Home

Great Battle - CPU Problems

T-0NIC

I´m thinking about making a mod, the finale would be a great battle. And now I want to know: What would be the computer requirements if there were 100 NPCs in one map ( 50 good guys and 50 evil guys)? And what about the FPS?

This isn't really the type of question one normally asks in the Swamp.

However, I don't think that the Q3 Engine is even *capable* of putting that many models in a map, no matter what type of processor you had.

You could have 100 total, but they'd have to come in waves.

Well, a good idea would be to put some sort of "fog," (I don't know much about JKII map making, only Half Life map making) I.E. Sprites, so it looks like they fade out, but then have no men behind the fog, and then you would have either waves of men come, or when one dies another one comes out until 100 have come out, so you could reduce the total in the map to about 20 or so, but giving the illusion that there are many more.

The number of NPCs has a huge impact on the FPS. Of course, my computer is only 1000MHz, so it's not exactly the strongest thing on the market, but still my map contains a hall with about 30 NPCs and even that lowers the FPS considerably (I can tell, because after you have started killing those poor STs, the FPS will soar up). 100 NPCs at once... No hope of playing that map on my computer.

In the end, the only way is to try. However, you should also remember that the bigger the open area is, with no VIS blocks, the lower the FPS will be anyway, with or without NPCs (assuming you have a decently detailed map with shaders and curves). "A great battle" does sound somewhat grandiose in that respect.

If you don't already have the architecture built, just make a very large hall with some hastily built details, perhaps some models, then add 50 NPCs. If the FPS goes down, you can be sure that it's even lower in the final product. Still, everything's worth trying.

Archived