why do we have that? Well "Republican Govenor" "Corrupt" and "Arizona" are synonyms where I come from.

Yes,.. but you didn't get 30+ inches of snow last night. Wanna trade?

Arizona is also the state of one of the few conservative politicians I can actually respect and admire: Sen. John McCain.

I met and talked to him once, seems like he's on the ball. I may have actually voted for him.

Originally posted by edlib

Arizona is also the state of one of the few conservative politicians I can actually respect and admire: Sen. John McCain.

That's because he's a liberal in Republican clothing. He is good on some things though.

Anyway, down here in NC we've got an inch of snow, but we're still out of school, so that's good. Not sure where we rank on all this stuff, but we sure have a large deficit to go along with our Democratic governor.

Originally posted by Tie Guy

That's because he's a liberal in Republican clothing. He is good on some things though.

That must be why I like him. Actually, the definition of the political views he holds I've heard described as was "old-school" conservative, as opposed to the "neo-conservatives" that are currently running the Republican party. (I'm not totally sure of all the differences though.)

Pat Buchanan also describes himself that way, and I also agree with a surprising amount of his views as well. I find them both FAR more moderate than the current Republican mainstream.

And I completely support McCain's campaign finance reform ideas. I'm immediately suspicious of anybody who opposes them.

Not sure where we rank on all this stuff, but we sure have a large deficit to go along with our Democratic governor.

Yeah, but the nation will soon have an even bigger one thanks to our Republican government. ;) But I'm sure that's gotta be different somehow. :D

Originally posted by edlib

Yeah, but the nation will soon have an even bigger one thanks to our Republican government. ;) But I'm sure that's gotta be different somehow. :D

Yeah, but the Federal Government can have one, States are supposed to be allowed to.

As for Campaign finance reform, it just denies people the right to opinion. Shouldn't everyone be able to contribute however much they want? And really Democrats make more money in the donations that would be banned than Republicans do, so i'm not quite sure exactly why i'm complaining. I guess it's because the Democrats would get all the positive liberal media coverage and Republicans would next to none.

Anyway, down here in NC we've got an inch of snow, but we're still out of school, so that's good. Not sure where we rank on all this stuff, but we sure have a large deficit to go along with our Democratic governor.

Hey, I still had school and work. I got shafted. Anyway, Durham, NC has the highest murder/area size in the entire US. And, Pitt County (ECU territory) has the highest number of HIV possitive cases on the East Coast.

Those are the worest numbers that I know of around here.

It's amazing how people freaked out to buy the wood when there wouldn't be that much after all. :rolleyes: Red necks! :p

Yeah, but the Federal Government can have one, States are supposed to be allowed to.

As far as I see it: a deficit is a deficit, and not a good thing for either to have.

As for Campaign finance reform, it just denies people the right to opinion. Shouldn't everyone be able to contribute however much they want? And really Democrats make more money in the donations that would be banned than Republicans do, so i'm not quite sure exactly why i'm complaining. I guess it's because the Democrats would get all the positive liberal media coverage and Republicans would next to none.

Like I said, I'm immediately suspicious of ANYONE who opposes finance reform, Dem or GOP, and I would be highly unlikely to show my support for any politician on either side who actively comes out against it.

Big-money special interest groups bought out our government a long time ago, which is why I think most Americans show little inclination for the electoral process anymore. If you really don't believe your opinion matters because you don't have the kind of money that other groups have to donate to gain access, why bother ever being involved in the first place?

And I still don't believe the press is as liberal as you make it,.. but that's another debate.

I'll never understand your two-party american government... I've tried, many, many times, and it still doesn't make sense.

We've got 4 official parties up here, and they're even color-coded!

The Liberal party (or "Grits" as they're nicknamed, and red) is currently in power (federally) and is red.

The Canadian Alliance party (or just Alliance) is the official opposition and is green.

The Progressive Conservative party (commonly known as PC, and nicknamed the "Tories") is in power in my province, and is blue.

The New Democratic Party (commonly known as NDP) is orange.

Personally, I'm a Grit, though I do like the way the Tories are running my province. I'm also undecided as to whether or not the Alliance is communist or facist. They might even be a little of both... By the way, I'm being dead serious about my views of the Alliance. They're bad news any way you cut the cookie.

We have more than 2 parties too. It's just that nobody pays attention to any of the others. I believe that in time that will change, since the main 2 parties have become so extremist at either end of the spectrum that people like myself with more moderate ideals will start to seek out politcal alternatives.

(For the record: I have strong liberal views, but am NOT a Democrat. I disagree with almost as many things on the Democrat's platform as I do the Republican's.)

