Home

WIP: SP Forre Saade Tales

Neø

Ok, this is WIP, my first SP 'Mission' that I'm thinking of releasing, and I'm hoping it will have about 3 to 5 maps. I've been practicing for a while getting Geometry right etc so I hope it not bad and the FPS is fine atm on my comp.

Here are some screenies, and for the model I've edited the skin slightly and I am going to e-mail the makers with a request for using it (unless one of 'em read this then could ya tell me now).

Ok, here are some screenies, and I will type up the story when I have some more time and I'm not so tired.

Anyway, heres the shots(early shots) :

shot0000.jpg

shot0001.jpg

shot0002.jpg

Thats it for now, probably some new shots in the next few days.

Screenshots look like a good start. But that says nothing about whether this is a "quality SP level." I hope it's not just here-you-are-in-an-Imperial-base-so-go-kill-people, or the "easy way out" you're-a-prisoner-so-get-out. Here's the showcase forum, showcase the plot! (Unless, of course, it's top secret at this point...;))

Good call on that Wedge.

THe geometry is looking fairly good... but the texturing, IMHO, is simply atrocious. I HOPE that's another thing that's far from finalized.

I do like those floor lights, though. To be honest, that idea hadn't even occured to me on any of my maps... I've always been a fan of wall-mounted sconces or overheads.

Keep up your work... I'd like to see a better textured area, though, if you have one.

Shadriss, when you say that are you referring to the textures used or the way they are put together?

If its the textures got any ideas of what textures should be used instead (Bespin style, Nar Shadaa etc) and I can't really make my own textures 'cause I'm not good at that (unless someone would make 'em for me).

Originally posted by Shadriss

Mostly, HOW they are used. THose edgings on teh desk drew my attention here... they aren't even lined up well. Just look at little things like that. :)

That's the trick, always. There's never anything wrong with the textures you use, as long as you stick to a sort of theme for your map (or just individual rooms, the way a command center would look different from a maintenance duct or a prison cell or a hangar). The key is making the different surfaces flow together: making sure that edges meet, that a wall doesn't abruptly change color as you move along it, that panels line up properly. Make good use of the surface inspector and its ability to stretch, rotate, and shift textures on individual surfaces. Also remember that in very few cases should you stretch a texture in some ratio other than 1:1. Look at that curved tunnel you made: the ceiling texture is stretched more along the width of the tunnel than the height. Curves, actually, are very tricky to texture, in JK2Radiant, use the "natural" or "cap" options of the surface inspector, in GtkRadiant, use those option plus the patch inspector (SHIFT+S).

I'll have to agree with what Shadriss and Wedge have been saying. Mind your textures, but also keep in mind that curves and patches add a natural looking beauty to your maps. Just be careful how you texture them, as it's easy to make the texturing on curves look like total crap.

Looks good, architecture is inventive (maybe a few more little details in places), and lighting is atmospheric. I am really impressed by the use of a custom skin, that's something a lot of SP mappers seem to have problems with, and it can add a lot to a level. One bit of advice I can think of: be careful not to be too ambitious. That doesn't mean set your sights low and make another generic kill-everything level like Wedge said, but just be careful not to aim for a 50 hour playing time epic with 5 hours of cinematics, 300 minutes of voice acting, a new saber combat system, and a battle featuring over 3000 combatants...I'm possibly exagerating a litte, but it's really frustrating to see all the great ideas by really talented SP mappers that are never realised because they aimed for such an enormous project that they found it overwhelming and soon give up. 3-5 maps for instance could be a bit on the ambitious side, but that does depend on the size of each map etc, so I'm not saying it definately IS too much, just that it might be worth cutting that up and releasing it in sections, maybe a map at a time. Just my opinion :)

Everything Wedge said about textures is great advice (I was taking notes!), even if he (indirectly) mocked the plot of most of my levels!!! :mob:

Originally posted by wedge2211

Awww, I wanna battle with 3000 combatants!!!!

*just watched Gladiator*

The only way you're gonna realistically get that many opponents is if you go into the middle of a crowded area and start shouting abuse! :)

Archived