Last thing I remember

I was running for the door

I had to find the passage back to the place I was before

Relax said the nightman

We are programed to recieve

You can check out any time you like

But you can never leave

Was looking around and found this:

One of the top songs of the 70's was "Hotel California" by the Eagles. Most people have no idea the song refers to the Church of Satan, which happens to be located in a converted HOTEL on CALIFORNIA street. Some of the lyrics: "And in the master's chambers, They are gathered for the feast, They stab it with their steely knives, but they just can't kill the beast." Inside the album, looking down on the festivities, is none other than Anton Lavey, the founder of the Church of Satan and author of the Satanic Bible. The Eagles manager, Larry Salter, admitted in the Waco Tribune-Herald, (Feb. 28, 1982) that the Eagles were involved with the Church of Satan. Not surprisingly, one of the Eagles's songs is titled "Have A Good Day in Hell."{ and of corse... album title Hell frezze Over}. The song itself tells of him passing out on the road and dying. The warm smell of colitas is a drink, and he passes out drunk...seeing a "light" off in the distance. His "stay" at the hotel is actually hell...and once he finds this out, it's too late for him to escape.

Well...that sorta ruined it for me :/

Originally posted by RpTheHotrod

One of the top songs of the 70's was "Hotel California" by the Eagles. Most people have no idea the song refers to the Church of Satan, which happens to be located in a converted HOTEL on CALIFORNIA street. Some of the lyrics: "And in the master's chambers, They are gathered for the feast, They stab it with their steely knives, but they just can't kill the beast." Inside the album, looking down on the festivities, is none other than Anton Lavey, the founder of the Church of Satan and author of the Satanic Bible. The Eagles manager, Larry Salter, admitted in the Waco Tribune-Herald, (Feb. 28, 1982) that the Eagles were involved with the Church of Satan. Not surprisingly, one of the Eagles's songs is titled "Have A Good Day in Hell."{ and of corse... album title Hell frezze Over}. The song itself tells of him passing out on the road and dying. The warm smell of colitas is a drink, and he passes out drunk...seeing a "light" off in the distance. His "stay" at the hotel is actually hell...and once he finds this out, it's too late for him to escape.

Well...that sorta ruined it for me :/

i dont care i still like the song.

This is only my humble opinion: I think that song is about drug addictions or some kind of addiction.... if you read closely:

"You can check out any time you like

But you can never leave "

It's like an addiction, once you get started is very difficult to get out, don't you think?

And some others parts of the lyrics are related to this theory.

'You can check out any time you like, but you just can't ever leave."

Hmm..it's a good thing that unsaved sinners can check out of hell when they want to. :)

/sarcasm

Like Rebel Spy said, I am pretty sure it's about some sort of addiction, and not the firey furnace.

One of my favorite songs of all times. I still love it despite this supposed meaning.

Relax said the nightman

we are programed to recieve

"You can check out anytime you like

but you just can't ever leave"

kickass guitar solo...

Originally posted by RpTheHotrod

I'm just saying, this stuff came from the manager of the Eagles.

Ah yes, from the manager... the one who wrote the songs. :rolleyes:

Even if they were affiliated with the Church of Satan, there's much less reference to that then there is to some type of drug addiction (be it alcohol or narcotics).

And aside from all of that, the Eagles did a lot of drugs in the 60s and 70s, so i'm sure that influenced the song as well.

I too was infromed of this through a youth group session I learned in the earyly 90's that "Hotel California" was indeed about a trip to Hell. It was questionable in content, but remains one of my favorite Eagle's songs to date. My favorite is actually, "One of these Nights".

Archived