Unfortunately, most of the BIG money goes to one or the other of the big 2.

Campaign finace reform could change that, which is why so many people are opposed to it, I believe.

I agree he's no true Republican. But he's no where near being a liberal either. He's as far from being a Republican as he is from being a LIberal. He has his own category.

I like the fact that he speaks his mind and wont vote on party lines.

I'll never understand your two-party american government... I've tried, many, many times, and it still doesn't make sense.

We've got 4 official parties up here, and they're even color-coded!

The Liberal party (or "Grits" as they're nicknamed, and red) is currently in power (federally) and is red.

The Canadian Alliance party (or just Alliance) is the official opposition and is green.

The Progressive Conservative party (commonly known as PC, and nicknamed the "Tories") is in power in my province, and is blue.

The New Democratic Party (commonly known as NDP) is orange.

Yeah, that's not at all confusing.;)

We've got more than 2 parties. Yeah the other parties suck but that doesn't mean they shouldn't exist(god, I wish they didn't exist).:D

We have more than 2 parties too. It's just that nobody pays attention to any of the others. I believe that in time that will change, since the main 2 parties have become so extremist at either end of the spectrum that people like myself with more moderate ideals will start to seek out politcal alternatives.

Problem with the USA (in my opinion) is that it takes a houndred truckloads of money to run a presidental election campaign, which means that basically the position of president is reserved to the high class and upper middle class. Seems that way to me, at least.

I think, sorry TIE Guy, that there should be a limit to how much money a single person (or corporation) can throw into a campaign. Everyone should be able to support their party as much, regardless of what class they're in.

Originally posted by Dagobahn Eagle

Problem with the USA (in my opinion) is that it takes a houndred truckloads of money to run a presidental election campaign, which means that basically the position of president is reserved to the high class and upper middle class. Seems that way to me, at least.

No, all you need really is the support of the party. Candidates usually don't use much, if any, of their own money to run campaigns. Being rich doesn't hurt, of course, as it can help you get started and nominated, but it certainly isn't neccessary. Ever heard of a guy by the name of Abraham Lincoln? Most of the tales about his childhood are legend, but he was lower class.

I think, sorry TIE Guy, that there should be a limit to how much money a single person (or corporation) can throw into a campaign. Everyone should be able to support their party as much, regardless of what class they're in.

Alright, then no money at all should be allowed, because the poor can't give anything. The rich have more, they have to pay a lot more taxes, they should be able to give more to support their views.

Alright, then no money at all should be allowed, because the poor can't give anything. The rich have more, they have to pay a lot more taxes, they should be able to give more to support their views.

WARNING! HERE COME THOSE LIBERAL IDEALS AGAIN!!! ;)

That on the surface seems fair. But unfortunately, this leads to the situation where the overwhelming majority have little or no political representation, and a tiny minority have all the immediate influence.

What's the percentage of people in this country who can really afford to donate significant funds (say,.. I don't know... $10,000 or more, and that seems like a pretty low number to me) to a political campaign or party fund? 50%? 20? 10? Less?

So now you end up with a tiny, wealthy, elitist fraction of the American population who has the most access to and influence with policymakers, who owe them a favor for thier generous contribution.

Like you said, the poor can't afford to contribute anything, so they will have the least access to be heard, but it seems to me that they are exactly the ones who need their voices heard the most.

Are billionare guys like Bill Gates and Michael Dell (or, if you prefer, the Hollywood elite) really going to go out of thier way to try to influence policies that will affect the under-represented 70 or 80% of the nation, even if those policies might affect the operation of thier own companies in the long run? Are the large corporations going to do the same, especially if those policies may enact changes that will enforce controls on those corporations, and perhaps cut into profits?

Maybe. But I wouldn't count on it. Doesn't seem very realistic to me to believe that would happen.

So you end up with a very rich minority with the majority of the influence pulling strings to protect their own intrests, which may just happen to conflict with the intrests the poorer, much larger majority with little influence and power to do anything about it.

And trust me, I truly believe this is a bi-partisan problem. I don't for a second believe the Dems are any less influenced by contributions than the Republicans... if anything even more so. But I do think something should be done to make the system a little less one-sided in favor of the wealthy.

Canada's got more than 4 parties too... Last time I checked there were over 1000 registered parties (including "Communist", "Marxist", "Facist", and "Leninist" parties) in Canada... Of course, last year's combined total votes for those 4 parties was a barely a triple digit figure...

But the Grits, Tories, NDP, and Alliance (and the Bloc Quebecois, which only runs in, you guessed it, Quebec) are the only parties with "official party status", meaning they got enough seats to qualify for government funding.

Archived